Are you a Vimes or Carrot (Wo)man?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Welcome jdenicholls!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
User avatar
DaveC
Member
 
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Portishead, UK

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm

deldaisy wrote:I am being serious! Sheesh!

I know the word in the literary sense.. "the common man". But in this sense I don't get it. Does it mean simple people? Uneducated people? or someone not from high society?

Kate Middleton is a commoner, but she's in the upper eschelons of society AND educated.

You English have turns of phrase we just never use here. We don't have a class society. well there is a secret sort of one but we don't have specific words for it.... unless you use a derogatory word for someone who believes he/she is better than someone else... or a derogatory word for someone at the VERY other end...)

the masses? the working man?


Del, in this case I think this definition applies:


•coarse: lacking refinement or cultivation or taste; "he had coarse manners but a first-rate mind"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "an untutored and uncouth human being"; "an uncouth soldier--a real tough guy"; "appealing to the vulgar taste for violence"; "the vulgar display of the newly ...
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28833
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby deldaisy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Tony wrote:
Common:
•coarse: lacking refinement or cultivation or taste; "he had coarse manners but a first-rate mind"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "an untutored and uncouth human being"; "an uncouth soldier--a real tough guy"; "appealing to the vulgar taste for violence"; "the vulgar display of the newly ...


:shock: :shock: :shock: KATE???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
She looks like such a NICE girl.........
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
User avatar
deldaisy
Member
 
Posts: 8032
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Broccolee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Oh,you know,English people have this THING about the Royals.:wink:
So Kate being a commoner in this sense just means she´s not royal.
And in this context you would say working-class folks,maybe?
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
User avatar
Broccolee
Member
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Alas,Germany

Postby Penfold » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Broccolee wrote:Oh,you know,English people have this THING about the Royals.:wink:
So Kate being a commoner in this sense just means she´s not royal.
And in this context you would say working-class folks,maybe?

Here's a couple of newspaper articles on the subject.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royal-wedd ... -22863945/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22721205/

:wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7125
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 pm

deldaisy wrote:Tony wrote:
Common:
•coarse: lacking refinement or cultivation or taste; "he had coarse manners but a first-rate mind"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "an untutored and uncouth human being"; "an uncouth soldier--a real tough guy"; "appealing to the vulgar taste for violence"; "the vulgar display of the newly ...


:shock: :shock: :shock: KATE???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
She looks like such a NICE girl.........
Who is Kate? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28833
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby mystmoon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
deldaisy wrote:Tony wrote:
Common:
•coarse: lacking refinement or cultivation or taste; "he had coarse manners but a first-rate mind"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "an untutored and uncouth human being"; "an uncouth soldier--a real tough guy"; "appealing to the vulgar taste for violence"; "the vulgar display of the newly ...


:shock: :shock: :shock: KATE???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
She looks like such a NICE girl.........
Who is Kate? :?

Royal Wedding, Tony. The girl who's marying Prince William
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
Image
User avatar
mystmoon
Member
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 am
Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 am

Thanks! I didn't know that. When's it happening so I can make sure I'm out of the country? :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28833
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby captainmeme » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 pm

I prefer Carrot, but the one I like most is Night Watch...
Albatross!
User avatar
captainmeme
Member
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Nearish Manchester

Postby Antiq » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Oh Vimes, all the way, for sure! :)
Carpe Jugulum
User avatar
Antiq
Member
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Joolz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Vimes No contest! Carrot appears to be slightly amusing but boring
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
User avatar
Joolz
Member
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 pm
Location: Blyth Northumberland

Postby Joolz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Tonyblack wrote:What would Vimes do? That'd make a great bumper sticker. :lol:

I saw a car sticker a few years ago "A Dragon is for life not just Hogswatch"
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
User avatar
Joolz
Member
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 pm
Location: Blyth Northumberland

Postby rockershovel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm

for that matter Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was, technically, a commoner. Didn't stop her becoming the nation's No 1 Gran ( I loved the horsey, gambling, gin-drinking Spitting Image puppet of her )

Diana was also a commoner, although a member of the aristocracy and descended from Charles II by way of various undisputed but illegitimate sons. Hence her title - Diana, Princess of Wales, whereas Princess Anne is so styled due to being royal in her own right, as is Prince Phillip


However the Duchess Fergiana was and remains, common as muck, whatever titles she acquires along the way.
rockershovel
Member
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am

Postby Ceorlic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm

I wasn't aware the daughter of an Earl is regarded as a commoner by anyone. Certainly Diana wasn't from a royal house but she was still of noble birth.

Back on topic, to my mind the lack of a visible thought process for Carrot is what you'd expect from a royal (no treason intended). Traditionally they're very private and are always accused of being remote. So to see the true Carrot you'd need get inside the royal household, which won't be easy in a republic.

I like both characters a lot, especially since Vime's background reminds me of my grandmother (whose family were too proud to go barefoot but too poor to buy shoes that fitted) and Carrots enthusiasm for museums, ironwork and random pieces of information is just as bad as my father's and regrettably my own.
Ceorlic
New member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Somerset

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:58 am

I am a Vimes fan no doubt but I still very much enjoy Carrot and his roles in the AMCW books. I like the fact that there is a center stage role reversal between Carrot and Vimes probably because I have viewed similar goings on in real life and I find Terry's books very helpful in understanding people and the things that go on with them.

I really hope that made sense.
User avatar
TheTurtleMoves
Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 am
Location: Worthing, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests