Silly question re. publication date

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Silly question re. publication date

Postby JulieDouglass » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:15 pm

I've just signed up to this forum partly to answer a question which has been nagging at me for quite a while. I have a vivid memory of reading "The Colour of Magic" in the 5th Form at school in 1975. The book was loaned to me by a school friend and I remember meeting "the luggage" and Rincewind and finding the whole concept of Discworld so marvellously different from the rather pompous fantasy novels I was consuming at the time.

Now, everythnig I've read tells me that "The Colour of Magic" was published in 1983, by which time I had graduated from university and got a job in the bowels of a museum. This time disorder has been bothering me ever since I found out the real publ. date of the first Discworld novel. Does anyone have any genuine suggestions as to what I was actually reading in 1975?
JulieDouglass

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Julie - welcome to the site. I don't know what to say other than it really was published 1983. Terry's first published book was 'The Carpet People' in 1971 followed by 'Dark Side of the Sun' in 1976.

I can only assume you got your copy via LSpace. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Julie

It's not a question of what you were reading, it's more a question of what you were smoking. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tristan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Maybe she's taking dried frog pills. :lol:

But seriously, it's really weird, but I guess Discworld goes further than the boundaries of time of space... :lol:
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby theoldlibrarian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

unless you broke in to terry's house and found an early edition of his fantasies in writing it must be L-space.
Although our brains often confuse us in those ways. Sometimes I would read 2 similar books and then think that they are the same book.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi Julie, Deja vous maybe or foward sight, but I can see why you are puzzled,Mnnnm.Image the mind boggles. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tristan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Hi Julie, Deja vous maybe or foward sight, but I can see why you are puzzled,Mnnnm.Image the mind boggles. Image

Déjà lu :lol:
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

welcome to the site julie with that type of memory you will fit right in :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi I'm Jan Van Quirm and I'm a Jilly Cooper-a-holic :oops:

Jilly's nothing to do with Terry of course but when I first cultivated my shameless 'habit' I tore through her early and not quite so horsy books and found that one of them, Octavia, I'd read before when I was about 13. It drove me mad trying to work out there the hell I'd read it before the publication details (I knew I'd not read the book at all before). Then finally I remembered that Ms. Cooper used to write serial fiction for teen mags and I'd read a truncated version of it in Petticoat severalm years before (this is going way back! :oops: )

Maybe Terry did something similar and did a short story or serialisation version of CoM before he got famous? :shock:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Publication date

Postby JulieDouglass » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm now convinced that linear time is an illusion, as after reading the book - and it was a book loaned to me by Lizzy Nurse's older brother Charlie - I didn't read any Terry Pratchet books until about 1990 when after much urging by friends, I finally read Mort. It then dawned on me that I'd already met some of the characters. If it happened now I would put it down to old age and too many chickens in the loft. Never mind, I'd hoped there was a genuine earlier version published in the SW of England.
JulieDouglass

Return to Discworld novels