Favourite?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 am

That must be the most difficult question...

I'd have to say Jingo, and Carpe Jungulum and Going Postal and The Last Continent.

I can't really choose.

:lol:
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Hegewych » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 am

Soul Music - just because
and Masquerade - because it made me laugh out loud when I was on Holiday and people kept giving me funny looks.
Hegewych

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

Ha! I know what you mean!

When I read on public transportation people keep looking at me like I'm crazy. But I can't help it! xD
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

Hegewych wrote:Soul Music - just because
and Masquerade - because it made me laugh out loud when I was on Holiday and people kept giving me funny looks.
Ah! The joys of reading Pratchett in public! :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Emmers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 am

My favourite is "Men at Arms" - the coming-of-age of Carrot and the Watch... - Brilliant! :lol:
Noli illegitimi carborundum
Emmers

Postby GREEBO » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Best book, not easy to choose

Making Money is definatly one of the best but I am going to opt for Pyramids, it is definatly the one that made me laugh the most.

I havnt read all the postings on here so I dont know if this is a popular choise or not.

Please let me know
GREEBO

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:34 pm

It's not about 'popular', GREEBO. :) It's about which book means the most to you and why. You've answered that perfectly. :wink:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm

I love all the watch books, but Men at Arms might be my favourite.

But my absolute favourite "scene" in a book is when Death visits the department store as the Hogfather. I was on a train the last time I read it & I couldn't contain myself! I had to stick my head straight into the book so at least I couldn't see the looks I was getting.

So I can sympathise with anyone who suffers in the same way.

Dotsie x
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Dotsie wrote:I love all the watch books, but Men at Arms might be my favourite.

But my absolute favourite "scene" in a book is when Death visits the department store as the Hogfather. I was on a train the last time I read it & I couldn't contain myself! I had to stick my head straight into the book so at least I couldn't see the looks I was getting.

So I can sympathise with anyone who suffers in the same way.

Dotsie x
I've sometimes wondered if that scene is based on the fans meeting Terry at signings. :lol:
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby drumknott » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Small Gods.

Strong likable characters in a wonderfully weaved narrative. I think Mr. Pratchett worked wonders making this story biblical in both scale and imagery.

I even like the abridged audio book read by Tony Robinson, Although I think that Stephen Briggs is the best for bringing Discworld novels to life in Audio books.
drumknott

Postby VesuvianRuin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Pyramids would probably be my one book as I am a child at heart and would love to have the adventures of the assassins (without inhuming anyone of course!) Plus I love history so the pyramids and Dios won me over straightaway.

Nightwatch for me was the best written and most engaging. Sam Vimes could easily a real person in Roundworld and due to that fact it is so easy to relate to him.

I tend to read series together - witches, city watch, death etc. I have this tendency that if I fancy reading a book, say Witches Abroad, I have to go back and read Equal Rites etc. before I read WA but then of course I just can't stop and have to read the rest of the series.

On the flip side of the coin I have to say that my least favourite character is Rincewind and I don't tend to read his books very often. I've never been one to like the anti-hero who survives through pure chance as I can't relate Rincewind as I am the type of person to plan everything.

Love all PTerry books in general - just keep them coming! :)
Nietzsche: "Nothing is true, everything is possible"
VesuvianRuin

Postby Periwinkle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 am

I love Mort - very very funny!

I also love Maskerade, as I love the Theatre and the Witches and The Fifth Elephant cos that has Werewolves and I love Werewolves :oops:
Peace and be Wild!
Periwinkle

Postby ICL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:00 am

My all time favourite is Reaper Man.
I just have a soft spot for Death (and I wouldn't mind having Binky turning up in my stables - even if that means having to do 'the Duty')
ICL

favorites

Postby dibbler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 pm

my own pick is the thief of time. here terry tackles a subject most authors would never attempt and does it with ease. A close second is Mort AND I AM QUITE SERIOUS. Finally, my choice for Best First Book For Non-Pratchetters: the wee free men.
dibbler

favorites

Postby dibbler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 pm

my own pick is the thief of time. here terry tackles a subject most authors would never attempt and does it with ease. A close second is Mort AND I AM QUITE SERIOUS. Finally, my choice for Best First Book For Non-Pratchetters: the wee free men.
dibbler

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels