Where do you buy your DW books and at what price?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Where do you buy your DW books and at what price?

Postby deric » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi, I've just ordered my first ever Terry book, Guards! Guards!, from Amazon for my Kindle. I paid £3.65. I like, and have bought, hardbacks and paperbacks but I am running out of room for all my books. I still succumb when I see a new hardback at a good price, the last one I bought for £10 was Fall of Giants by Ken Follett RRP £20.
deric

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 pm

I think you'll enjoy it, deric! It's the first of the City Watch books and a great place to start with a six-foot dwarf as your guide. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 am

I only buy paperbacks and usually Smiths or Waterstones or Dillons have some "special offer", 3 for 2 or second book half price or some such so the average is probably about a fiver.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby author3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I buy my Discworld books in a bookshop in a town not to far from where I live called Killarney.I buy them for 9euro which would be around £7.50 :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Waterstones is about the same 7.99ish. Charity shops sell them for approx 1.50! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 pm

I bought Hogfather in this stall called ''The Book Shack'' in Blackpool. it has a sticker on the inside saying ''Please remember to swap your old books for new books at half price'' :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Re: Where do you buy your DW books and at what price?

Postby BenBubb » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I bought my first TP book today. It was Hogfather as I thought as its that time of year I need a book to get me in the mood and thought of this one. I bought it in Waterstones i do think they sell their books at an expesnive price £7.99 for a small paperback I think is ridiculous I would pay that for a hardback! But I have a Kindle for christmas so have downloaded the entire discworld series to put on it when I get it. I have never read any other TP books before so this is my first, I am about 60 pages in and I love it can't believe I have missed them all these years!
BenBubb

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Excellent choice I do like the Hogfather and the film is my favorite as well.
And welcome to the forum Ben. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Antiq » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Chapters, in Dublin. I get a lot of them second-hand there, and they give you vouchers if you spend a certain amount, and you can sell books to them :D They also have nifty gifts. I love that shop.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum,BenBubb.You have a lot of fun reading in front of you. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Penfold » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Hellooo and welcome Ben. Hogfather is an excellent book but if you have any questions about it or the others (being new to Discworld), feel free to ask and we will try to answer as best we can without giving away too many spoilers. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Welcome Ben! :D

I agree £7.99 is a bit steep, especially as you can usually pick up a brand new first edition hardback (when they are first released) for as little as £9.95.

You might want to look online for cheaper paperbacks. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BenBubb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Welcome Ben! :D

I agree £7.99 is a bit steep, especially as you can usually pick up a brand new first edition hardback (when they are first released) for as little as £9.95.

You might want to look online for cheaper paperbacks. ;)

Yeah they are alot cheaper online but i wanted it that day so i couldnt wait. I had finished the last book of the hunger games triliogy the night before so couldnt go a few days without reading i would go mad. So i just popped into the nearest waterstones and got it.
BenBubb

Postby pip » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 am

Antiq wrote:Chapters, in Dublin. I get a lot of them second-hand there, and they give you vouchers if you spend a certain amount, and you can sell books to them :D They also have nifty gifts. I love that shop.

Chapters is in my top five favourite places. Its fanatastic. Best History section in the city and best second shop in the country :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby BenBubb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Ok finished Hogfather tonight and thought it was amazing. I loved every page, I am so glad I decided to give him a try. I'm about to start the colour of magic. And have ordered the next 2 so I look forward to reading more pratchett!
BenBubb

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels