The villainous nanny ogg & co

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The villainous nanny ogg & co

Postby rocketjohn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Greetings All,

Apologies for the join and immediate post - a friend and I were discussing the books, and the subject of whether the three witches can be considered in any way villainous came up.?

I reckon not - he reckon's well hey, they're witches...

Any opinions from y'all?

-J
rocketjohn

Postby michelanCello » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi there, rocketjohn, and welcome to the forum!

I think the witches aren't villainous... but I guess a lot of other people (Dorothy and Snow white included) might think otherwise...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Capable of self gratifying mischief if it teaches someone a lesson or serves a purpose certainly, but I think villainy is beyond the unspoken moral code of the Witches. Granny Weatherwax strives to be always in the light.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:23 pm

Welcome to the site, rocketjohn! :D No need to apologise for posting here.

Discworld witches are basically district nurses, healers, home-helps and dealers in justice. I wouldn't say they were villainous, but they certainly aren't always popular. And one or two of them have quite a high opinion of themselves (mentioning no names :wink:).
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:12 am

I'd go even further than Tony--Discworld Witches are anything but villainous--although Granny, for example, worries about going to the bad. The are the Guardians of the Borders, the wise women, herbalists, "doctors" and judges of Lancre (primarily). They do occasionally go to other parts of Discworld, but they (like the wizards) are generally concentrated in the Ramtops where the concentration of magic is highest. Their magic is quite different from wizard magic--but it has little similarity to the conventional notion of witches.

Witches can be opinionated, selfish, short tempered, and perfectly willing to trade on their position (eg. Nanny Ogg and her children, and daughters-in-law). They are not necessarily fun company, but they are who you want when things go "pear-shaped".

And Welcome to the forum--I envy you the chance to get better acquainted with the Discworld Witches (and the odd but nice lot who post here).
swreader

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:58 am

Hi rocketjohn :) I actually think that witches go out of their way to prevent each other from becoming villainous - no-one wants to go the way of Black Alice, stuck in her own oven by a couple of kids - so they look out for the early signs of cackling.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby mspanners » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 am

They do have a dark side to them but they keep it under control.....In the book Lords and Ladies we are given an insight of what they could be with the breaks taken off.... if they turn they could end up like the Evil Witch of fable. As yet they cant really be cast as evil but it could happen if they turn to the light side! Granny Weatherwax nearly did when She was bitten by a Vampire.
mspanners

Postby rocketjohn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 am

Wow - what a friendly bunch :-)

Thank you for all your responses!

I think the consensus seems to be that the witches try to avoid going bad etc... as it says on the lspace wiki:

Down that road lies gingerbread cottages, ovens, etc.

cheers,

-J
rocketjohn

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:25 pm

As said, as "guardians of the edges," witches themselves aren't villainous.

That, however, doesn't prevent others from trying to blame them for villainy, as happens in "Wyrd Sisters," and, to a lesser degree, in "Carpe Jugulum."

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Welcome to the site, rocketjohn, No the Witches are the goodies just like the ones in Sleeping Beauty apart from the one. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby LessHero vanU » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:38 am

Hi, Rocketjohn, and welcome. Per the others, these witches are not villianous - but they have been known to get a little teazy if not afforded the proper respect!
"Magick!" Canon Y Balle
LessHero vanU

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:03 pm

And then there's Lily Weatherwax - although she's technically a fairy godmother who always makes sure the story happens regardless of how it effects the godchild... :? She is not good at all! :wink:

They're not all 'good' in the traditional manner in the same way that they're mostly not bad. I'd say Mrs Earwig's also a pretty lousy witch in all kinds of ways - certainly as a mentor/tutor.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 pm

...but Mrs Earwig's student is doing very well now, isn't she? :wink:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:23 pm

No - she's following the Way of Miz Treason courtesy of Boffo isn't she because the way she was taught didn't work at all :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:And then there's Lily Weatherwax - although she's technically a fairy godmother who always makes sure the story happens regardless of how it effects the godchild... :? She is not good at all! :wink:

Oddly enough though, Lilith 'thinks' she is the good one and that what she's doing is for the best.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Discworld novels