Inconsistencies in Discworld books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:14 am

I don't buy it myself and agree that it's an inconsistancy. It simlpy became too much of a problem to have trolls and vampires that could only be in the stories during nighttime.

Having said that - why not change the rules? I'm glad Detritus functions pretty well whatever the time of the day. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 am

I though that heat had something to do with it, not the sun.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 am

That's the explanation in MAA. But earlier on, I think in MP, there's mention of sunblock. Really, Terry didn't know he was going to have troll main characters. And the cooling helmet was a nice touch anyway :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 am

Yes, but it wouldn't really work would it? All a fan does is circulate air it doesn't blow cold air. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:52 am

Dotsie's right - the troll sunblock started off in Moving Pictures (Detritus met Ruby at the commissary in that remember?) and the alchemists hit on the idea because they needed the stunt trolls (Rock and Flint?) to be able to work in the day for filming... :P

Behind every brilliant idea there is a totally vacuous requirement :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yes, but it wouldn't really work would it? All a fan does is circulate air it doesn't blow cold air. :wink:

No it would be rubbish :lol: I just liked it because it enabled Cuddy & Detritus to become friends.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby nattheweirdo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Dotsie wrote:I just liked it because it enabled Cuddy & Detritus to become friends.

I know it was so sad when Cuddy died D:
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby theoldlibrarian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 am

Somebody might already of said this but the Librarian of UU comes up more often than almost any other character except Death and possibly a few others, throughout the series. However in "The Light Fantastic" his place is filled by a small bewildered orangutan.
I can also tell you that there were huge changes throughout the writings of Tolkien. He once wrote a poem about goblins and later went on to regret doing so. I The Fellowship Tom Bombadil is as old as the earth and without parents but in the adventures of Tom Bombadil he has parents and an uncle.
theoldlibrarian

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 am

theoldlibrarian wrote: However in "The Light Fantastic" his place is filled by a small bewildered orangutan.

But he'd only just become an orangutan, so maybe he was still a bit confused about the whole thing. Now of course we know he wouldn't be anything else (except briefly an armchair in The Last Continent) :wink:
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 am

I can't remember which book it's in, but one of them suggests that the Librarian doesn't have the extended 'flanges' on the side of his head as this is something found in the dominant male. The suggestion is that Ridcully fills that role. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 am

Tonyblack wrote:I can't remember which book it's in, but one of them suggests that the Librarian doesn't have the extended 'flanges' on the side of his head as this is something found in the dominant male. The suggestion is that Ridcully fills that role. :lol:

The Dean suggest this in Interesting Times :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby theoldlibrarian » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:55 pm

also, in some of his earlier books Pratchett talks about the time of the apocralypse when the ice giants will cover the world in ice. but in his later books he just says the apocalypse. Presumably because it just gets tiring to say it so often as in say Thief of Time.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby kakaze » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 am

Tonyblack wrote:Yes, but it wouldn't really work would it? All a fan does is circulate air it doesn't blow cold air. :wink:

Didn't it have black-painted fins as well? Then it would work the same as the CPU heat sink in your computer.

Even if it just blew air across his head, it would cool him down a bit (but not much).
kakaze

Postby theoldlibrarian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 pm

In early novels the Librarian says both eeek and oook but in later in novels it says he can only say oook.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby N1v3n » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:21 pm

In Making Money on p455 Moist says about not using fifty foot high killer golems. The reply back from Vetinari asks if they have found forty foot killer golems?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

Previous

Return to Discworld novels