How many Discworld novels have you read?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How many Discworld novels have you read?

None
0
No votes
1-5
2
4%
6-10
3
7%
11-15
0
No votes
16-20
1
2%
21-25
0
No votes
26-30
1
2%
31-35
5
11%
35-38
34
74%
 
Total votes : 46

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:40 pm

deldaisy wrote:I have read all the TP books and the Science of the Discworld and "Where's My Cow?" but what are the "diaries" of which you all speak?

Also... last year my daughter gave me a very large book about Unseen University. You cut it out and put it together. I have never seen it listed in the front of TP books. Looks like an engineering nightmare. I secretly think she gave it to me to "F&%$ with my mind" as she knows I would hate to cut it up... and where would I put it when I DID put it together? I am toying with the idea of giving it to an former boss of mine from 20 years ago (a retired engineer). He and his wife are HUGE DW fans, but I would hate to part with it.
That was sold by Bernard the Cunning Artificer shop in Wincanton http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalog.php though I think they have sold out now.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14787
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:29 am

I bought 2 from Amazon, one to keep and one to make
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
User avatar
The Mad Collector
Member
 
Posts: 10131
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 am
Location: Ironbridge UK

Postby pip » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 am

I think its still available in a few shops.

Nearly sure i've seen it several times.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:42 am

pip wrote:I think its still available in a few shops.

Nearly sure i've seen it several times.


Seen it a few times too. to scared to make it, though + a bit pricey :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby pip » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 am

'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Postby andrew » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Well...

After viewing the poll results I feel utterly shamed. I supposed I had better get reading right now!

Having only read a few Discworld novels on and off I've decided to start from the beginning. I read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic not too long ago and am now just half-way through Equal Rites.

Thankfully it's still winter (and what a winter it is!), which I find to be the best season of the year curl up with a good book.

A big thank-you to everyone for all of your responses.
User avatar
andrew
New member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 am
Location: Isle of Man, British Isles

Postby DaveC » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm

andrew wrote:Well...

After viewing the poll results I feel utterly shamed. I supposed I had better get reading right now!

Having only read a few Discworld novels on and off I've decided to start from the beginning. I read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic not too long ago and am now just half-way through Equal Rites.

Thankfully it's still winter (and what a winter it is!), which I find to be the best season of the year curl up with a good book.

A big thank-you to everyone for all of your responses.


Cool, I remember Equal Rites being the first one I properly loved. :D

Good luck with the rest of the series hope to see you round here lots.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

How many DW novels read

Postby james.a.vivian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:36 pm

I own and have read all of Terry's books over the last 7 years.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
User avatar
james.a.vivian
Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Antiq » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:08 am

I have quite a way to go yet, but I've read about 30 or so. I own 28 so far, and I know I've read a few more than that. When I posess them all I'll start all over again :D :D :D
Carpe Jugulum
User avatar
Antiq
Member
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby james.a.vivian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:32 am

Thank god I've joined this group, it's inspired me to reread all of the books again.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
User avatar
james.a.vivian
Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Little Miss Kiwi Chick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:23 am

I am reading them with a friend so we can talk about them with each other a we go. Unfortunately he does not read them as fast as I do. However, now that I have discovered this site, I may just jump in and read them as fast as I want to...

Tried reading Strata and put it down. Just could not get into it.

Struggeled with Pyramids and Small Gods, loved Mort, Reaper Man, Witches Abroard and Soul Music. Have re-read most of them up to Soul Music (publication order) except the two I struggled with.

Keep asking for Diaries for Christmas but nobody obliges. And Nanny's Cookbook (again nobody obliges - perhaps scared I will follow the recipes for their next meal?)

Started reading some of the Science of the Discworld but prefer the novels.

Loved the Diggers series, forced my class to listen to it one year - well Diggers anyway. Some of them got the humour (9-10 year olds).

Started on the Johnny Maxwell Series.

My 2-year-old likes Where's My Cow so he's off to a good start in his literature.
Little Miss Kiwi Chick
New member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:18 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Little Miss Kiwi Chick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:25 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
deldaisy wrote:I have read all the TP books and the Science of the Discworld and "Where's My Cow?" but what are the "diaries" of which you all speak?

Also... last year my daughter gave me a very large book about Unseen University. You cut it out and put it together. I have never seen it listed in the front of TP books. Looks like an engineering nightmare. I secretly think she gave it to me to "F&%$ with my mind" as she knows I would hate to cut it up... and where would I put it when I DID put it together? I am toying with the idea of giving it to an former boss of mine from 20 years ago (a retired engineer). He and his wife are HUGE DW fans, but I would hate to part with it.
That was sold by Bernard the Cunning Artificer shop in Wincanton http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalog.php though I think they have sold out now.


Easily available in New Zealand, try Whitcoulls online shop = www.whitcoulls.co.nz or if you get really stuck, message me. :wink:
Little Miss Kiwi Chick
New member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:18 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby FirstoftheGangtoDie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:33 am

A pathetic 32. I haven't read all the tiffany aching ones or eric or one of the blasted witches ones orrrrr the one avec le catty cat. I should get on that really.
...I swear I'm too young to feel this old
User avatar
FirstoftheGangtoDie
Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Reading/Peterborough

Postby Antiq » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am

FirstoftheGangtoDie wrote:A pathetic 32. I haven't read all the tiffany aching ones or eric or one of the blasted witches ones orrrrr the one avec le catty cat. I should get on that really.

Maurice is excellent, so is Eric (my favourite Rincewind book) and the Tiffany Aching series is among my all-time favourites. It's lovely not to have read a bunch of them yet, it means such first-time treats ahead :)
Carpe Jugulum
User avatar
Antiq
Member
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby DaveC » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:58 am

Little Miss Kiwi Chick wrote:I am reading them with a friend so we can talk about them with each other a we go. Unfortunately he does not read them as fast as I do. However, now that I have discovered this site, I may just jump in and read them as fast as I want to...

Tried reading Strata and put it down. Just could not get into it.

Struggeled with Pyramids and Small Gods, loved Mort, Reaper Man, Witches Abroard and Soul Music. Have re-read most of them up to Soul Music (publication order) except the two I struggled with.

Keep asking for Diaries for Christmas but nobody obliges. And Nanny's Cookbook (again nobody obliges - perhaps scared I will follow the recipes for their next meal?)

Started reading some of the Science of the Discworld but prefer the novels.

Loved the Diggers series, forced my class to listen to it one year - well Diggers anyway. Some of them got the humour (9-10 year olds).

Started on the Johnny Maxwell Series.

My 2-year-old likes Where's My Cow so he's off to a good start in his literature.


I got the Cookbook for Christmas! :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests