Favourite?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 am

That must be the most difficult question...

I'd have to say Jingo, and Carpe Jungulum and Going Postal and The Last Continent.

I can't really choose.

:lol:
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Hegewych » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 am

Soul Music - just because
and Masquerade - because it made me laugh out loud when I was on Holiday and people kept giving me funny looks.
Hegewych

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

Ha! I know what you mean!

When I read on public transportation people keep looking at me like I'm crazy. But I can't help it! xD
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

Hegewych wrote:Soul Music - just because
and Masquerade - because it made me laugh out loud when I was on Holiday and people kept giving me funny looks.
Ah! The joys of reading Pratchett in public! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Emmers » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 am

My favourite is "Men at Arms" - the coming-of-age of Carrot and the Watch... - Brilliant! :lol:
Noli illegitimi carborundum
Emmers

Postby GREEBO » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Best book, not easy to choose

Making Money is definatly one of the best but I am going to opt for Pyramids, it is definatly the one that made me laugh the most.

I havnt read all the postings on here so I dont know if this is a popular choise or not.

Please let me know
GREEBO

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:34 pm

It's not about 'popular', GREEBO. :) It's about which book means the most to you and why. You've answered that perfectly. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm

I love all the watch books, but Men at Arms might be my favourite.

But my absolute favourite "scene" in a book is when Death visits the department store as the Hogfather. I was on a train the last time I read it & I couldn't contain myself! I had to stick my head straight into the book so at least I couldn't see the looks I was getting.

So I can sympathise with anyone who suffers in the same way.

Dotsie x
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Dotsie wrote:I love all the watch books, but Men at Arms might be my favourite.

But my absolute favourite "scene" in a book is when Death visits the department store as the Hogfather. I was on a train the last time I read it & I couldn't contain myself! I had to stick my head straight into the book so at least I couldn't see the looks I was getting.

So I can sympathise with anyone who suffers in the same way.

Dotsie x
I've sometimes wondered if that scene is based on the fans meeting Terry at signings. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby drumknott » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Small Gods.

Strong likable characters in a wonderfully weaved narrative. I think Mr. Pratchett worked wonders making this story biblical in both scale and imagery.

I even like the abridged audio book read by Tony Robinson, Although I think that Stephen Briggs is the best for bringing Discworld novels to life in Audio books.
drumknott

Postby VesuvianRuin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Pyramids would probably be my one book as I am a child at heart and would love to have the adventures of the assassins (without inhuming anyone of course!) Plus I love history so the pyramids and Dios won me over straightaway.

Nightwatch for me was the best written and most engaging. Sam Vimes could easily a real person in Roundworld and due to that fact it is so easy to relate to him.

I tend to read series together - witches, city watch, death etc. I have this tendency that if I fancy reading a book, say Witches Abroad, I have to go back and read Equal Rites etc. before I read WA but then of course I just can't stop and have to read the rest of the series.

On the flip side of the coin I have to say that my least favourite character is Rincewind and I don't tend to read his books very often. I've never been one to like the anti-hero who survives through pure chance as I can't relate Rincewind as I am the type of person to plan everything.

Love all PTerry books in general - just keep them coming! :)
Nietzsche: "Nothing is true, everything is possible"
VesuvianRuin

Postby Periwinkle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 am

I love Mort - very very funny!

I also love Maskerade, as I love the Theatre and the Witches and The Fifth Elephant cos that has Werewolves and I love Werewolves :oops:
Peace and be Wild!
Periwinkle

Postby ICL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:00 am

My all time favourite is Reaper Man.
I just have a soft spot for Death (and I wouldn't mind having Binky turning up in my stables - even if that means having to do 'the Duty')
ICL

favorites

Postby dibbler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 pm

my own pick is the thief of time. here terry tackles a subject most authors would never attempt and does it with ease. A close second is Mort AND I AM QUITE SERIOUS. Finally, my choice for Best First Book For Non-Pratchetters: the wee free men.
dibbler

favorites

Postby dibbler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 pm

my own pick is the thief of time. here terry tackles a subject most authors would never attempt and does it with ease. A close second is Mort AND I AM QUITE SERIOUS. Finally, my choice for Best First Book For Non-Pratchetters: the wee free men.
dibbler

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels