wee free men, hat full of sky, wintersmith kids only?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

wee free men, hat full of sky, wintersmith kids only?

Postby cam87 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 am

are wee free men, hat full of sky and wintersmith really just for kids or are they really a good read for all discworld fans regardless of age?

thanks guys
cam87

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:27 am

Absolutely not just for kids. I think any Discworld fan would enjoy them. That also goes for The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. :wink:

The new Tiffany book - I Shall Wear Midnight - is really good and has some very grown up themes in it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby cam87 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:37 am

thanks for that tony, i just read on the inside of one of the books that they were for kids and wondered. i have all of the black cover books that have been released except these three and unfortunately The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents hasnt been printed yet. i will order these then.

thanks
cam87

Postby pip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

With books like these I think the term All Ages works better than kids books.
They are well written and have a huge amount of imagination in them.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:46 am

Even the first book - Wee Free Men - there are some scenes that are dark and show the ignorance of people who do terrible things to an old lady rather than trying to help her.

Terry's writing is almost always on several levels and it's up to the reader how far they want to dig. Try them - you won't be sorry. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Turtles4Ever » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:46 am

ANY "kid's book" can be read by an adult if it's thought provoking and intelligent, and Terry's "kid's books" are both. :D

Even A.A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" books are loved by adults, not just for reasons of nostalgia but because they are smartly written.
Turtles4Ever

Postby Fourecksian » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Absolutely not just for kids. I think any Discworld fan would enjoy them. That also goes for The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. :wink:

The new Tiffany book - I Shall Wear Midnight - is really good and has some very grown up themes in it.

What Mr Black said. So picking up I Shall Wear Midnight this week
Nullus Anxietas
Fourecksian

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm

I don't consider them for kids only by any stretch of the imagination, I enjoyed them immensely. However for my personal taste, they are not as good as the adult Witches books.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby swreader » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:00 am

I know that the Tiffany books are called "children's" but I think that's somewhat misleading. It's true that the protagonist is a nine year old girl in the first of the series--but she is a nine year old untrained witch which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And this series is definitely one where the character develops--as she ages, she begins to have more and different problems. I can't wait for Tony to get here with my copy of I Shall Wear Midnight. So, I can't have a problem with spoilers for that one--but these books deal with human problems and themes, some of which affect children also. WFM, for example, deals with grief/loss, learning to take responsibility for one's actions and a fairly sophisticated examination of the responsibilities which each person has, whether young, old, rich, poor, powerful or voiceless.

I have found that, as with many of Terry's other books, one needs to read them in order, but also more than once because (especially with the later ones) they become more complex and deal with bigger issues.

So rush right out and get all of them. I really like these (as a whole) as well or better than the regular witch books (as a group) because I find the earlier witch books less interesting and less well-written. :)
swreader

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 am

The only differences I can see between a DW "Young-reader" book and an adult DW book are there are no words I don't understand and no swearing. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:43 am

poohcarrot wrote:The only differences I can see between a DW "Young-reader" book and an adult DW book are there are no words I don't understand and no swearing. :D

Ah but can you pronounce them all correctly :D :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:29 am

poohcarrot wrote:The only differences I can see between a DW "Young-reader" book and an adult DW book are there are no words I don't understand and no swearing. :D

If those feegles weren't swearing I must have been terribly confused
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:14 am

I'd say it was more cussin' than swearing :lol:
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby pip » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 am

Fair point. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 am

The Mad Collector wrote:

Ah but can you pronounce them all correctly :D :D

I can pronounce them correctly in Poohspeak. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Next

Return to Discworld novels