What will he do next?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What will he do next?

Postby shawbizzle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been covered before but I've been thinking about what Terry may parody next?

There has been the clacks parodying a basic internet, Thud arguably looking at fundamentalists (I know there is a lot of debate over this on the Thud discussion) amongst others.

If you could chose something to be introduced to the Discworld, what would it be and what context or series would it be in?

How about Agnes in Ankh-Morpork's Got Talent? Victor from Moving Pictures goes into Politics a la Arnie? Perhaps a Bond parody with one of the Cable Street Particulars? Let me know your thoughts..

Cheers chaps and chapettes!
“You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.”
shawbizzle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Welcome to the site, shawbizzle! :D

It seems as if the next book may be called 'Snuff' - but we don't have much info on that. Maybe the tobacco industry? It's likely to be a City Watch book, or at least a Sam Vimes one.

There was talk a while ago of Ankh-Morpork getting an underground railway because of the events in Thud!, but that doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere. I guess we need to wait and see. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:53 am

I always liked the idea of the Watch investigating a JFK style assassination, but the political back drop of Ankh Morpork wouldn't work for this scenario. A new city probably would.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby mspanners » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:14 am

Tax system......... Moist as head man. 8)
mspanners

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 am

Beautiful Dirt wrote:I always liked the idea of the Watch investigating a JFK style assassination, but the political back drop of Ankh Morpork wouldn't work for this scenario. A new city probably would.

That was Jingo! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby michelanCello » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:12 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Beautiful Dirt wrote:I always liked the idea of the Watch investigating a JFK style assassination, but the political back drop of Ankh Morpork wouldn't work for this scenario. A new city probably would.

That was Jingo! :D

I agree there with Pooh. The assassination attempt at the beginning is very JFK-like...

Welcome to the site, by the way, shawbizzle! :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:12 am

I knew someone would say that! The assassination attempt in Jingo does mirror the dual gunmen that was theorized in JFK but the book as a whole examines cultural differences and international politics.

I meant a story that mirrors the implications of such an event; conspiracy theories, conflicting forensic analysis, unreleased documents and unanswered questions. Things like that are interesting because they are a mystery.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby One Man Bucket » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 am

We've got set up for the tax system and the subway system.
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 am

Beautiful Dirt wrote:I meant a story that mirrors the implications of such an event; conspiracy theories, conflicting forensic analysis, unreleased documents and unanswered questions. Things like that are interesting because they are a mystery.

Um...wasn't all that Jingo too? :?
poohcarrot

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:52 am

Think we'll have to agree to disagree Pooh, I enjoyed Jingo immensely but that's not how I perceived the theme of the book :wink:
Beautiful Dirt

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 am

I'd like to see Vetinari replaced by the first Matrician, Paris Halan, (possibly an anagram there :wink: ) who is a devout believer in Nescafe, the god of coffee. She believes the Disc was created 63 years ago, is against maturbation, used to be a witch, and is in favour of implanting human brains into mice.

Every home in A-M has an omnivision device (like TV but they can also see what you are doing), and the religious police arrest anyone they feel like, for whatever reason, and ship them off to work camps in Sto Lat

The new Matrician is completely barking, resulting in the destruction of the entire Disc by the end of chapter 3.

It's a very short book. :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Penfold » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:25 am

poohcarrot wrote:......Every home in A-M has an omnivision device (like TV but they can also see what you are doing)......

You mean a bit like when you forget that your skype is still switched on and you treat your friends to live views of your nasal excavations then? :wink: (That could be the least of your potentially embarrassing worries really; I remember borrowing a film on video from friends who had forgotten that they had already used it to record one of those home movies and, even worse, forgotten to erase it afterwards. :oops: )
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:27 am

But Pooh! We read these books fast enough as it is :lol:
Beautiful Dirt

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:43 am

poohcarrot wrote:I'd like to see Vetinari replaced by the first Matrician, Paris Halan, (possibly an anagram there :wink: ) who is a devout believer in Nescafe, the god of coffee. She believes the Disc was created 63 years ago, is against maturbation, used to be a witch, and is in favour of implanting human brains into mice.

Every home in A-M has an omnivision device (like TV but they can also see what you are doing), and the religious police arrest anyone they feel like, for whatever reason, and ship them off to work camps in Sto Lat

The new Matrician is completely barking, resulting in the destruction of the entire Disc by the end of chapter 3.

It's a very short book. :lol:
SAme as the Episode from Dr.Who the one with being spied on through your TV set. :wink:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 am

Penfold wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:......Every home in A-M has an omnivision device (like TV but they can also see what you are doing)......

You mean a bit like when you forget that your skype is still switched on and you treat your friends to live views of your nasal excavations then? :wink: (That could be the least of your potentially embarrassing worries really; I remember borrowing a film on video from friends who had forgotten that they had already used it to record one of those home movies and, even worse, forgotten to erase it afterwards. :oops: )
But you still watched it anyway. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Discworld novels