wee free men, hat full of sky, wintersmith kids only?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 am

I am a few chapters into Hat Full of Sky and have to say they much darker than you'd expect, not in the imagery but in the tone. You can really feel her struggle all the way through, also rather suprised at the graphic description of Feegle relationships!

I love the little references to wider Discworld peppered throughout that kids reading for the first time wouldn't wink at but we would.

Especially the university bit early in HFS
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 am

DaveC wrote:I am a few chapters into Hat Full of Sky and have to say they much darker than you'd expect, not in the imagery but in the tone. You can really feel her struggle all the way through, also rather suprised at the graphic description of Feegle relationships!

I love the little references to wider Discworld peppered throughout that kids reading for the first time wouldn't wink at but we would.

Especially the university bit early in HFS

It certainly has levels :D Been a while since i read it though.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Verns » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm

I confess to being a huge fan of PTerry's so-called children's books. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents was my first taste of his writing and I still have a tremendous fondness for that book. I thought Wee Free Men was a bit 'meh' when I first read it but, as with so many of these books, it grew on me with subsequent readings and the rest of the series is phenomenally good (in my not so humble opinion).

It's probably my arrested development :wink: but I love his non-DW children's books as well. I spent a night at an old friend's once and they went to bed at some ridiculously early hour, while I lay awake in their child's room, so I rummaged through her book-shelves and found the Bromeliad Trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings). T'riffic stuff. Loved 'Nation' too. Which reminds me that I must get the Johnny Maxwell Trilogy one of these fine days.
Verns

Postby Foul ole Ron » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Good to know that adults will enjoy these books too.

I've read all the others & will start on these now, thanks.
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Ron, good to see you posting again. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Beyond Birthday » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm looking to trade my paperback copy of A Hat Full of Sky if anyone is interested.
Beyond Birthday

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The new Tiffany book - I Shall Wear Midnight - is really good and has some very grown up themes in it.

I'll say. Teenage pregnancy, miscarriage, alcoholism, lynch mobs and domestic abuse, all in the second chapter.

I have to admit though, I didn't like the Tiffany Aching books as much as the other Discworld books, but I Shall Wear Midnight was actually one of the best Discworld books I have ever read.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:Hi Ron, good to see you posting again. :D

Millennium Hand and Shrimp
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 am

Just finished The Wee Free Men & enjoyed it immensely.

IMO it's quite hard to to distinguish it from a so called adult Pratchett discworld novel.

The protagonist is a 9 year old girl but some of the ideas behind the plot are not really kids stuff to me.

Tiffany Aching is probably the nearest Pratchett has ever come to a bona fide hero/heroine.

Will move on to Hat full of sky next
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby swreader » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:06 am

Good to see you again, FO Ron. How I envy you (in a way). You've got three more Tiffany books to read for the first time. And I also think that Tiffany may be the most fully developed single character Pratchett has developed.

I do think, however, that like all other Pratchett novels, these--especially the last 2, require at least 2 or 3 readings. Have fun.
swreader

Previous

Return to Discworld novels