Eternal Gratitude for Terry Pratchett

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Eternal Gratitude for Terry Pratchett

Postby PauperPoet » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:24 pm

I did this simply to express my thanks to the Author for assisting me in inspiring my 12 and 10-year old grandchildren to develop a passion for reading. They resided with me for several months this year, and I decided to introduce them to 'bed-time' reading. I have long been a fan of the Disc World series, and hit on the idea of reading one to them. I found "The Wee Free Men", and had many a pleasant night of giggles and guffaws with them as a result. They moved away two months ago, and I was overjoyed to hear that the first thing my grandchildren did in their new location was seek out the local public library, and begin checking out as many Terry Pratchett books as they could find, and are now ordering more. My daughter tells me that they are constantly running to her to exclaim, "Mom, you gotta hear this!". From the bottom of this humble poet's heart, thank you, Sir Terry Pratchett. Long may you live. Hugs - The Pauper Poet
Without people, there would be nothing to write about, and nobody to appreciate it. - The Pauper Poet
PauperPoet

Postby chuckie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 am

Welcome to the forum PauperPoet.
Thankyou for sharing, You got me smiling on a dreary sunday morning. :D
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:42 am

What a lovely story! :D

Welcome to the site!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:00 am

I think your two grandchildren are very lucky to have such a wise and caring grandparent. :) And what joy to be able to encourage them to read such a good author. By the time they get to I Will Wear Midnight--they'll have a link to the forum, at least in the British version. Don't know about the U.S. one. We have some young readers on the forum, though not many. Have they tried Nation yet? I suspect they'd like that.

I hope you'll stay and join us in our discussions and silly games on the forum.
swreader

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:55 am

Always good to gets kids reading, it seems such a struggle nowadays, I was always buried in a book from a very young age but now it's hard work to prise the game console out of my nephews hands.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 am

They will never look back now and in later life will probably thank you,Oh and welcome to the forum.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby michelanCello » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Welcome, PauperPoet! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Lovely first post PP. Look forward to the next. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Welcome PauperPoet :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby shawbizzle » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:50 pm

That is a lovely story and reminds me of my younger days when I was first introduced to the Pratchett.

I was bought the Carpet People and loved it so much that I must have read it ten times (I have a vague recollection of trying to write a sequel as a ten year old lad! :?). I soon moved on to Truckers, Diggers and Wings which was the most epic series I had read as a child!

Here I stopped reading Terry for a few years until my mum bought me two books to read on a holiday to Portugal. Those two books were Colour of Magic and Pyramids.

I read the line, “He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards." and was have been hooked on the Discworld novels since.
:D
“You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.”
shawbizzle

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:29 pm

I loved the Truckers series - I reread it fairly recently and it was still as good. :D
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Welcome shawbizzle :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby shawbizzle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks ShadowNinjaCat!

Tonyblack - I read them not so long ago, did the Thing remind you of the talking cube in Thud?
“You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.”
shawbizzle

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:08 pm

shawbizzle wrote:Thanks ShadowNinjaCat!

Tonyblack - I read them not so long ago, did the Thing remind you of the talking cube in Thud?
Yeah - although in some ways I think the Thing is more like the toad in the Tiffany books. It's there to explain what's going on and to move the story along. :)
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:32 pm

anything that encourages children to read be it twilght or harry potter should be applauded and terry is a good author for anyone to read.

welcome to the site both :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to Discworld novels