OK
25%
Don't like it
2%
Hate it
4%

Total votes : 53

Postby Quatermass » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:27 pm

The Colour of Magic was a decent book, and funny, but compared to later works, I think it was trying too hard to be funny.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:00 am

I like it a lot, loved the parodies in it as soon as I read the bit about the two unsavory rouges walking up the road I had to buy it as Fritz Lieber is one of my favorites, then I noticed a small tear in the dust jacket at the bottom and put it back on the shelf saying to myself I come next week when they have more in and get it, but it was the Colin Symthe edition :r but of course the rest is history. :roll: :cry:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Antiq » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:12 am

I haven't disliked any Pratchett I've read yet, and I hesitate to say there are some I don't love, but I love some more than others :lol: I love many more than Colour of Magic, but I still liked that a lot. I have grown very fond of Rincewind.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:20 am

I can't vote, I need another option :
loved it first time I read it, my first Pratchett book, fell in love with it and started looking for anything I could find of his, but now compared to the others it's almost nothing, tried to reread it and got bored
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Pearwood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:44 pm

I think it starts well. The segment in Ankh Morpork and the Sending of Eight segment are both very funny. But then it gets into the tiresome Pern spoof that just goes on and on with nothing amusing or illuminating to say. The final segment is better, but still not as good as the start of the book. The Light Fantastic was a major improvement in that it had a more focused plot and there seemed to be a bit more thought put into it than just random spoofs.
Pearwood

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 am

I was not that taken with CoM or LF but in saying that, they were not the first Discworld books I read so I was used to the different writing style. I don't plan to read them again but even though I did not like them much, I'm still glad I read them.
TheTurtleMoves

Postby Werewolf87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Love it. Even after reading almost every other Discworld book (except for The Truth) it's still one of my faves. I like weird adventures with a road trip feel to them. I hate the movie though. :P
I'm a bit of a weirdo apparently since I prefer the older books to the new ones. I liked Ankh-Morpork as the dirty lawless city it was in the beginning. The whole civilisation going on on the disc makes me uncomfortable.
Werewolf87

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Hellooo and welcome Werewolf. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby TwoShotTino » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Loved it the first time I read it (my introduction to Discworld) and I still love it now as I can read it with all the enthusiasm I did back then. I agree there are better works out there now but Rincewind is still my favourite character and I'm still hoping for more works involving him.
TwoShotTino

Postby Werewolf87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

TwoShotTino wrote:Rincewind is still my favourite character and I'm still hoping for more works involving him.

Same here.
Even though it's probably in vain.
Werewolf87

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

I think CoM and LF are those books that get better once you read them after having grown to Rincewind :)
LilMaibe

Postby unseenu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:08 pm

liked it,I read it recently but couldn't get into it properly for several reasons,the edition I was reading had a slightly larger typeface than i'm used to so for me it didn't 'feel' like discworld.Also I had seen the movie before I read it so half the time I knew more about what was going on than the characters which spoilt it a bit.
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby Perestroika » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:25 am

yeah I'm a thread digger!

as opposed to loving it loads and loads, I only like it.

As a huge Rincewind fan, I have to like it, but at the same time, some parts of it are very different to what became Pratchett's style. Death is quite different, for example.

But I can still read it, probably not as much as I read the other books, but I still enjoy it.
Perestroika

Previous

Return to Discworld novels