Which Discworld novel do you recommend to start at?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:<I have read alot of fiction and non-fiction and it always feels like Terry somehow has had access to all the books I had read in my lifetime.>

And some more,Terry was very active in early fandom in the 60s.

you can read more in Peter Westons book http://www.nesfa.org/press/Books/images/Weston-600.jpg

Oh no Dug. I didn't just mean HIS books or other authors (well yes I was a huge science fiction/fantasy fan). I mean all the history books I read, science, folklore, physics, fairytales, geology, geography, genetics, ornathology, biographies, biology, transindental meditation, the weird and wonderful history of dentistry, I am Joes Liver/pancreas/kneecap.
deldaisy

Postby Verns » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:05 am

It's an interesting question. I came late to Discworld - I was sort of vaguely aware of a science fantasy writer called Terry Pratchett who wrote wildly successful books, but then there are plenty of best-selling authors out there whose books are, erm, not to my taste (Dan Brown, Jodie Picoult, to name just a couple) so I didn't give it a lot of thought.

But then The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents won the Carnegie Medal and I decided to buy a copy for my young niece. I read the first few pages in the shop (as you do) and impulsively bought two copies. I loved it (and it is still a favourite), and a friend started lending me her collection of DW books. I think my first 'proper' DW book was Wyrd Sisters. How can you not love a book that starts with the witches on a dark night, and an eldritch voice shrieking, 'When shall we three meet again?' only to be answered with, 'Well, I can do next Tuesday.'

Guards! Guards! is another good entry point, as others have suggested. If I have a soft spot for the children's books and the witches, I have an even greater love for Sam Vimes and the guards of Ankh-Morpork. Personally, I rarely re-read the books that concentrate on Unseen University and those wretched wizards, and I find Rincewind a tiresome character, but it's all a question of getting hooked, and I was definitely hooked by The Amazing Maurice.
Verns

Postby Maeve » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Did anyone else read them chronologically? When I was reading them I bought and read them in the order written in the backs of the books, which meant I read them in the order Terry wrote them rather than according to a character series or anything... :D
Keep Calm And Carry On
Maeve

Postby Penfold » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Yup. I started reading them from the start all those years ago, avidly awaiting the next book to come out. I think the only ones I read out of sequence were Reaper Man and Moving Pictures. Unfortunately, also being quite a bit younger and not really fully appreciating the books back then, I never held on to all those first editions. :(

One advantage of reading them chronologically is that you get to see the evolution of Ankh Morpork and the Discworld, as well as Sir Terry's development as an author. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Maeve » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:02 am

I definitely enjoyed reading them that way- it was kinda like the world was unfolding in front of me and becoming more detailed and complex with every book!
Keep Calm And Carry On
Maeve

Postby SimStars13 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm

I've introduced three people to the series, and one of them (my dad) had already read a few. He started liking it once I got him to watch and read Going Postal, then Men at arms. My friend said 'she thought Terry Prattchet was too fantastical' but then read Men at Arms and loved it!
Then I told my Gran to read them, but she was suggested to try Soul Music by her library and hated it. Therefore (being someone who dislikes the Susan thread) I would recommend starting with either Guards Guards, Men at Arms or Going Postal.
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby FirstoftheGangtoDie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 am

I always suggest Guards Guards..Or Mort actually. Or anywhere but the actual first book. I enjoy the colour of magic immensely, but I don't think it's a good way to get into the series..as Pratchett was still working out the kinks of his new world. Much better to pick up Guards Guards and read of this fully formed amazing world and then go back and look at it in it's infancy once you're indoctrinated.
...I swear I'm too young to feel this old
FirstoftheGangtoDie

Postby Tristan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 pm

I think Mort is a good starting point. I gave it as a present to a friend of mine he loved it, then he read Reaper Men and loved that one too, but I don't think he's read others ever since. Ah, he's not that big of a reader.

In general I consider the Death series a great way to start, whether it's Mort, Reaper Men or Soul Music. I think they all have a certain... general quality and appeal to (almost) everyone. I feel it's the perfect combination of Pratchett's humor and insight. (And seriously, is there anyone who DOESN'T love Death? :lol:)

Maybe Guards! Guards! is also a good book to start at, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as for me it was a bit disappointing. I enjoyed it, but it's doesn't come anywhere near the brilliance of some of the others. I don't really know why everyone loves it so much. :roll:

Hm, can't think of anything else. Small Gods / Pyramids maybe? Both good reads, they stand alone, so maybe good for a introduction?
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby snowballs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 pm

I,ve read them all (several times) hard to say which is the best to start with, it depends on who it is that is going to read. Small gods is a good one, mort is amazing, Nightwatch is enthralling, Thud is brilliant, The hogfather is cool (I'm secretly in love with Susan death). Thinking about where to start is just impossible, read them all they all have their appeal, even though witches abroad is my least favorite it is still a really good book. Some are more for adults, some are more boyish, some are a bit on the girly side, so really depends on who the reader is. My favorite characters are Vimes, Rincewind, the feegles, Death (he is just soooooo cool), and last but not least Susan. Probably not been any help, but I had to try :oops: Best to start with one of the earlier books so one can get an introduction to the characters.
snowballs

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey Welcome Snowballs!!!!

The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby snowballs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:15 pm

deldaisy wrote:Hey Welcome Snowballs!!!!

Cheers deldaisy :)
snowballs

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 pm

welcome to the site Snowballs! :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby DaveC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Welcome Snowballs!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby snowballs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Wow everybody seems pleasant here :shock: almost shocking. In our village everybody ignores one another until they have got some booze in them, then they are all best freinds. Your'e not all drunk are you?
snowballs

Postby DaveC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Yes. We are all most definately drunk.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels