Inconsistencies in Discworld books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Yup, that is correct. How Mort and Ysabell died is another story.

Carriage crash on Dead Man's Curve.
kakaze

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:24 am

The one inconsistancy that has changed has been Igor in Beers. From the ealier books we are lead to believe that he is the classic Igor from Frankenstien moives. But as it eveloves we saw two types of Igors from 5th Elephant and the one in Beers.

But I think in Thud! this character has been changed to someone who calls himself as Igor to give the bar a certain feel. An since 5th Elephant there hasn't been an Igor in A-M so the bartender in Beers had no one to say that he wasn't a proper Igor.

But now PTerry has fixed that troublesome little knot! So as stated ealier in this thread that this just shows that characters can evolve at the writers descretion, which is fine by me. Since we as a reader evolve with them and our experiences in life change as well in our views.

Does that make any sense what I just wrote? Working all night and trying to make sense does not make good bed fellows! :lol:
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Belphegor » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:44 pm

I don't know if this thread's the right one to ask this, but I'd like details on Unseen University (from a student's point of view) and Rincewind in particular. Assuming it's a mirror to British universities isn't exactly much help, because I know very little about them (being French) except that Oxford is absolutely gorgeous (at least it was 6 years ago when I visited it :) )

Do you enter as a student at 18? How long are you supposed to stay? Do you "graduate"?

Consider Rincewind - doesn't have a first name (though that's probably due to CoM and LF being more "straight" fantasy parodies than the next books), no family as far as he knows - where was he until he enrolled at UU? How old was he in CoM and how many years since he got out/was kicked out?
Just erotic, nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.
Belphegor

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm

I seem to remember there was some stuff in Equal Rites about application processes, & exams get a brief mention in Moving Pictures. Possibly someone somewhere has compiled detailed inner workings of the UU system.

As for Rincewind - the man's an enigma :wink:

But really, with a few exceptions, we don't get a lot of backstory for other characters. Otherwise, what would happen to all the fanfic?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:06 pm

If you use Equal Rites as a model then it seems that you can join at quite a young age so long as you qualify. And to qualify you need to be an eighth son of an eighth son or you need to have performed some sort of magical feat as was the case with Simon.

BUT - then you get students like Rincewind and Victor (in Moving Pictures) who don't seem to have any magical abilities.

So the simple answer is - I don't know. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Probably Terry doesn't know either, & that's why he's been deliberately vague :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Dotsie wrote:Probably Terry doesn't know either, & that's why he's been deliberately vague :lol:
Yes, Terry only visits Discworld, he doesn't live there. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Probably Terry doesn't know either, & that's why he's been deliberately vague :lol:
Yes, Terry only visits Discworld, he doesn't live there. :lol:

As our beloved author and inventor of this lil planet/universe says, " My readers know Discworld far better than I do" and he describes it as a Geological Pizza, hold the anchovies... but we keep insisting on packaging it into something we can hold on to. We are the ones who NEED discworld, and NEED him to keep being able to write them so we can get our "fixes" before withdrawal sets in. :lol: :twisted:

Can you stretch your imagination to just entertain the idea of what prices would be like if it were a REAL commodity that could be parceled out and sold?? Oh by all the small gods, imagine the KAOS that would ensue... it boggles the mind, eh? hehehe I like to think that Terry's description of two neighbors who go bonkers on each other with the hedge clippers would DEFINITELY ensue. Muahahahaha :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 pm

P.S. I loved it when he described coming up with the idea of KAOS being SOAK backwards and had to write it down and run to the bathroom mirror to check if it was truly real. :lol: :lol:

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:03 pm

i saw it straight away but my brain works a little strangely :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:05 pm

By chance, are you left handed? I am and my brain has always worked a bit oddly. :roll: :twisted:

Postby chris.ph » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:09 pm

yes i am left handed and dyslexic, its a common thing that lefties are dyslexic and can write backwards very easily, its very handy when im in the office reading the papers on my contract managers desk :lol: just like vimes does to vetinaris desk :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm

I can write backwards with ease (although it's easier to use a pen), and I can read a book upside down - the book that is, not me!
I'm right handed, so I think it could be down to visualizing thoughts.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby nattheweirdo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:05 pm

going back to inconsistensies :) up till about two days ago it hadn't uccourred to me...but weren't the trolls ffrom colour of magic/the light fantastic boulders during the day? Ankh Morpork trolls dont semm to be eg. Detritus... I deduced that it may be due to his cooling helmet but other trolls in Moving Pictues are up during the day as well i believe...any ideas? maybe a point has been made in the story and i just missed it but i dunno xD sorry if someone already brough this up i only read till page 4 :S:S

x Nattheweirdo
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:47 am

This has sort of been explained that they have and carry 'the kit' as it is called in Thud! The vampires have a large brim hat, sun block and an emergancey bottle of the b-vord, MY VORD YES! as Otto would say.

I think that same goes for the Trolls, the use some sort of sunblock.

Also as Terry has said about how the DW has changed that before it was an inexpirenced writer writting and things have changed, or something like that.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels