Status Update.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 am

DaveC wrote:That's what I was thinking - she reads lots of fantasy or Urban Fantast (not Twilight), but also more of the mystical stuff with less humour - shs's currently reading Trudi Canavan - The Magician's Apprentice.

Let me know what she thinks as i've been debating wether or not to try her books for a while. Twilight is not urban fantasy as it has merely replaced the names of typical highschool stereotypes with other groups. Its a fraud.

American Gods is proper Urban Fantasy and well worth a look if you or the other half hasn't yet.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 am

pip wrote:
DaveC wrote:That's what I was thinking - she reads lots of fantasy or Urban Fantast (not Twilight), but also more of the mystical stuff with less humour - shs's currently reading Trudi Canavan - The Magician's Apprentice.

Let me know what she thinks as i've been debating wether or not to try her books for a while. Twilight is not urban fantasy as it has merely replaced the names of typical highschool stereotypes with other groups. Its a fraud.

American Gods is proper Urban Fantasy and well worth a look if you or the other half hasn't yet.

She's read some of her others and likes them a lot - this current one is set 600 years before the the first trilogy - and the next trilogy is set 10-15 years after the first trilogy!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 am

Cool. Post Gormenghast i might pick up one and see how it goes. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am

pip wrote:Cool. Post Gormenghast i might pick up one and see how it goes. :D

Cool

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:25 pm

DaveC wrote:
deldaisy wrote:Dave I am SO jealous of you having lots of Discworld books left to read :cry: On the other hand... you don't at the moment have that tingly excited anticipation of knowing a new Discworld book is due out TOMORROW and you ring your friends and talk about it, your skin itching cause you have been DiscworldLESS for what seems like an eternity... Oh dear.... is there a 12 step program for us?

I do have them all on a bookshelf ready to read, apart from Midnight, (it looks pretty :) ) I am sure that by the time Snuff comes out I will have the tingly feeling.

Okay I am in two minds now Dave. jealous of you having all the books to read but I think MORE jealous of all the "pretty" books lined up on your shelf. Rub it in!
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:01 pm

deldaisy wrote:
DaveC wrote:
deldaisy wrote:Dave I am SO jealous of you having lots of Discworld books left to read :cry: On the other hand... you don't at the moment have that tingly excited anticipation of knowing a new Discworld book is due out TOMORROW and you ring your friends and talk about it, your skin itching cause you have been DiscworldLESS for what seems like an eternity... Oh dear.... is there a 12 step program for us?

I do have them all on a bookshelf ready to read, apart from Midnight, (it looks pretty :) ) I am sure that by the time Snuff comes out I will have the tingly feeling.

Okay I am in two minds now Dave. jealous of you having all the books to read but I think MORE jealous of all the "pretty" books lined up on your shelf. Rub it in!

I might take a picture and post it. Only problem is that my brother has my Colour of Magic as I've been trying to get him to read it for months now. :x

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 pm

deldaisy wrote:

had it all so well organised. with the terry books taking three shelves but sadly had to box them for the move. Ah well . I do have the fun of unpacking to look forward to. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm

pip wrote:
deldaisy wrote:

had it all so well organised. with the terry books taking three shelves but sadly had to box them for the move. Ah well . I do have the fun of unpacking to look forward to. :D

Mine is a lot less shelves as I am a paperbacker not a hardbacker :)

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:24 pm

DaveC wrote:
pip wrote:
deldaisy wrote:

Mine is a lot less shelves as I am a paperbacker not a hardbacker :)

Well its a mixed bunch on mine with a few special editions and foreign ones thrown in for fun as well.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:26 pm

He goes:

My book corner, (well, not the left hand side) 8)

My books. :)

Discworld books :D

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:41 pm

nice layout. Showing off by throwing in the jigsaw :lol:

is it complete (excluding ISWM obviously)

I can see the bromeliad and Jonny books. Have you strata and dark side of the moon.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:46 pm

pip wrote:nice layout. Showing off by throwing in the jigsaw :lol:

is it complete (excluding ISWM obviously)

I can see the bromeliad and Jonny books. Have you strata and dark side of the moon.

Complete aside frome the cookbook, Where's My Cow, Folklore, and Footnotes! and the encyclodias and pratchett portfolio!

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:47 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah I thought the jigsaw was showing off too.
deldaisy

Postby pip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 pm

excellent.

Oddly still haven't got wheres my cow, folklore and footnotes either. Some day i'll get brave enough to buy a copy of footnotes even though i've read most of it anyway.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:01 pm

pip wrote:excellent.

Oddly still haven't got wheres my cow, folklore and footnotes either. Some day i'll get brave enough to buy a copy of footnotes even though i've read most of it anyway.

Not really willing to spend £300 or more on that. :roll:

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels