Are you a Vimes or Carrot (Wo)man?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby One Man Bucket » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 am

From what I've read here and there Pratchett has plans for advancing or possibly ending Carrot and Angua's relationship and whilst he might never write about Carrot taking the throne he seems to have enough ideas about it that he feels it would need 2 books to be told. Given these hints I'd say stories can still be told with Carrot as the lead without revealing his internal monologue but it'd be easier and require less upheaval of everybody's lives to simply let us into his thoughts and so understand him more
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Broccolee wrote:Actually,the Bumper sticker IS a good idea! :lol:
I´ll see if I can have that Sticker custom made for me somewhere.
I´m still looking for the one I once saw on a car here in Germany saying:"I brake for Elves,Fairies,Dragons and other magical creatures only I can see".I always thought that would make my erratic behaviour in traffic appear somehow more loveable as opposed to a downright Pain In The Neck.
On the other hand,combine that with a WwVd sticker and I might be back in trouble,as any Pratchettlovers behind me might feel moved to get out of their car,come up front and seriously prod buttock....
Plus I´d be in trouble every blue Sunday because the original WwJd people might feel I was taking the mickey.Hmmm..
No,I think it´s worth it anyway! :)

Hey better late than never...
WELCOME TO THE FORUM Broccolee
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Dotsie wrote:
LessHero vanU wrote:...and he allows Sybil to tend swamp dragons

Excuse me, he allows her?? Cor, us women are so lucky that our husbands allow us to do things! I would very much like to see what would happen if Vimes told Sybil he was allowing her to tend swamp dragons! :lol:

Thank you so much for pointing that out Dotsie..... (I am trying to catch up on this thread)

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGH! Allowing indeed!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

*gives Dots a huge drink*
edit: If thats alright with your husband Dots.....
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby raisindot » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:16 pm

BaldJean wrote:Carrot was a boy of 18 at the beginning, so certainly there was a lot of development for him. And basically he has not changed at all. He does not simply leave his post to follow Angua; that would indeed be out of character. No, he resigns first, and that is typically Carrot. He was in a moral dilemma: Follow his love or do his duty? Both was not possible. The only way out was to resign; that way the dilemma was gone. Anyone else would just have followed Angua without resigning first.

True, but the fact that he resigned at all points out how his character has changed. The Carrot of the previous books would not have resigned to chase his girlfried. Personal is not the same as important.

And while we're all focused on the beginning of the book, where Carrot resigns, think about the end of the book, when Carrot sends Colon and Nobby out to bring back the watchmen who had quit. He reminds them that all the watcher took the king's shilling, committing themselves to the Watch and that commitment is binding. He is clearly manipulating them, for they well know that it was his abandonment of leadership that led to the whole crazy Colon and the resulting strike in the first place. And we the most manipulation when he points his sword at them just as he is mentioning the king's shilling. Subtly reminding them, as only Carrot can, that he may not have claimed the throne of Ankl-Morpork, but that he still has the capability of exercising kingly authority.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Broccolee wrote:That bumper sticker site is brilliant,thanks Tony! :D
Now I cant decide which one to have....
But I still like the idea of the WwVd sticker best,tell me if someone managed to actually make it!

Love it.

then again.... WwVd (what would Vimes do) could be misinterpreted as WwVd (what would Vetinari do) too :D
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

deldaisy wrote:
Broccolee wrote:That bumper sticker site is brilliant,thanks Tony! :D
Now I cant decide which one to have....
But I still like the idea of the WwVd sticker best,tell me if someone managed to actually make it!

Love it.

then again.... WwVd (what would Vimes do) could be misinterpreted as WwVd (what would Vetinari do) too :D
A win/win situation then. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Broccolee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Yeah,although the outcome of the ensuing contemplation would probably be rather different...:lol:
I told some people who also know Pterrys books about the what would Vimes do sticker and they were equally exited.So whoever finally makes them will definitly sell them off.But making a whole series of Pratchett-related stickers would be nice,I think.We wouldnt know where to put them all,but hey,fun is fun...:D
To return to what Igor said-ye gods,I dont know how to put these tidy little quote boxes in,I´m useless-Yes,I´d definitly like to see Carrott with claws out and people running bang smack into the steel slab,too.Now that`s going to keep me up all night...:wink:
I just hope there`s another Watch book upcoming,they´re my favorite,I never had much patience with Rincewind,he´s pathetic,but I do love Vimes (and Granny too...)and maybe Carrot still has his great coming-out.
OOps,I meant developmentwise,not the other-wise...
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Brocollee - there's a thread somewhere in the Broken Drum called "Ask Ponder" with instructions on lots of technical stuff like the quote boxes, I went looking for it but got distracted so can't link to it I'm afraid :?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Brocollee - there's a thread somewhere in the Broken Drum called "Ask Ponder" with instructions on lots of technical stuff like the quote boxes, I went looking for it but got distracted so can't link to it I'm afraid :?
The asy way to find the links is to use the Useful Links thread that's stickied on the Broken Drum. :wink:

You'll find a link to Ask Ponder there. :)
Tonyblack

Postby fanahoria » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Im a Carrot woman. I,ve mentioned him in all my replys since I start writing in this forum.

I dont like when vimes calls Carrot Idiot, and he seems surprise of all that Carrots does or says in a way i dont like. He say that Carrot is very lucky "If you were a dice you,d always roll six" And blame him for Gavin,s death. At least he think that Carrot spread his lucky. (the Duke thing, the development of the guard are beacuse of him)

I have to say that Vimes an I have something in common: we are two deeply Antimonarchic. I,m only in my real life. because i,d like to read about Carrot becoming king. I also have the theory that Carrot belongs to other specie: The kings. He cant avoid being a king, just like angua cant avoid being a shewolf. He have some magical things: He listen Gaspode, and dont listen the weapon of Men in arms, and people love him (me for example) . What do you think of that theory??

I,ve read somewhere in this forum, that it,d be weird that after a lot of years of no-kings they came back. Well in Spain was that way. It could be possible in discworld too. (I hope)
fanahoria

Postby jdenicholls » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:06 am

Dunno why but when I saw this topic I thought the question would be which of Vimes and Carrot seems the most fanciable to women (and gay men of course) :lol:

I reckon Vimes is probably my favourite character of the entire Discworld series. This is probably something to do with my own depressive/cynical streak that is emphasised in the first couple of City Watch books. But I also admire his desire to act for the good despite this.

As for which Guards books that I think are better...in my opinion Terry's "voice" becomes more prominent towards the latter books. As most of you probably recognise the early books have more jokes and the latter ones are fuller in terms of plot and character development.

I just re-read Guards! Guards! and I can't remember laughing so much reading a book. There's a few scenes which certainly bear resemble to Python's Life of Brian, or that style of ridiculous humour - common people arguing about very high brow/complex philosophies in relation to simple situations.

I don't really have a preference, to be honest. I love all the Discworld City Watch books.
jdenicholls

Postby deldaisy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:00 am

Okay... I don't have a reference for that phrase here... What are "common people"? I have heard of people referring to a woman as "common" but thats a put down isn't it?
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:19 am

Hi jden! :P

Ignore Del, she's harmless. :lol:

"Common people" is good enough for Pulp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgXzPfAxjo
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 am

Welcome to the site, jdenicholls! :D
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 am

I am being serious! Sheesh!

I know the word in the literary sense.. "the common man". But in this sense I don't get it. Does it mean simple people? Uneducated people? or someone not from high society?

Kate Middleton is a commoner, but she's in the upper eschelons of society AND educated.

You English have turns of phrase we just never use here. We don't have a class society. well there is a secret sort of one but we don't have specific words for it.... unless you use a derogatory word for someone who believes he/she is better than someone else... or a derogatory word for someone at the VERY other end...)

the masses? the working man?
deldaisy

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels