Ridcully Question

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Ridcully Question

Postby Ook! » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi all, first time Topic...(please be gentle...) :wink:

In FOC, near the end, (page 408, Corgi paperback) the Cheif Priest of Blind Io is mentioned. He's reffered to as Hughnon Ridcully... any relation to Archchancellor Ridcully?

I've read a fair number of the DW series, but i coulden't recall this mentioned...

Ook!
Ook!

Postby Penfold » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Hellooo and welcome to the forum, Ook! :D

If my memory serves me correctly, the Archchancellor and Hughnon are brothers, but they tend to be discreet about the relationship since wizards and priests aren't meant to get on with each other. I'm sorry I can't remember which book refers to this, tho.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 am

They are indeed brothers. If you have The Last Hero, illustrated by Paul Kidby, you'll see a picture of the Ridcully brothers. There's a remarkable likeness. :wink:

The New Discworld Companion has this to say:

Ridcully, Hughnon.

Chief Priest of Blind Io and brother of Mustrum. He is married, but otherwise sensible and solid. Solid as a rock and sometimes as sensible.
:lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:23 am

Now I'll be really annoyed until I can remember which book their relationship gets a mention in. It's where they're talking... "Still God-bothering?" "Still meddling with the fabric of the universe & things that man should not what of etc?" Garn! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 am

I think it might be the Truth. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:37 am

Dotsie wrote:Now I'll be really annoyed until I can remember which book their relationship gets a mention in. It's where they're talking... "Still God-bothering?" "Still meddling with the fabric of the universe & things that man should not what of etc?" Garn! :lol:

I think it was in Reaper Man?

edit: welcome to the site ook! :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Banzai » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm

The book its mentioned in is the one with the 'living shoppingbaskets on wheels' caused by nothing is dying cause Death has wandered off wonderig how it is to be human. Its the 'Reaper man' isnt it?

The priest and the archchanselor is walking a little bit away from their wizards/priests thats in a big fight behind them, and they speak of how their mother would like them both to come over to hoghwatchs-dinner or something like that... that one of them isnt visiting as often as it should (think that was Ridcully)...
One of Norways biggest fan of the Discworld.
My own humorblog is found at : http://insaneframe.blogspot.com (no ads etc).
Banzai

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Reaper Man

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/D ... /ReaperMan

Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully's brother Hughnon is the High Priest of Blind Io and therefore the leader of Ankh-Morpork's clerics. They get on pretty well, but drop continuous cracks about each other's vocation:

Mustrum: How's things in the godbothering business?
Hughnon: Not bad. How's the tinkering with things men was not meant to understand?
Mustrum: Pretty fair. Pretty fair.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Aha, thanks guys! No longer really annoyed :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Ook! :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Return to Discworld novels