the right order

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Ignore both me AND J-I-B too!
Both of us talk complete twaddle. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:53 pm

raisindot wrote:Welcome, Marieknie!

Just remember, whichever ones you read, make sure you read Pyramids last because it's by far the worst one. :P

[Ducking under the onslaught of pooh and tina bits]

J-I-B

Duck from me too ... Pyramids and Small Gods are FANTASTIC!!!!!!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby mariekni » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 am

argh dont worry poohcarrot i have great selective hearing/reading. :lol:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:02 am

Did not like small gods that much but prymids has been elevated into my top five after listening to it as an audio book,it had been a rather long time since I had read it . :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 am

On this side of the Pond it's nearly impossible to read the books in order unless you buy them, because most libraries only have a very small selection. So, I started off with The Fifth Elephant, Thief of Time, The Truth and Carpe Jugulum because they were the only ones in my local library at the time (I wasn't even looking for them and knew nothing about DW at the time--just happened to see them next to the Ann Pratchett books I was perusing and the covers looked interesting). It was only after going to Lspace that I discovered the "true" order. While TOT does stand by itself pretty well without having read the earlier Death books, TFE and CJ are much better reads if you've read their earlier series books first.

J-I-B.
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:29 am

How come you're allowed to say TOT, TFE & CJ when everyone moaned when Jano said FE & WA? :roll:

...and I thought you said you lived in Worthing? :?
poohcarrot

Postby Willem » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:35 am

Mariekni, could you perhaps list the books you've got now? Then we could recommend which one you should wait with (because it's part of a series) and which you could read now (stand-alone books, or first in a series).

I myself prefer reading books in a chronological-as-written order, just to avoid even minor spoilers, but that's just little old OCD me :)

Welcome to the site, enjoy the books!
Willem

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:29 am

I think it's worth reading the witch books and the watch books in order because there's so much character development that it can be disappointing to go back to the earlier version of Vimes or Granny Weatherwax.

However the really important thing is to read and enjoy them, after all you can always reread them all in a "correct" order later :D
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:13 am

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:I think it's worth reading the witch books and the watch books in order because there's so much character development that it can be disappointing to go back to the earlier version of Vimes or Granny Weatherwax.

However the really important thing is to read and enjoy them, after all you can always reread them all in a "correct" order later :D
And you will always need to read them more than once. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm

poohcarrot wrote:How come you're allowed to say TOT, TFE & CJ when everyone moaned when Jano said FE & WA? :roll:

Sir Pooh, if instead of resorting to your usual knee-jerk comments you had actually READ THE ENTIRETY of my message you would have CLEARLY seen that I wrote the FULL NAMES of the books in question BEFORE I abbreviated them later. So, unless I have misinterpreted the Geneva Convention Rules On Discworld Discussions, I would think that this use of abbreviation would be allowed, although we may have to have a General Assembly to clarify them. :roll:

And don't even think of counting me among those were were "moaning' about Jano's abbreviations. I simply asked what they were. Wasn't complaining about them. :wink:

Poor Mariekni--I hope all this anal-retentive bantering about doesn't drive you away from here. It's all in good fun.

:lol:
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 pm

What about the "Worthing" comment I knee-jerkedly made, because you appear to be claiming to come from the US again? :lol:

Anyway the Geneva Convention on abbreviations states that first you have to do this;

Thief of Time(TOT).

Then every time you mention it the abbreviation, people have a reference point to go back to.
Last edited by poohcarrot on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:21 pm

poohcarrot wrote:What about the "Worthing" comment I knee-jerkedly made, because you appear to be claiming to come from the US again? :lol:

I do hope that you are not going to accuse me of coming from Boston? :wink:

Pinflod in WORTHING! :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:23 pm

poohcarrot wrote:What about the "Worthing" comment I knee-jerkedly made, because you appear to be claiming to come from the US again? :lol:

Anyway the Geneva Convention on abbreviations states that first you have to do this;

Thief of Time(TOT).

Aha, there it is, clear as day in Section 47, Paragraph 23, Sub-paragraph 18-f, right next to the section about proper weight measures for determining the proper quality grade of kumquats for intra-European trade.

Now, I never said WHICH side of the pond I was referring to, did I?

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:30 pm

J-I-B I am concerned that you are suffering from some confusion about the differences between the Geneva convention, the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU)

since any attempt to combine beaurocracies results in an exponential increase in red tape I shall introduce a motion to clarify the differences between them at the earliest opportunity

"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels