Inconsistencies in Discworld books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 am

Sam wrote:Somewhere (can't remember where) Leonard of Quirm invents a machine for making coffee 'quickly': i.e. an expresso machine. But 'expresso'/'espresso' doesn't mean 'quickly'; it means 'made under pressure.'

Yes, I KNOW this was a nerdy thing to say. :D
I didn't know that. *files fact away in brain* :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:23 am

Casaninbetween wrote:
Colin wrote:I seem to recall that Terry's opinion is (something along the lines of) there are no discrepancies in the Discworld narrative... just alternative histories.
I can live with that.

I find that annoying. I want my stories to have canon! :x

Aren't there some cannons in Guards, Guards??? ;o)
Remember the monemts... They're less painful than the memories.....
Lest

Postby Lest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 am

Jinx wrote:Are we talking about "fanwanking" here?
Also who came up with that horrible term?

Sometimes it can be fun if there's something particularly challenging to explain. Like howcome in the first few books Death was made of Octarine light and could only be seen by wizards and cats who could see this particular area of the spectrum, but in later books it became a matter of just accepting what was really there in front of you?

Fanwanking sounds like something really expensive that a guacher girl would do!!! ;o)

Lest
Remember the monemts... They're less painful than the memories.....
Lest

Postby baruch menachem » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:22 pm

to take the example from the front of the thread, I think the increase in the consistancy of the river is a case of author consistancy. He does mention over and over that the size of the city is growing exponentially during Venturi's rule. And the city does seem to have circa 1840's our world plumbing issues.

60 years ago, the Willamette was just as bad as Terry describes the Ankh. With all the paper mills dumping strait into the river, as well as the city, as well as the amount of water taken out for various industrial uses, during the summer the river sludge was just that viscous. And had a similar perfume.

And the Portland dosn't have Ankh-Porak's excuse of being on a tidal basin. We are 250 above sea level, wich is 60 miles from the ocean. Nowadays with it being cleaner, it is also very swiftly moving.
It would be a mistake to think that they weren't also dangerous, just because reading them didn't make fireworks go off in the sky. Reading them sometimes did the more dangerous trick of making fireworks go off in the privacy of the reader's brain.
baruch menachem

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:03 pm

baruch menachem wrote:to take the example from the front of the thread, I think the increase in the consistancy of the river is a case of author consistancy. He does mention over and over that the size of the city is growing exponentially during Venturi's rule. And the city does seem to have circa 1840's our world plumbing issues.

60 years ago, the Willamette was just as bad as Terry describes the Ankh. With all the paper mills dumping strait into the river, as well as the city, as well as the amount of water taken out for various industrial uses, during the summer the river sludge was just that viscous. And had a similar perfume.

And the Portland dosn't have Ankh-Porak's excuse of being on a tidal basin. We are 250 above sea level, wich is 60 miles from the ocean. Nowadays with it being cleaner, it is also very swiftly moving.
Indeed - the River Thames in London is another case in point. Until the sewers were built it was used pretty much as a public toilet and even after it was a stinking river for many years.

Recent years have seen a marked improvement in the cleanliness of the water. :)
Tonyblack

Postby TheMole » Mon May 04, 2009 3:20 pm

In "Mort", Ysabell is sixteen, right?
And she has been sixteen for 35 years, right? (the time stands still in the Death´s House)
AND, when the Death had saved her in the avalanche, she was a small girl, right?
SO, how could she possibly grow old until sixteen??
:wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 04, 2009 5:47 pm

TheMole wrote:In "Mort", Ysabell is sixteen, right?
And she has been sixteen for 35 years, right? (the time stands still in the Death´s House)
AND, when the Death had saved her in the avalanche, she was a small girl, right?
I'm pretty sure that it says (maybe in Light Fantastic where we first meet Ysabelle) that Death allowed her to grow to a teenager because he thought that an older child would be easier to deal with... :roll: :lol:

Presumably Death can allow localised time in his domain - otherwise such things as digestion of Albert's fry-ups wouldn't work - would they? :?
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Ewww yeah - :shock: imagine having indigestion for eternity! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 04, 2009 11:15 pm

By the way Mole - Ysabelle's parents died in The Great Nef - the driest desert on the Disc. An avalanche seems a little unlikely. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Tue May 05, 2009 12:47 am

TheMole wrote:In "Mort", Ysabell is sixteen, right?

It seems to me that Terry varies the effects of time in DEATH'S DOMAIN as he finds convenient in each book. While it's important for Albert, and to a lesser extent Ysabelle to be held at a given point in time, as Tony pointed out, time exists in other ways. Cups fall to the floor and break, as do lifetimers (in Mort). And in Thief of Time, Death of Rats goes through the effort of showing DEATH the effects of malignancy that changes the ratio of times the toast lands buttter side down.

In other words, the question of time in DEATH's DOMINION is entirely variable, according to what point Terry is making.
swreader

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Explain this one then.

This is from Darwin's Watch page 205;

"There was a small cannon only a few feet away. Rincewind knew about them. He was the only wizard to have seen one, over in the Agatean Empire, where they were known as "Barking Dogs".
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 pm

...and how did Rincewind and Ponder know what an Auditor was? As far as I can remember no wizard has seen an auditor.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Don't know about the Barking Dog - when the wizards sent Rinso to the Agatean Empire, a cannon appeared in the magic circle in his place - they sent it back. :?

As to the Auditor - Sharlene and I seem to think that in Reaper Man, when the wizards perform the Rite of Ashekente, an Auditor turns up in place of the missing Death.
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Don't know about the Barking Dog - when the wizards sent Rinso to the Agatean Empire, a cannon appeared in the magic circle in his place - they sent it back. :?

I agree, so ALL the wizards have seen one, have poked one about, tried to get the ball out, realised it's purpose and that it's dangerous!
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Tonyblack wrote:By the way Mole - Ysabelle's parents died in The Great Nef - the driest desert on the Disc. An avalanche seems a little unlikely. :lol:

Mort nodded. "Your daughter," he said. "Mine? Ha," said Albert, " You're wrong there. She's his." Mort stared down at his fried eggs. Theystared back from their lake of fat. Albert had heard of nutritional values, and did'nt hold with them. "Are we talking about the same person:" he said at last. "Tall, wears black, he's a bit ... skinny ...." "Adopted," said Albert kindly, "It's rather a long story--" ..."My parents were killed crossing The Great Nef years ago. There was a storm, I think. He found me and brought me here, I don't know why he did it." ( said Ysabell to Mort ((The Boy)) abridged from HarperTorch paperback 2001

Yup, that is correct. How Mort and Ysabell died is another story.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels