WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SCENES IN DISCWORLD NOVELS !!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoopsie!

It's in my bag as well. I shouldda checked!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby michelanCello » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:52 pm

But which one is it? (I'm really curious now... :wink: )
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Turtles4Ever » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Crumbs, so many to choose from but here's a few off the top of my head (spoilers of course!):

Reaper Man - the scene at the end of the book with Death looking out on his field of golden corn, waving gently in the 'wind'. Beautiful

The Wee Free Men - the whole sequence near the end with Tiffany making her 'connection' with the land, understanding it and being in awe of it all. An astounding scene that reminded me of a sequence in the late Robert Holdstock's wonderful novel 'Lavondyss'

A Hat Full of Sky - the Nac Mac Feegles and their first attempt at a 'human' creation dressed in stolen boots, coat, hat and a beard. LOVE that and the exchanges between the Feegles, always makes me laugh my socks off. :D
Turtles4Ever

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am

michelanCello wrote:But which one is it? (I'm really curious now... :wink: )

Moving Pictures.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:53 am

What about the fantastic love scene in Fifth elephant when Carrot declares he would be the one to kill Angua if he had to.
So sweet in a wierd way. :cry: :cry:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:48 am

not read fifth elephant yet but sounds sweet Image
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby pip » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Romance comes in many forms
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:10 pm

It does indeed, which brings me neatly back to one of my favourite Discworld bits, from Making Money, when the dog gets hold of the, errr, toy, and is buzzing around under the meeting table.

:lol: :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Another scene thats quite funny =Death and Rincewind in a cell

"...Deaths eyesockets glowed as he interrogated his memory.

AH,YES...INSIDE A CROCODILE. SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES AWAY, I BELIEVE.

"What ? Then why are you here?"

OH, I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SEE A FRIENDLY FACE. AND NOW I THINK I HAD BETTER BE GOING. Death stood up. VERY PLEASANT CITY IN MANY RESPECTS.TRY TO SEE THE OPERA HOUSE WHILE YOU'RE HERE.

"Hang on ... I mean , you told me I was certainly going to die!"

EVERYONE IS. EVENTUALLY.

The wall opened and closed around Death as if it wasn't there, which was, from his lengthy perspective quite true.
"But how ? I can't walk through---"Rincewind began.
He sat down again. The sheep cowered in the corner."

poor sheep :lol:
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby joemcf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Right, have to do 3 as i can't choose between them:

1) In Guards Guards when Vimes realises that the bars are on the inside of the cell door, not the outisde. Just kinda found that really clever.

2) Guards Guards again, when Wonse whispers Help Me to the crowd visiting the new leader of the city.

3) In Men at Arms (i know, another watch book) when Carrot meets the patrician. The whole scene is well done but the bit when Vetinari parallels Carrot's comments througout the book with "Do you know where the word Politician comes from...?" Fantastic writing IMO.

TBH my favourite parts of Discworld novels are the clever moments than the kinda absurds ones. There are funny clever moments as well, but these were my favourites.
"Experience paints on the canvas of life."

JoeMcf - 2010
joemcf

Postby N1v3n » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:10 pm

BatrickPatrick wrote:
Scenes with Greebo as a human

"want to!" :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Just re reading Lords and Ladies and forgot how much I love the bursar in this. His persistence of bringing up lines from the Billy Goats Gruff tale at the troll bridge is hysterical :lol:
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby michelanCello » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:54 am

The Bursar is one of my favorite characters! :D I never thought he was mad. He just sees everything differently then others...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby deldaisy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Noooooooooooooooo! I have so many I want to contribute to these kind of forums. "Your favourite scene" "Your favourite quote"... Yes I have favourites but I know you lot! The quote would have to perfect or it would be pick pick pick (I know I would); but to make sure they are perfectly worded and correct I would have to get the books down and go through them to find the quote and THEN well I would end up rereading the whole book; and right now I don't have time to reread every Discworld book (this damn site has kept me out of my bed long enough as it is!).

Oh okay... talking about Pick Pick Pick... there is one scene in Lords and Ladies where TP is describing how seriously (Insert name here) takes his duties as a palace guard.. and how he intently picks one nostril then spends equal time and vigilance cleaning out the other nostril. (See what I mean? Dammit! Now I just know I will going through Lords and Ladies at 4am to find that scene. Damn you all!!!!! Damn you Terry Pratchett!!!!! Arrrrgh! :evil:
deldaisy

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:43 pm

deldaisy wrote:Noooooooooooooooo! I have so many I want to contribute to these kind of forums. "Your favourite scene" "Your favourite quote"... Yes I have favourites but I know you lot! The quote would have to perfect or it would be pick pick pick (I know I would);

None of us on here would do that, 'specially if you make it clear you're not quoting it perfectly just telling us which scene you like - like the guard picking his nose.

Of course someone might be bored enough to copy out the whole scene for you - in pity for someone who is denied a constant fix of Terry's work :)
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels