the right order

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

the right order

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:23 pm

hi i'm new on here, i was just wondering how important is it to read the discworld novels in order? i have about 11 of the discworld novels so far and am still buying more to the collection. i have read the colour of magic and the light fantastic and am now waiting on equal rites to come through the post but would the story be spoiled if i read some of the other books whilst i'm waiting i.e like thud or interesting times etc?? sorry if that all sounds just like a rambling mess lol
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi there mariekni and welcome to the site! :D

I would say that in most cases it really doesn't matter what order you read the books in. I know that most people who have read them randomly haven't found it a problem to work out what's going on.

You have a huge adventure ahead of you - discovering Discworld and its inhabitants - I envy you. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:36 pm

thank you for the reply. i have really fell in love with these books and need another fix so it was either wait impatiently for equal rites to come through the post or start on one of the other 11 books i have sat in front of me lol. i'll be the first to admit i'm impatient :oops:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby chuckie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Welcome to the site mariekni :)
Personally, i'd prefer to read the books of each thread in order.
however Equal rites could be considered a stand alone book it dosn't really matter if you read another one.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:51 pm

another query. i have got a link to the order of the books but as i look into it more i have seen there is yet another order of reading ie the rincewind books, the witchs books, death books etc. so now i'm confused (which really isnt hard to confuse me lol) this is the link i'm following so far
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld
if you scroll towards the bottom there a list.
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm

mariekni wrote:another query. i have got a link to the order of the books but as i look into it more i have seen there is yet another order of reading ie the rincewind books, the witchs books, death books etc. so now i'm confused (which really isnt hard to confuse me lol) this is the link i'm following so far
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld
if you scroll towards the bottom there a list.
The books are set (for the most part) in various parts of the Discworld with particular charcters. So, for example, there are the City Watch books that are about the police force in Ankh-Morpork and how they get bigger and take on a much bigger role in the city.

The Witch books are set a long way away from Ankh-Morpork - in the Ramtop Mountains, where things tend to be very much more rural.

Terry has said in the past that the Discworld books are rather like taking Tolkien's Middle Earth and looking at it several hundred years after the last big battle. All the races are there and they've moved on, got jobs in the big city and discovered new technologies etc. It doesn't work exactly like that, but that gives some idea.

The Elves are very different though. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm

its all making sense now lol

i have been really loving the amazing duo that is rincewind and twoflower so i'm on edge to see how rincewind will come across now without twoflower. they just seemed to compliment each other with there wit and innocence bouncing off each other. its so nice to be able to talk about all this without getting looks off my family who think i'm going barmy talking about wizards and walking luggage :lol:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Elves were always wicked (inh a hip-hop sense :twisted: ) - they just got really wickeder after Sauron was sorted out :twisted: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 pm

hmmm dont think i've met the Elves yet. what a nice little teaser for me :lol:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I like to separate them into groups...

Equal Rites Wyrd Sisters Witches Abroad Lords and Ladies Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum are 'correct' order for Witches...

Just for starters!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Hello and Welcome mariekni :D If you like Rincewind and Twoflower you should know that Twoflower has a role in Interesting Times :P
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:Hello and Welcome mariekni :D If you like Rincewind and Twoflower you should know that Twoflower has a role in Interesting Times :P

thank you will look forward to reading interesting times. i have it here in my cabinet but as said above i'm hoping to read them in some sort of order but now not sure which. wether it be the order which the link above shows or wether to read them in order of rincewind book, witch books etc. i asked mostly because i have equal rites on its way but so desperately want to carry on the adventure like now :lol: i'm so impatient :roll:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Welcome to the site mariekni :) :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Welcome to the site mariekni :) :)

thank-you :)
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby raisindot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Welcome, Marieknie!

Just remember, whichever ones you read, make sure you read Pyramids last because it's by far the worst one. :P

[Ducking under the onslaught of pooh and tina bits]

:lol:

Kidding. Read whatever you want, in whatever order you want.

J-I-B
raisindot

Next

Return to Discworld novels