TP Audio Books For Sale at The Works

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

TP Audio Books For Sale at The Works

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Not sure if anyone has noticed yet, but there are several TP audio's read by Tony Robinson available in the book shop The Works for £4.99 each. I bought all 6. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 pm

I saw these recently - be aware that they are abridged versions. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:51 am

Tonyblack wrote:I saw these recently - be aware that they are abridged versions. :wink:

I'll just claim ignorance, or pretending that I knew, but is abridged where they miss bits of the text out? If so why do they do that?
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Yes, they basically chop bits out of the book to make the thing shorter. If it's done well then you might not notice too much - but if not it can be really annoying.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. Annoying because I really like Tony Robinson (+he's from Bristol like me) and he only does the abridged versions.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tiffany » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:10 pm

They are shorter versions, but great to have in the car, if the other half let's you that is.
A lot of people don't like abridged, but if you have the books as well you can read those for the complete story.
I like Tony Robinson & as I have not got any unabridged versions, (too expensive, even second hand) I know no better. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:33 pm

stop nicking my thread tiff , ive put this in book bargains :roll: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby mspanners » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the heads up but I would recommend getting the Unabridged books as they are the full cream so to speak.... and apart from one or two are read by N planer and S Briggs who are by far better at creating individual voices for different people and don't just drone on with the same voice like T Robinson... 8) Once you have listened to the unabridged books the other are a pale imitation in comparison.
mspanners

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:21 pm

chris.ph wrote:stop nicking my thread tiff , ive put this in book bargains :roll: :lol:

I did look to see if anyone had already noticed them, but couldn't see a thread, Chris.

No wonder too, just found you put it under the non Discworld board. :roll: Eeejit. :lol: I would never have thought of looking there.

I still think they are very good value for money, usual price each is £14.99.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

works bookshop

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:49 pm

just had a browse round there today and found three HARD COVERS of Making Money but they were 4th impressions still at £4.99 a bargin as cheaper than P/Back.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mspanners » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:55 am

£15 a month from Audible for 2 downloads.......... thats in unabridged or abridged format it is up to you.......

........ BUT don`t fall for their spiel about having the complete collection in unabridged format as they are missing 3 books.

You can burn the books to cd and print off the cd covers if you like as well...

that is £7.50 for each unabridged versions.

Some of these audio cd's are £30+ on the net!

You also have an online Library you can re-download any book you bought as a back up or stream the book via the Net.

Apart from the lack of response to correcting the missing books they are ok, software good but some of the audio are a little indistinct as copied from cassettes (but some have been re-mastered and are available in new format).

And there are other site out there who do this so shop around!
mspanners

Postby mspanners » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 am

Some of my nagging must have paid off as they have now added The Wee Free Men in Unabridged format!

Site still missing Maurice and His educated rodents and Night Watch in Unabridged but hopes are growing! :lol:
mspanners

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:34 pm

mspanners wrote:Some of my nagging must have paid off as they have now added The Wee Free Men in Unabridged format!

Site still missing Maurice and His educated rodents and Night Watch in Unabridged but hopes are growing! :lol:

That's strange...all three of these have always been offered on the American Audible site. I have both the unabridged NW and WFM. The latter, in particular, is a great performance...Briggs gets the separate Feegle personalities down perfectly.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby mspanners » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm

I know!............. I even ask if I could use my credits on the US site as both US and UK are part of the Amazon group but was told no........... :shock:
mspanners

Postby mspanners » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:26 am

HORRRAYYYY .................. Audible uk have the last two books in the disc series in unabridged format now...... got my last two book in collection downloading as I write this.... Maurice and Night Watch! 8)
mspanners

Return to Discworld novels