Favourite?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby BlackAssassin » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:12 am

ooohhhh it is a tough one isn't it?!!

hmm well my all time favirote is Night Watch - for all the reasons already mentioned.... it made me cry.

I also enjoyed Wintersmith - all the Witches books are great :)

I actually have not read Small Gods and I am finding it really hard to get into :oops:
BlackAssassin

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:31 am

Small Gods is not an easy book and you'll probably need to read it more than once, but it's worth it. You have to get past the story and look at what Terry is satirising. It's like when you get past the so-called 'children's story' of Gulliver's Travels and see the real story beneath. :D

One of the reasons I love Small Gods so much is 'because' you have to work to get it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby SapphireForgeCat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:06 am

When i first read Small Gods i was a fundi Christian and didn't like it. When i read it the second time, i was still a fundi Christian but i realized it's not so much a dig on Christianity or any faith, but more on the human made religions built around it, and i loved it. Now i'm not even a Christian, nevermind a fundi.. So i think i must try it again.
..Sig by Shadowwolf
SapphireForgeCat

Postby ladyramkin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Nightwatch, of course, and Guards, Guards, but I especially love Interesting Times, cos I just fell in love with the Silver Horde, especially Mr. Savaloy. Oh heck, how can you choose :D
ladyramkin

VIMES

Postby Kirstie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 pm

All of the Watch books, especially Jingo and Night Watch......and Thud.......and well u get the idea. I just love Vimes, i like that whole sarccy, cynical thing. Dark yet a good guy. When the dwarf goes into the nursery in Thud...well i wont admit i didnt sigh with relief, as well as totally ignore my brothers shouts for help as he accidentally locked himself in the bathroom :D i picture him as a cross between Clint Eastwood and Hugh Laurie in House, with a bit of Bruce Willis thrown in for good measure :D

I also love Nanny Ogg as she totally reminds me of my late granny. And well Death...that goes without saying!
bugger...
Kirstie

Postby TheMole » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm

I love the books about Watch (which is maybe because I quite resemble Nobby Nobbs)...and if I have to choose - Guards and Night Watch.
And I love the Wyrd Sisters, also.
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby snapcase72 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:13 am

Seems to be hard to decide on only one...

My favorites right now are: Nightwatch, Small Gods, Reaper Man, Maskerade and A Hat Full of Sky.

This list is not definite, it may vary, depending on my mood, time of year, air humidity and wether a certain English football club scores a sufficient number of goals or not.
Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!
snapcase72

Postby Metsecman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 am

Wow!
This is like trying to pick the best one out of a box of maltesers; all good! :wink:
I am very interested in anything quantum, so Pyramids and Thief of Time are up there. On the other hand I love the headological powers of Granny Weatherwax, and then there's the marvelouse Vimes in Nightwatch but we mustn't forget Rincewind..........and......but.......
Oh I give up, everyone of them is my favourite. :D
There 10 types of people who understand binary: those who do and those who dont.
Metsecman

Postby mspanners » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 am

Men at Arms is my favourite.
A good plot with character developments from Guards-Guards, a Who Done It with a twist in it.
And a Laugh into the bargain. 8)
mspanners

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 pm

Soooooo hard! :roll:

Small Gods I think overall (was it the first one to have Lu tse in it?) But I just love the way Bruvver the true believer copes with Om's lack of faith and with the truly vile and politically warped Inquisitor whose name escapes me just now.

Fave Witch/Wizard book would have to be Lords and Ladies for all kinds of reasons but mostly 'cos of Ridcully rediscovering his youthful admiration of Granny :lol:

Fave Watch book - erm maybe Feet of Clay - bit like the X Files in a way and its the first time I'd ever heard about Golems too - although perhaps on balance Guards Guards as it's just wonderful with Vimes and Sybil starting to get it together and Carrot all cute and naive

I also love to re-read Moving Pictures as that's Gaspode's first outing and I love, love, love the ickle guy to bits :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Got to agree about Small Gods! Welcome Jan! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Hi Jan, welcome to the forum.
I am reading Thud at the moment, but any Terry Pratchett Discworld novel I happen to be reading is my favourite at the time.
I do love the Tiffany books though. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 pm

PS. I'll read Small Gods next :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Hope you enjoy it Tiffany! I just remembered the Inquisitor's name - Vorbis *me poor noggin! :roll: * He'd give the Borgias a good run for their money but lacks their venal passion(s) so not too much sympathico from anyone except Bruvver who's literally an illiterate saint :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby silverstreak » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Just so many to chose from.Can't be done I'm afraid.

Favourite character,on the other hand.Vimes,Carrot,Nanny Ogg,Ridcully,
Igor [all of them],Rincewind,Angua,Nobby,Lady Ramkin,Vetinari,Moist Von Lipwig..................Come to think of it I can't do favourite characters either!
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels