To anyone that read Lords and Ladies BEFORE Witches Abroad

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

To anyone that read Lords and Ladies BEFORE Witches Abroad

Postby Beyond Birthday » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:31 am

To anyone that read Lords and Ladies BEFORE Witches Abroad: Does Lords and Ladies make sense without reading Witches Abroad?
Beyond Birthday

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:39 am

Yes. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Beyond Birthday » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:51 am

So I'll be able to understand the characters/their motivations etc. without being lost? This would be my first Witches book.
Beyond Birthday

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:23 am

Yes! :D
poohcarrot

Postby Beyond Birthday » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:43 am

Thank you.
Beyond Birthday

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am

You're welcome. :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 am

Never a man to waste words i see. :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Yes, II.

Witches Abroad, like Maskerade, kind of stand outside the main narrative arc of the series, which focused on Lancre. If you just read Wyrd Sisters, Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum as your main meal, you could save the other two as dessert, although if you can read them in order, it's still preferable.

The only think you miss by not reading WA before LL is a little bit of context for some of the character motivations, particularly Magrat. But it stands very well by itself.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm

I've read all the witches series in publication order 'cos I've been reading Terry since the mid 80's (after Light Fantastic).

Like Pooh and Raisindot say it really doesn't matter what order they're read in as the chain of events are sort of distinct from each other and the focus keeps the previous one having too much of an effect on the antagonist or plot content of the 'present' one.

This is more or less common to all of the Discworld serial lines except the Watch ones, up to Jingo perhaps, as the progression/development there is important, with the Watch growing ever more influential and diverse :wink: All the others stand up OK in isolation, although the publication order for the serials does make them more satisfying to re-read funnily enough - but maybe that's just the pedant in me :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote: All the others stand up OK in isolation, although the publication order for the serials does make them more satisfying to re-read funnily enough - but maybe that's just the pedant in me :lol:

Yes! :P
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:39 am

With these questions I always think the only person who CAN answer is another person who has read Lords and Ladies before the witches books. Some of the DW books do stand alone; we all know that, but our brains don't "unlearn" what we already know about the characters or places as they appear in another book. (and no puns about Altzheimers please :D ) Its not that you CAN'T read one book before another. The question should be: "Would I enjoy Lords and Ladies more if I read the witches books first".
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:36 am

deldaisy wrote:With these questions I always think the only person who CAN answer is another person who has read Lords and Ladies before the witches books. Some of the DW books do stand alone; we all know that, but our brains don't "unlearn" what we already know about the characters or places as they appear in another book. (and no puns about Altzheimers please :D ) Its not that you CAN'T read one book before another. The question should be: "Would I enjoy Lords and Ladies more if I read the witches books first".

To which I say you really should read them in order.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:19 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote: All the others stand up OK in isolation, although the publication order for the serials does make them more satisfying to re-read funnily enough - but maybe that's just the pedant in me :lol:

Yes! :P

*yawns and buffs nails...* 8)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 am

I actually did read Witches Abroad after Lords and Ladies, but thanks to the Internet and the Discworld Companion, I wasn't exactly lost.

In fact, the last Discworld book I ever read before having read every book in continuity was actually Equal Rites, although I forget whether I had read Wintersmith before or after it. But after that, I've read each one that's come out in sequence, though that's only three books (Making Money, Unseen Academicals, and I Shall Wear Midnight).

I think the first ever Discworld book that I ever read was Soul Music, as I had played a demo of the PS1 version of Discworld II (but never got around to buying the full game, and probably won't get a chance now) and had seen the animation of Soul Music.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Beyond Birthday » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 pm

As of about two days ago I've started reading Lords and Ladies.
Beyond Birthday

Next

Return to Discworld novels