Science of Discworld in a trilogy binding

Moderators: Tonyblack, Jason, Toothy

Would you want to have all three Science of Discworld books in a single hardcover binding ?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 10

Science of Discworld in a trilogy binding

Postby SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:35 am

I tend to have a preference for getting the Discworld novels in a trilogy hardcover binding whenever possible, and since there are three "Science of Discworld" novels, it would seem a likely candidate for a trilogy binding.

Thoughts ?
SignpostMarv

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:14 am

Welcome to the site! :D

I'm really not that fussed about omnibus editions. If you are a serious collector then it means you have to get yet another book - but in this case it's one of three you already have. And then what happens if, down the line, another book in the series is written?

No, I think I'd prefer individual books. :wink:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 am

I suppose it's the same reason why people by the other omnibus bindings (there's more than 3 novels in the Witches/City Watch series), or why people buy DVD box sets in their entirety rather than buying individual volumes/episodes.

For the sense of completeness :-)
SignpostMarv

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:05 am

I also prefer single volumes I'm not that much of a complete-ist as I don't have the wall space and I do collect other authors. :)

And welcome to the forum.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 am

I'm strictly a fan and on principle (and meanness) not a collector of hardbacks unless that's all that's going to be published, so no I wouldn't want a hardback set, especially as I have all 3 already in paperback. :D

If it's a boxed paperback set and I didn't already have them, then yes I would 'splurge' (this is how I got the 1st 4 HPs which I hadn't read at all until The Chamber of Secrets movie came out :roll: )

And welcome to forum from me as well SignpostMarv :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 am

I agree with the above, I would never buy a trilogy box set as I just think it's a way of getting more money out of the fans. A real fan is just in it for the content of the books, surely? And will therefore have all the books before the box set comes out (the only reason I have hardbacks instead of paperbacks is that I just can't wait for the latter to come out).

DVD box sets are different as the people who get these don't already have each individual episode, and it's a lot cheaper to get them this way.

And welcome to the site :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:45 am

I like collections if it saves space, like I have the box set of El Mariachi, Desperdo and Once Upon a Time in Mexico - as the DVD box is a) more attractive and b) slimmer than having the individually, less space on DVD shelf = more space for others, doesn't really work as well for books, though. Unless the writing is smaller so less pages! :D

+ big books are a bugger to carry around as I take mine to work with me to read (I cycle) so that could lead to heaviness and falling over!

I am reading Science of Discworld at the moment and don't have the other 2 yet, but I'd still get them individually if there was an option.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Penfold » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:23 pm

The only time I buy omnibus editions is if the author is unlikely to release another book in the series. I'm currently replacing my old battered and/or lost Michael Moorcock's 'Eternal Champion' books in this fashion. :D

Oh, and welcome from me too! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography Website

Len Brook Fine Art Prints For Sale @ Photo4me.com
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I have 4 Discworld omnibus editions in Dutch :wink: Overall I rather have the paperbacks :wink:

Btw the second Omnibus I have contains Mort, Sourcery and Wyrd sisters and it has 666 pages! :shock:
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
Sjoerd3000

Postby michelanCello » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

So you've read the Discworld-series in dutch? Or do you just have the omnibus editions in dutch for fun, and read them in english?

(talking about omnibus editions: I have a Willem Wilmink omnibus... :wink: )
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:19 pm

I've read the Discworld series in Dutch first after that I started with English. I now have a mix of Dutch and English Discworld books. :P
I bought the omnibus editions secondhand because they were cheaper than buying the single books :wink:
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
Sjoerd3000

Postby SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Thank you for the friendly welcome :-)

I suppose omnibus vs. individual bindings is a matter of reading habits as well. I don't travel much, so the increased volume doesn't affect me.

As for paperback vs. hardback, I prefer hardback for the extra durability. That and they stand up by themselves on the shelf :-P
SignpostMarv

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Definately hard covers,but I have nothing against omnibus versions as I have one or two by other authors or collections.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Discworld novels