Amazon Kindle

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:52 am

Sounds like brainwashing, indoctrination and mind control to me. :lol:

And two pages without a full stop probably means they are somehow related to Thomas Hardy. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Reading text that has no punctuation is like an elaborate torture; there is nothing you can do about it, you beg for it to end and eventually will send you gaga.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:37 pm

pandasthumb wrote: May run out of red ink but easy none the less.

Not allowed to use red ink over here, according to my neighbour, who is a biology teacher.

Apparently, red ink upsets the pupils with dyslexia, so they have to use green ink.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pandasthumb » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Not allowed to use red ink over here, according to my neighbour, who is a biology teacher.

Apparently, red ink upsets the pupils with dyslexia, so they have to use green ink.

I hadn't come accross that fact before. The Teachers of the State (govt) schools here were told not to use red ink as it negatively affected the morale of students. :shock: Unfortunately you do need a colour that is obvioulsy different to the shades used in the document. I try to use a purple pen for marking as it positively affects my morale. :)
pandasthumb

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 am

pandasthumb wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:Not allowed to use red ink over here, according to my neighbour, who is a biology teacher.

I hadn't come accross that fact before. The Teachers of the State (govt) schools here were told not to use red ink as it negatively affected the morale of students. :shock: Unfortunately you do need a colour that is obvioulsy different to the shades used in the document. I try to use a purple pen for marking as it positively affects my morale. :)

Many, many a moon ago when I took my drivers test (and I was the only one in my family to pass it the first time!) I had a run in with the FAMOUS RED PEN! In the state of Massachusetts you have to have your driving instructor and a State Policeman in the car. When I started my test and drove a few blocks the RED PEN came out and the Statie (as we call them) wrote a couple of things, well I said to myself that I screwed the pooch and just drove and didn’t think about it since I pretty much screwed up from beginning. He only wrote a couple of things in green. When we finished he said that I passed and I said, “Wait! What was with all the red ink?” He said that he found using red ink right away to point out good things make people think that they failed and they relax and drive more natural. And by my experience I do agree. So red ink does have its merits.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby BaldFriede » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm kind of old-fashioned; I love to lie on my belly reading a book. Since Jean and I have about the same reading tempo (which is a really fast one) we like to lie side by side and read a book together.... What was that? No, I heard you quite distinctly, you said "don't you have other things to do in bed?", didn't you? Well, actually we do, and we do it a lot, and - no, I won't tell you more, so shut up and wipe the spittle from your chin.
BaldFriede

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Sharlene and I read to each other at breakfast time. We have one book on the go (in a tabletop bookstand) that we read. Although it's usually me reading as I've generally finished my breakfast before she's finished making hers.

At the moment we're reading 'The Smoke Jumper' by Nicholas Evans. He's the guy who wrote 'The Horse Whisperer'. :D

I was reading Wee Free Men to her in hospital the other day - complete with accents! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:47 am

BaldFriede wrote:I'm kind of old-fashioned; I love to lie on my belly reading a book. Since Jean and I have about the same reading tempo (which is a really fast one) we like to lie side by side and read a book together.... What was that? No, I heard you quite distinctly, you said "don't you have other things to do in bed?", didn't you? Well, actually we do, and we do it a lot, and - no, I won't tell you more, so shut up and wipe the spittle from your chin.

Knitting?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 am

Dur, sleeping. And that does make me drool, since I am knackered at the mo.

Boasting about how much sleep you get, not cool.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Edward E- Shoe seller » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm

No -ing swearing you -ing -!:P

Kindle is good, which leads to outmoding of paper, which means no books, which is BAD!!!

Code: Select all
hello, i just decided to put the word "fasrad" in code tags. Isn't this fun?
RAGNA BLADE!!
Edward E- Shoe seller

Postby Maria » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Kindle is great! :D It really helps people like me who have difficulty holding books. It's more convenient. It was such a lovely surprise when Matthew bought me one. He buys me books regularly for me. It's so much easier to be able to just click a button and have the book download in seconds. I still go to the library as some books that I want aren't on Kindle yet. I hope that libraries will never be outphased as they are important places. I am in two minds as I love visiting libraries, because it's not only just about the books, it's also about meeting people who share a common interest in books. I still give Kindle a big thumbs up! :D
Maria

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm getting myself one for Christmas, together with a sexy black leather............ cover case! :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I'm getting myself one for Christmas, together with a sexy black leather............ cover case! :lol:
Will it have suspender staps to hang from your belt/jeans etc. Bouncy.Image :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Maria » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:39 pm

:lol: Whooplah!
Maria

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Can you start a fire with a Kindle? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels