Science of Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:40 pm

The books are basically alternating chapters of a story about the wizards and science. The science in the first one and the way its explained is quite like "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking so not a textbook but designed to explain very complicated stuff to people without any background in it.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby DaveC » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:53 am

Am 5 chaptres in and finding the Science dense but really interesting as I wasn't much at science at school and this makes it fun! Wizard stuff is wacky but predictable, which is OK.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:18 am

Glad your enjoying it DaveC
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Was in a bookshop today and noticed the revised version, it has 2 extra chapters and like 25 more pages. Anyone know if its worth getting if i see it again cheap? I will carry on reading the first one that i am two thirds of the way through though.
Last edited by DaveC on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Dave was it this one,2nd edition with two extra chapters
UK paperback
Ebury Press, 21,000 copies, 2/5/02 (0-091-88657-0)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby DaveC » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Probably.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Well, I finished it on Friday. It was heavy going but enjoyable, seemed to finish rather suddenly but the rest of the science carries on in the next to books I am sure.

Story was good but not gripping. The science was enlightening and exciting.

Don't know how re-readable it is, though. Still curious to know what the extra chapters and stuff of revised edition add.

Look forward to reading II and III when I get to them.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:03 am

Finished Science of Discworld II last night. Much more enjoyable than the first. Better story and could relate to the science more. Rinsewind's best role so far - on to Night Watch now!!! :D :D :D

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby deldaisy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 pm

The Science books CAN be heavy going and I read all of them in different ways. Sometimes the Discworld story skipping the real science then back to read the science, and sometimes in order.
Strange how things come into our life at strange times though...... At the same time that my little one was diagnosed with a neurological condition (she was two and a half and it was devastating!) I was on the net for hours and hours researching (as most parents do when they are confronted by this) and since I don't trust just any site I was reading papers written by neurologists as scientific papers (now THAT was heavy!). I started dating a genetic scientist (purely by co-incidence; I had NO idea when we started dating) and the new Science of the Discworld came out. :shock: Pretty amazing huh? I tell you when I finally got to talk to the panel of therapists and with the obligitory neurologist thrown in who were there to give their final judgement on my daughters condition, I had a few questions that made them sit up VERY straight and treat me a little differently during that interview. I took the Discworld Science, strained it through the genetic scientist, and threw it to the neurologists.

Look I know I sound like a Terry Pratchett freak; but if that book hadn't come along at the exact time it did, so I could use it like a "translator" for the mind numbing load of information I was being fed at a time when ALL I wanted to do was sit in a nice dark cave and cry for my daughter...
deldaisy

Postby pip » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Inspiring stuff.

I think half the point of the science books was in that filter idea. Make stuff scientists have overcomplicated with jargon accesable.

Always nice to hear when stuff like this helps. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby deldaisy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Pip I got all teary writing about those days. I'm calmer and more non-chalant about her prognosise these days. It will be what it will be and she's a lovely child. The therapy is one thing but I would say one of the most important things we taught her was how to deal with idiots who say things in front of her as if she if DEAF too... adults mainly.
She turned 11 yesterday :D They said she may not ever put two sounds together and now she talks so much we are constantly telling her to please please be quiet. (I reserve ONE day a year to have a really good cry for her, and what won't be) but it hasn't all been doom and gloom. At age 7 she put her first two sounds together (she used to visit her *UGH* dad on weekends) When I heard it I rang him to tell him (so excited! REALLY I was :D :evil: ) and he was horrified! "You can't tell the therapists THAT!!!!!" "But its TWO sounds! Its TWO sounds!" Yes her first word, thanks to her dad, was F-AAAAAR! :D (The therapist was excited too... after all it WAS two sounds). Then at age 8 as I put the girls to bed one night I always said "Love you!" and turned off the lights, there was a pregnant pause and this little voice in the dark said "u-u-u-u-uv oo" :cry: The house exploded as the older girls jumped out of bed, and lights went on, and dancing was begun. We had a party until midnight (noone was going to sleep). You have to listen carefully, but she can talk now and talk she does. Non-stop.
:D
deldaisy

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 pm

That's lovely :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby DaveC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:37 am

That's an amazing story. :cry:

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:03 am

Absolutely,very heart warming. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 am

deldaisy wrote:Pip I got all teary writing about those days. I'm calmer and more non-chalant about her prognosise these days. It will be what it will be and she's a lovely child. The therapy is one thing but I would say one of the most important things we taught her was how to deal with idiots who say things in front of her as if she if DEAF too... adults mainly.
She turned 11 yesterday :D They said she may not ever put two sounds together and now she talks so much we are constantly telling her to please please be quiet. (I reserve ONE day a year to have a really good cry for her, and what won't be) but it hasn't all been doom and gloom. At age 7 she put her first two sounds together (she used to visit her *UGH* dad on weekends) When I heard it I rang him to tell him (so excited! REALLY I was :D :evil: ) and he was horrified! "You can't tell the therapists THAT!!!!!" "But its TWO sounds! Its TWO sounds!" Yes her first word, thanks to her dad, was F-AAAAAR! :D (The therapist was excited too... after all it WAS two sounds). Then at age 8 as I put the girls to bed one night I always said "Love you!" and turned off the lights, there was a pregnant pause and this little voice in the dark said "u-u-u-u-uv oo" :cry: The house exploded as the older girls jumped out of bed, and lights went on, and dancing was begun. We had a party until midnight (noone was going to sleep). You have to listen carefully, but she can talk now and talk she does. Non-stop.
:D

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Despite having a headcold and two of the bosses chasing me for work not even due yet I now have a big grin and Know i'll have a good day after hearing it.

You'll never tire of listening to her. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels