Science of Discworld in a trilogy binding

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Would you want to have all three Science of Discworld books in a single hardcover binding ?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 10

Science of Discworld in a trilogy binding

Postby SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:35 am

I tend to have a preference for getting the Discworld novels in a trilogy hardcover binding whenever possible, and since there are three "Science of Discworld" novels, it would seem a likely candidate for a trilogy binding.

Thoughts ?
SignpostMarv

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:14 am

Welcome to the site! :D

I'm really not that fussed about omnibus editions. If you are a serious collector then it means you have to get yet another book - but in this case it's one of three you already have. And then what happens if, down the line, another book in the series is written?

No, I think I'd prefer individual books. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 am

I suppose it's the same reason why people by the other omnibus bindings (there's more than 3 novels in the Witches/City Watch series), or why people buy DVD box sets in their entirety rather than buying individual volumes/episodes.

For the sense of completeness :-)
SignpostMarv

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:05 am

I also prefer single volumes I'm not that much of a complete-ist as I don't have the wall space and I do collect other authors. :)

And welcome to the forum.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 am

I'm strictly a fan and on principle (and meanness) not a collector of hardbacks unless that's all that's going to be published, so no I wouldn't want a hardback set, especially as I have all 3 already in paperback. :D

If it's a boxed paperback set and I didn't already have them, then yes I would 'splurge' (this is how I got the 1st 4 HPs which I hadn't read at all until The Chamber of Secrets movie came out :roll: )

And welcome to forum from me as well SignpostMarv :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:39 am

I agree with the above, I would never buy a trilogy box set as I just think it's a way of getting more money out of the fans. A real fan is just in it for the content of the books, surely? And will therefore have all the books before the box set comes out (the only reason I have hardbacks instead of paperbacks is that I just can't wait for the latter to come out).

DVD box sets are different as the people who get these don't already have each individual episode, and it's a lot cheaper to get them this way.

And welcome to the site :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:45 am

I like collections if it saves space, like I have the box set of El Mariachi, Desperdo and Once Upon a Time in Mexico - as the DVD box is a) more attractive and b) slimmer than having the individually, less space on DVD shelf = more space for others, doesn't really work as well for books, though. Unless the writing is smaller so less pages! :D

+ big books are a bugger to carry around as I take mine to work with me to read (I cycle) so that could lead to heaviness and falling over!

I am reading Science of Discworld at the moment and don't have the other 2 yet, but I'd still get them individually if there was an option.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Penfold » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:23 pm

The only time I buy omnibus editions is if the author is unlikely to release another book in the series. I'm currently replacing my old battered and/or lost Michael Moorcock's 'Eternal Champion' books in this fashion. :D

Oh, and welcome from me too! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I have 4 Discworld omnibus editions in Dutch :wink: Overall I rather have the paperbacks :wink:

Btw the second Omnibus I have contains Mort, Sourcery and Wyrd sisters and it has 666 pages! :shock:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby michelanCello » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

So you've read the Discworld-series in dutch? Or do you just have the omnibus editions in dutch for fun, and read them in english?

(talking about omnibus editions: I have a Willem Wilmink omnibus... :wink: )
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:19 pm

I've read the Discworld series in Dutch first after that I started with English. I now have a mix of Dutch and English Discworld books. :P
I bought the omnibus editions secondhand because they were cheaper than buying the single books :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Thank you for the friendly welcome :-)

I suppose omnibus vs. individual bindings is a matter of reading habits as well. I don't travel much, so the increased volume doesn't affect me.

As for paperback vs. hardback, I prefer hardback for the extra durability. That and they stand up by themselves on the shelf :-P
SignpostMarv

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Definately hard covers,but I have nothing against omnibus versions as I have one or two by other authors or collections.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Discworld novels