the right order

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 pm

What does J-I-B mean?
(Ooh! my knee just jerked. :lol: )
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby mariekni » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Willem wrote:Mariekni, could you perhaps list the books you've got now? Then we could recommend which one you should wait with (because it's part of a series) and which you could read now (stand-alone books, or first in a series).

I myself prefer reading books in a chronological-as-written order, just to avoid even minor spoilers, but that's just little old OCD me :)

Welcome to the site, enjoy the books!

yeah sure i can i have

the colour of magic
the light fantastic
mort hogfather
thud
reaper man
thief of time
jingo
sould music
eric
feet of clay
interesting times
monstrous regiment

also i have on the way

equal rites
soucery

i think thats them all :lol:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby chuckie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Iwould suggest reading Mort next.
It's the first book of the Death thread. Also, quite a number of discworld fans started by reading Mort.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:21 pm

ImageHellooo and welcome from me too, Mariekni! :)

Sorry I didn't welcome you earlier. I remember a disussion about reading order a couple of months ago and someone supplied a 'READING CHART' that, although slightly out of date, I thought might be useful. Unfortunately, I cannot remember who posted it or where, but thank-you anyway.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby mariekni » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:27 pm

hi penfold thank you for the welcome. do you mean this thread?

http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... php?t=1225

if so i have took a look at it and must say i couldnt make head nor tail of it (i can be very ditsy at times :lol: ).
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby raisindot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:J-I-B I am concerned that you are suffering from some confusion about the differences between the Geneva convention, the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU)

since any attempt to combine beaurocracies results in an exponential increase in red tape I shall introduce a motion to clarify the differences between them at the earliest opportunity

:lol:

Which, of course, the UK will immediately reject as an infringement on their autonomous right to exponentially increase their own red tape without interference from the Continent. Expect Sir Humphrey* to issue a statement anytime now.

J-I-B

*If you don't get this reference, you're probably not British and/or over the age of 20 and/or a fan of classic BBC comedies.
raisindot

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:58 pm

mariekni wrote:hi penfold thank you for the welcome. do you mean this thread?

http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... php?t=1225

if so i have took a look at it and must say i couldnt make head nor tail of it (i can be very ditsy at times :lol: ).

Dats der bunny! Although the link on my post is margially more up to date and supplies a key to the connected books. Sorry if it didn't help :(
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Willem » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Definately Mort next - although it's book 4, nothing in book 3 has an impact on the things happening in book 3.
If your other books haven't arrived when you've finished with Mort, I'd say your pretty safe with Reaper Man (which is among many a fan's favorite books). After that, Soul Music, then Hogfather, then Thief of Time - these books all deal with Death in big parts. Still, I'd recommend reading those already ONLY if you haven't received the books inbetween yet.

For the others:
Don't read Feet of Clay, Jingo or Thud yet. These books are about the watchmen of Ankh-Morpork, and best read in order.

You seem to enjoy Rincewind, so try and get Sourcery soon. It picks up where Light Fantastic ends. Rincewind's adventures continue in Eric, and in Interesting Times after that. You might have overdosed on Rincewind by then though :)

Monstrous Regiment seems a standalone book, but there are many, many (short) appearances of characters from other books in there. I think you'll very much enjoy it without reading the previous books, but you'll miss out on lots of stuff.

Once again, I usually recommend reading them in the order they were published. You see the Discworld and characters evolving that way.
Willem

Postby mariekni » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:21 pm

thank you willem, i dont think i could ever overdose on rincewind :D i was hoping to read in order of publish at the moment i've decided to re-read the light fantastic. hopefully (fingers crossed) equal rites comes through the post tomorrow :D
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 pm

You certainly can't go wrong if you go with the publication order.

If doesn't matter that much really, but with some of the series, mostly with the Watch, but also some of the Witches too (the Tiffany books as well as she 'grows' in each book), you get some feel for the various characters as they join the Watch, or, with the Witches, how the events the books describe happen in sequence - for instance if you read Carpe Jugulum before Lord and Ladies, Verence and Magrat's 'issue' might get a bit back to front.... :oops: :lol:

If you did want to read the various series back to back, then it's best to keep to the published order as some things will get a little weird - or wyrder :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mariekni » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:25 pm

equal rites has just come through the post :D finally.
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:36 pm

raisindot wrote:
Doughnut Jimmy wrote:J-I-B I am concerned that you are suffering from some confusion about the differences between the Geneva convention, the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU)

since any attempt to combine beaurocracies results in an exponential increase in red tape I shall introduce a motion to clarify the differences between them at the earliest opportunity

Which, of course, the UK will immediately reject as an infringement on their autonomous right to exponentially increase their own red tape without interference from the Continent. Expect Sir Humphrey* to issue a statement anytime now.

J-I-B

*If you don't get this reference, you're probably not British and/or over the age of 20 and/or a fan of classic BBC comedies.

"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Re: the right order

Postby Lilith » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Ok, I will borrow this thread :) Again, the same problem here, how to read the Discworld books.
I don't mind buying the books (I'm even not sure if we have this books in our library) so this won't be a problem.

So far I haven't red any of this books, but I have two of them at home. I have at home Moving Pictures and I Shall Wear Midnight. What you suggest? Start with one of this or read them in written order or something like that?
Lilith

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 pm

I would read the other Tiffany Aching books before I Shall Wear Midnight, as that is most definitely a series. So that will be: Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith before ISWM. :)

Moving Pictures is something of a stand alone book and can be read at any point. It is particularly interesting as it introduces some favourite characters for the first time. :) I hope that helps.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:59 pm

I would add that, as you haven't read any of the books before, you might want to start with something like Guards! Guards! as it is a good book to introduce you to the main city of Ankh-Morpork and to meet several of the most important characters in future books. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels