Streets of Ankh-Morpork

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Streets of Ankh-Morpork

Postby Andrew Böber » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Just having great joy looking through Stephen Briggs and TP's "The Streets of Ankh-Morpork" again. It adore this map. It's better still when unfolded in the Edwardian veneer of my work office - a place which looks more and more like it has been decorated by Commander Vime's, which at least explains my method of filing (i.e. the floor).

I proudly have the clarecarft Ankh-Morpork Coat of Arms plaque hanging on a wall for my degree certs and chartered bunff. If anyone asks I just say it is a family crest - there has only be one member of staff so far who has clocked what is actually it.

Altogether I am not sure if this equates to me being an extremely sad sort of person, though if it does than it is one which paradoxically makes me happy.

There is certainly an hint of Ankh-Morpork when you work in a zoo. Your feet tend to navigate you around the place wearing an old pair of boots on autopilot; the air is often thick with pungent odours that could be described as interestingly engaging insofar as you’d want an immediate divorce with your sense of smell, let alone the custody rights to its lingering memory; the sense of fashion is influenced by varies centuries whilst never deciding what the present timeline actually is; your not sure where the animals end and the people start or the people start and the animals end, much the same as where people start and people end and animals start and animals end; no one really trusts wizards

Andrew
Cha bhi suaimhneas aig eucoir, no seasamh aig droch-bheairt
Andrew Böber

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 pm

I've always been in two minds about my Discworld maps. On the one hand I'd like to get them framed and put on the wall - on the other hand, I'd hate to destroy them by doing so. Yes, I could buy extra maps. But then I'd probably need a bigger flat for the wall space I'd need. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Um, don't you have two, really? one in AZ??? With a certain Mistress in Pain...? :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 pm

I have the Streets of Ankh-Morpork up on the wall in my bedroom (formerly my office) but it's not done any justice in there, although it did do sterling service as something to look at and make me smile whilst I was in still in gainful employment. :lol:

However, my Mappe of the Discworld is a different matter and has a unique and fitting place to be displayed...

and

I've posted these before but the thread's buried somewhere in last year :lol: My dad made it for me about 6 years ago and I've now got it in the living room (pictures were taken in the conservatory/gardening tool dump :oops: ). The Mappe itself will need to be replaced soon as it's faded rather badly, but maybe I'll save that for the conference and get the new one signed :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 pm

wow :o
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:31 pm

It's lovely isn't it? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:55 pm

yes it is :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:38 pm

He was brilliant with wood my dad :cry: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Andrew Böber » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 am

That really is an amazing piece.

Andrew
Cha bhi suaimhneas aig eucoir, no seasamh aig droch-bheairt
Andrew Böber

Postby MissTeatime » Fri May 21, 2010 6:34 pm

If only wood didn't hate me, then I'd make something like that. :shock:

My map of Ankh-Morpork graces the door to my room. I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions of our guests at my graduation party in two weeks' time. :lol:
"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always movin', and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance."
MissTeatime

Postby Quark » Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 am

I don't have the map :( I think I'd probably hang it up if I did. I've also got a map of the internet blu-tacked up next to my desk. :lol:
Quark

Postby mystmoon » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am

where's google?
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Thu May 27, 2010 11:17 am

Probably in America. Other side of the page :lol:

That ...map... is ....brilliant, Jan. Your very lucky to have a dad like that :D
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 am

:D I was very lucky Ponder. Sadly he's not with us anymore - except he is 'cos me, mum and all my sisters have all kinds of stuff he made for us (or mended/'improvised') in our respective houses :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby DaveC » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I have the Streets of Ankh-Morpork up on the wall in my bedroom (formerly my office) but it's not done any justice in there, although it did do sterling service as something to look at and make me smile whilst I was in still in gainful employment. :lol:

However, my Mappe of the Discworld is a different matter and has a unique and fitting place to be displayed...

and

I've posted these before but the thread's buried somewhere in last year :lol: My dad made it for me about 6 years ago and I've now got it in the living room (pictures were taken in the conservatory/gardening tool dump :oops: ). The Mappe itself will need to be replaced soon as it's faded rather badly, but maybe I'll save that for the conference and get the new one signed :D

I just have to say that is truly awesome.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Next

Return to Discworld novels