New reader seeks advice

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New reader seeks advice

Postby turnipician » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi all

15 years after being recommended Discworld I finally picked up The 1st 2 books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I agree with those of you who say the writing doesn't start off too well but it does improve and the more the story progresses the more hooked I am.

I understand that reading them chronologically might not be the best idea. I just popped into the library and they didn't have many options and I didn't really know what to pick so I went with 'The fifth Elephant' basically because it had the most intriguing name but just the front cover puts me off (and I feel I may have missed too much in the 17 years of books since COM.

Any advice? Shall I swap it for something else?
turnipician

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi there turnipician! And welcome to the site. :D

Fifth Elephant is a great book, but quite a way along in the 'Watch' books. I'd recommend Guards! Guards! as a good starting point as it's the first of the Watch books and also a great introduction to Ankh-Morpork.

Good luck, happy reading and let us know what you think of whatever you choose. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: New reader seeks advice

Postby michelanCello » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm

turnipician wrote:Hi all

15 years after being recommended Discworld I finally picked up The 1st 2 books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I agree with those of you who say the writing doesn't start off too well but it does improve and the more the story progresses the more hooked I am.

I understand that reading them chronologically might not be the best idea. I just popped into the library and they didn't have many options and I didn't really know what to pick so I went with 'The fifth Elephant' basically because it had the most intriguing name but just the front cover puts me off (and I feel I may have missed too much in the 17 years of books since COM.

Any advice? Shall I swap it for something else?

Hi, turnipician! :D

Why not? It's not nessesary to read them in chronologycal order, but I think reading them like that is the most "clear" way to do it... like this you don't miss a thing, and you get every clue... I think the only reason people don't suggest to start chronologically, because the COM and LF (and Equal Rites too, maybe, but I quite liked that one, actually) don't really represent TP's style... well, they do, of course, but... well, for further information and opinions, see the Color of Magic discussion thread. :wink:
But since you sarted with the first two books - and obliviously liked them - I think there's nothing against reading them in chronological order... I, personally would recommend that (I wish I had... :roll: ), but I'm sure there'll be some people who'll disagree with me. :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby turnipician » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks guys

I think I will swap fifth elephant for equal rites or maybe mort, now I've just gotta find something to do before I go to sleep other than read...
turnipician

Postby DaveC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:03 am

turnipician wrote:Thanks guys

I think I will swap fifth elephant for equal rites or maybe mort, now I've just gotta find something to do before I go to sleep other than read...

Welcome to the site turnipician!

Go chronological!

PS. That's what I'm doing, am on Wee Free Men now. :D
Last edited by DaveC on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Re: New reader seeks advice

Postby raisindot » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 pm

[quote="turnipician"][/quote]

TFE was the first DW book (well, maybe the second--I think I started with Thief of Time first) because it was one of only two DW books available at my library (and I ran across it accidentally, having never heard of PTerry).

Even though there was clearly a lot of backstory in TFE (much more so than in TT) that would have benefited from a read of the earlier Guards series, I was totally hooked on TFE that I immediately went back through the entire series and then re-read TFE. So, if that's all that available at your library, don't necessarily pass it up.

I feel quite lucky in this situation. If COM had been the only DW at my library I probably would have put it down halfway through and never read another one.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi turnipician, welcome to the site. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Discworld novels