Science of Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Science of Discworld

Postby DaveC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 am

Hello!

I am reading the Discworlds through for the first time (in order) and am thoroughly enjoying them.

I am currently a third of the way through The Fifth Elephant and realised that in year order The Science of Discworld comes next.

Should I read it next or carry on to The Truth and read them once I have finished the novels?

I own all all of the books (including Mapps and quizzes) barring The Last Hero, Night Watch, Going Postal and A Hat Full of Sky. Nanny Oggs Cookbook and Where's my Cow? + Science of Discworlds 2/3.

Thanks for any help you can give.

DaveC
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby michelanCello » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 am

Welcome to the site, DaveC! :D I don't think order matters in Discworld, so it doesn't really matter which one you'll read next... but maybe others will think differently about this...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:58 am

Hi there DaveC and welcome. :D

To be perfectly honest, I'd just continue with the mainstream series and leave the 'Science' books until you've finished.

I don't think you'll gain anything that you don't already know about the Disc from them. The Science series have short bits with the Wizards, but they are mainly looking at Earth science through using the wizards. The majority of the books are written by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart with Terry's collaboration (I think I'm right in saying).

I hope that helps. :)

I have to say that I've only read the first 'Science' book and didn't enjoy it much - too much science and not enough Discworld. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

Think I will carry on with the main series first as you say. It just gets better and better!

Just thought I'd check as it seems like only only real wizard book between The Last Continent and Unseen Academicals.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi DaveC

The third science book (Darwin's Watch) is well good. I strongly recommend it. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm

If you're interested in science I'd recommend reading the Science books and probably spaced out amongst the other books is the easiest way to do it, they can be quite heavy going

of course you could just do what my brother did and only read the chapters about the wizards not the ones about the science...
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm

By the way - for those of you who are Anne McCaffrey fans - Dr Jack Cohen one of the co-writers of the Science of Discworld books, is the same Dr Jack Cohen Anne credits as a scientific advisor for the Dragonriders of Pern books. 8)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me DaveC! :D

TBH, although I've read all the other books, I've never read any of the Science of Discworld books. I did enjoy The Folklore of Discworld and Nanny Oggs Cookbook tho.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum DaveC - this is possibly the only fan board where even the nerdier forums are fun! :wink:

The Science trilogy are great books, but like Tony's saying they're pretty light on Discworld, so they're complementary to rather than part of the main series. The 1st one's pretty heavy on the science, but I liked 2 & 3 a lot as there was more involvement with the wizards and from Terry on the science side too (I think - with the storytelling ape thingie) in those, possibly because it emphasised the people side of things more rather than on gases and elements and climate bits. It's an interesting way to piggyback on Terry's worldview too, but the 3 books ain't really of Discworld. :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi DaveC welcome.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Welcome :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Finished The Fifth Elephant today and have just started The Science of Discworld. Only a couple of pages in it engrossing, will give my oppinion when I finish.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 pm

The 1st books are pretty tough going in the pure Science side, but the UU/Rincewind bits are fun with their observations of Roundworld. 2 and 3 are much more readable as a whole so give them a try even if you abandon book 1 :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Will give it a good try, haven't given up on a book since Robinson Crusoe when I was 12, even if books I have lost interest in take me years to complete! :lol:

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Jane » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Are the Science books told as a fun story? Or are they informative like incredibly dull textbooks that you get at school? Or are they informative AND educational, like that Bill Nye the Science Guy stuff?

I saw those books at the shop and I was wondering if they were worth getting. :P Only I wouldn't want them if they'd remind me (unpleasantly) of school while reading them.
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Next

Return to Discworld novels