So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome from me too :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:30 pm

Welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Teppic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks guys, not sure how often I'll post but I've got the forum bookmarked, so I'm sure I'll be around.
Teppic

Postby author3 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 am

1. My uncle and my grandfather are obsessed with them so every time I went to there houses I was surrounded by books that I just had to read:D

2.My first Discworld was Making Money

3. obviously

4.well I have just ordered Equal Rites Mort Sourcery Wyrd Sisters so probaby one of them

5.No I didn't
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 am

Welcome Author3, you have a long and very pleasurable marathon read ahead of you. :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 am

Welcome to the forum author3 :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby michelanCello » Sun May 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi there, Author3! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Teppic » Sun May 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Welcome aboard! 8)
Teppic

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun May 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Welcome to the site author3. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby author3 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:12 pm

thank you for all the welcomes
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby DaveC » Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Welcome author3! :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Siren » Sun May 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Ooh I hadn't seen this thread...
1.How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
My partner bought...
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and I really really loved it. Almost shed a tear on the last page, just one of those books you never want to end. I guess I connected with it especially, being the owner of 3 ratties.
3. Will you read more?
I fully intent to read them all!
4. Which one do you intend to read next?
I bought The Fifth Elephant today which I plan to read when I've finished The Truth.
I enjoyed Thud! immensely and when I read that it was a Vimes book, I just had to line that one up :D
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I would say I started with Thud! really, as that's the first 'adult' discworld book I read. Personally I found it extremely easy to get into! The characters are great and the whole thing is so brilliantly written and well observed it makes you want to pay attention and work out the relationships and plot points. I had no problem 'adjusting' to the fantastical nature of the universe presented as I'm heavily into my fantasy/sci-fi games and films ect already, although I had not recently read many novels that would be comparable.
I did find during reading Thud! that I occasionally had the feeling there were jokes and 'hintings at' that were whooshing over my head so to speak. These incidents didn't however prove to be a hindrance in actually following the story, and if anything made me look forward to re-reading in a few years with a bit more background to understand all the elements of the book more completely.

I'm 8/9 books in now and I would say I've found them all perfectly accessible. It just seems to get better and better the more you read really, I'm addicted! :D Honestly, I'm so thankful for his writings. I feel like I've discovered a literary gold mine! And I'm also really happy that it's lead me to discover this lovely, worth-while forum :)
"Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."
currently reading:The Fifth Elephant
Siren

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby Happy-Fish » Sun May 08, 2011 9:22 pm

I've been lurking for a while but I've decided to join in.

Some of the posters are making me feel old :shock:

1 & 2. I was looking for something new and a friend lent me CoM. It was ~1988 and I could only get LF and ER from the library although I haven't checked I don't think Terry had too many more published at that point!

3. Unfortunately Terry can't write them as quckly as I can read them :wink: I've got everything TP has produced, and since those first three they've been bought and read in publication order. I originally bought them in paperback, then when I got a job I bought them in hardback as soon as they came out. :D

Happily Pratchett's benefit from multiple re-readings and as you mature as a person you get more from the text. 8)

4. When the new one's out later this year I'll read that. At the moment I'm re-reading the Witches series as I have harboured ambitions to be Granny Weatherwax since ~1988.

5. Reading them in order has given me an appreciation for how Terry's style and the Discworld have matured. I don't think you need to read them in order though, there is enough context to read them as you come across them. I would venture that CoM and LF may put off some potential readers as his deftness and lightness isn't as well formed in those earliest books.
Happy-Fish

Postby DaveC » Sun May 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Welcome Happy Fish! :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Happy-Fish » Sun May 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks Mr C!
Happy-Fish

PreviousNext