Thud! Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 pm

It's the same charity that's been trying to send "u"s to the US, but they all get thrown into Boston Harbouuuuugh. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

But they look very colorful just floating on the surface! :wink:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:52 pm

poohcarrot wrote:It's the same charity that's been trying to send "u"s to the US, but they all get thrown into Boston Harbouuuuugh. :lol:

That's because we're a nation of "a"s and "e"s, "i"s and "o"s. The only people who really like "u"s are those who in New Jersey, but only if there's an "f" in front of it.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:53 pm

:oops: I meant harbouuuur. :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:56 pm

poohcarrot wrote::oops: I meant harbouuuur. :roll:

No, you had it right the first time. In Beantown, we don't pronounce the end "r"s.

:o

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Turtles4Ever » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I liked this book a lot but I have to agree that the girl's night out is probably its weakest point. And yes the end message is positive and like Tony I don´t think it´s overly so. Vimes observes at the end that Dwarfs and Trolls still don´t like each other but at least they don´t kick each other heads in. Which is a good start :wink:

I love Thud!, but have to agree with you re the girl's night out being the weakest point.
Turtles4Ever

Postby sheilaj » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 pm

But the girls night out is also making that same point...about not kicking each others heads in..I thought it was genuinely funny too...I wonder where TP got the inside info from?? NOBA even if it was weak I would tolerate it for the sake of that splendid comment made by IIRC Fred Colon
" 's called "minge drinking" "
I mean only TP could get away with that one!!
sheilaj

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Only just though :lol:
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 am

sheilaj wrote:....NOBA even if it was weak I would tolerate it for the sake of that splendid comment made by IIRC Fred Colon
" 's called "minge drinking" "
I mean only TP could get away with that one!!

Well, lines that like were the reason Fred Colon was invented!

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby N1v3n » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 pm

i read this a few years ago, but I'm listening to it now on audio book. Makes jogging a lot more fun, and gets me some strange looks as I run past people giggling.

I haven't ploughed through the whole 12 pages of this, so has anyone mentioned the Koom Valley Codex/Da Vinci Code thing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:10 pm

I had one problem with this book and it's the fact that Vimes very early in the book was capable of identifying a guard dwarfs gender just by looking for certain visual cues. If dwarfs have difficulty distinguishing each others genders a human should not be able to deduce it. If the dwarf in question was as bold as Cheery I wouldn't have a problem but the fact Vimes had to look hard suggests it wasn't something readily noticeable. Anything which requires a second look from a human would be blatant to the sort of dwarfs that work at and visit such traditional Grags.
One Man Bucket

Postby Dotsie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:52 am

Maybe being a different race actually means that he can deduce better than the dwarfs?

e.g. Parents might know their child for years, but still be the last to know if they're gay (as happened with my friend, who thought her parents must know - but it came as a huge shock to them). Being too close to something sometimes disguises it.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Being able to identify dwarf genders is just another example of Vimes's growth as a copper from the bumbling drunks of Guards Guards to the 'supercop' of the later books.

Working closely with Cheery before and after she 'came out of the closet' has educated him on the 'tells' that indicate the gender of Dwarfs. Learning that both Rhys and Dee were females also helped him realize that the power and authority of dwarfs were not necesarily restricted to males.

And it might actually be easier for a non-dwarf to distinguish between male and female dwarfs, once they know the signs to look for, because dwarfs themselves never think about these differences unless they're actually looking for a mate.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby One Man Bucket » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:00 pm

If dwarf courtship involves subtly trying to determine the gender of the other dwarf then I'd expect it to be a bit more complex than their skin is fairer, their eyes softer and their hair nicer. There's curves but the whole 12 layers of clothing makes it such that the traditionally dressed dwarf won't be seeing/revealing any curves until they reach a certain stage in your relationship.

The best explanation I can think of is that the dwarf in question was wearing really light make up so whilst being dressed traditionally they were showing some signs of femininity. I guess Grabpot Thundergust must be making some pretty good makeup if other dwarfs don't even notice you're wearing it. I'd be fine with this but it should also be unnoticeable to a human. The grags were very traditional and as such would likely go over the dwarfs they hire with a fine toothed comb any make up no matter how light should've been discovered. As such one can only conclude the dwarf in question wore the make up for the first time on the day Vimes visited. How convenient.

I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but I just can't help it. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm being nit pikcky
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Plenty of nits on this forum OMB - pick away! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels