What is next

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What is next

Postby Albert_Spangler » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm

So, I know that there is another Moist book in the pipeline (something about taxes?) and also another called I shall wear midnight (not sure if this is discworld or not). My question is, what would everyone like to see next?

My personal preference would be a sequel to The Truth with William moving into magazines, or another story involving Mr Nutt as I think he is possibly one of the best charcters for a while.
Albert_Spangler

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:05 pm

I think there are already Magazines like Bu-Bubble so I don't think that would be a progressive move for Mr De Worde...
I would like a book about Televisions the invention of - personally.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Albert_Spangler » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:32 pm

That's true I forgot about that. Television seems good, but I don't think it would be allowed due to the Moving Pictures fiasco. Would be interesting though.

Perhaps a talent show x factor style contest would make an interesting story or an auditorium based big brother style show
Albert_Spangler

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:15 pm

There were a whole bunch of hints about an underground railway system in Thud! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Albert_Spangler » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:18 pm

That could be interesting, perhaps it might lead onto the invention of the motor car? Who knows?
Albert_Spangler

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Going by the other demon powered devices on the Disc, maybe someone will invent the Hillman Imp.* :lol:

*Edit - I just realised that that is not going to mean much to a lot of people here. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 pm

I think it was suggested in earlier books that to magic someone or something was initially very hard but thereafter became much easier (Greebo's tranformations between cat and human being just one example). With this in mind, I would like to see Sam Vimes time travel again, the period being the Ankh Morpork Civil War where he would have to take the place of his own ancestor! Terry could have great fun with paradoxes, history, and the moral implications of executing the last King. :twisted: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:43 am

I go for TV with omniscopes cheaply available for all and a reality show featuring some of the previous characters eg;

Rincewind
Pteppic
Nijel
Glod
Brick
Twoflower's daughter with attitude
Mr Pump
Agness
etc.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:33 pm

I hope that, miracles-of-modern-medicine-willing, Pterry is able to continue to write books that, after finishing the next Moist book that he doesn't do another book about "cultural phenomena" (i.e., Moving Pictures, Soul Music, Unseen Academicals) but instead does another series book, either another Guards book or (since it's a been such a long time) an non-Tiffany witches book. Or something that would combine the two series!

Honestly, any DW books that he's able to write from hereonin will be literary manna from heaven.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Rincewind-Type of cheese? » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Albert_Spangler wrote:That's true I forgot about that. Television seems good, but I don't think it would be allowed due to the Moving Pictures fiasco. Would be interesting though.

Perhaps a talent show x factor style contest would make an interesting story or an auditorium based big brother style show

Why was Moving Pictures a fiasco?
Ho! The megapode!
Rincewind-Type of cheese?

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Just a matter of opinion - Moving Pictures is always in my top 5 if only because of Gaspode starting out there :lol: I love that book as it gives CMOT full range in the Sam Goldwyn mould - absolute top drawer satire the whole way through - I actually prefer it to Wyrd Sisters and I adore the Witches
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:47 pm

^^^^^

Absolutely agree 200% with you Jan. I love Moving Pictures!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I don't think Albert meant that the book was a fiasco but rather that the movies were a fiasco because creatures from the Dungeon Dimesnions broke through. :)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 pm

That's why it's so good! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 am

Not sure if Vetinari would agree :wink: He probably wouldn´t allow something that is quite similar :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Next

Return to Discworld novels