Thief of Time question (not for the squeamish)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 am

is a twinkle what I think it is?

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:31 am

I don't know. What do you think it is? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:58 am

A saying wrote:She had a twinkle in her eyes

So why aren't eyes counted as orifices? :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 pm

because there full of eyeball pooh :lol: and eyes arent orifices anyway eye sockets might be tho

how do you classify an orifice is it something on your body that is big enough to fit a cotton bud in or a finger :lol: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Let's say cotton bud. That covers the wee hole and leaves out the tear ducts.

For all those who can't figure out what a twinkle is... it's specific to ladies! If you still aren't sure, you can PM me :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Hang about. I count 9 orifices. :lol:

2 eyes
2 nostrils
2 ears
1 mouth
1 twinkle
1 bum.

I hardly think a belly button counts, does it? :?

You're almost right Pooh. According to Wikipedia there are ten (yes TEN!) orifices for females. :shock:

Wikipedia wrote:A body orifice is any external opening in the body of an animal. In a typical mammalian body such as the human body, the body orifices are:

The nostrils, for breathing and the associated sense of smell.
The eyes, for the sense of sight and crying.
The mouth, for eating, breathing, and vocalizations such as speech.
The ear canals, for the sense of hearing.
The bum*, for defecation.
The urethra, for urination, and, in males, ejaculation.
In females, the twinkle*, for sexual intercourse, menstruation and childbirth.
Orifices of nipples
Orifices of sweat glands
Navel or belly button left over from placental mammals after birth.

Don't let this spoil a perfectly good discussion tho, I've always considered Wiki's definitions as a tad unreliable on occasion.

* I edited these words myself in keeping with the forum discussion. If anyone is still in any doubt as to what a twinkle is, definitely PM Dotsie!
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Ye Gods! :lol: :twisted: 8)

Twinkle = a females front bottom (well technically it's the middle bottom if you count the wee hole) I can't believe I just wrote that... :oops:

BTW - the belly button aint an orifice at any time in any mammal as it's tied or sealed at birth - it is not an orifice in vitro either since it's an umbilical :P canal that passes nutrients from the mother's placenta to the foetus so in effect nothing enters or leaves as it's a connective tube without an opening whilst it performs it's only true function :roll: :P

By this criteria tear ducts are indeed orifices if titchy as they emit internal body fluids... :wink:

Quite an interesting deconstuction of the word orifice HERE... :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:25 pm

Yes, I too wondered about the belly button but who am I to argue with the 'experts'. ImageHow deep does an opening (from your deconstruction of the word) have to be to become labelled as an orifice? And what of those people whose belly button sticks out?Image

By the way, thanks for definition of twinkle. If any one still has serious doubts over what it is then I suggest they post on the Ask Cassanunder Thread since they are obviously in need of serious help! :P :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Penfold wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:A body orifice is any external opening in the body of an animal. In a typical mammalian body such as the human body, the body orifices are:

The nostrils, for breathing and the associated sense of smell.
The eyes, for the sense of sight and crying.
The mouth, for eating, breathing, and vocalizations such as speech.
The ear canals, for the sense of hearing.
The bum*, for defecation.
The urethra, for urination, and, in males, ejaculation.
In females, the twinkle*, for sexual intercourse, menstruation and childbirth.
Orifices of nipples
Orifices of sweat glands
Navel or belly button left over from placental mammals after birth.

Don't let this spoil a perfectly good discussion tho, I've always considered Wiki's definitions as a tad unreliable on occasion.

Hmmm...not that I would ever want to doubt the 100% reliability of Wikipedia, given still the notion that LL knew what the orifices did by experience, that would disqualify that sweat glands/tear ducts (I don't think she would even think these would be large enough, and not sure whether she cried or not, probably not). And well, the nipples--not that I can speak from personal experience, but they really only become 'functional' after the functionality of the twinkle has occurred, right?

:oops:

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 am

What about the Virgin Mary? :lol:

edit:

That was a really silly thing I just wrote. I was assuming the twinkle only had the one use ie; sexual. :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:14 am

She was just a one way street for that one pooh :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:11 am

poohcarrot wrote:What about the Virgin Mary? :lol:

edit:

That was a really silly thing I just wrote. I was assuming the twinkle only had the one use ie; sexual. :roll:

With the risk of blasphemy, this reminds of me of that classic Sam Kinison (a great comic who started his career as a fundamentalist preacher) routine about Joseph's reaction after Mary tells him that she is pregnant with the Son of God:

Joseph: "Son of God right, okay, okay, I got it, Mary. Son of God. But this had better be the ONLY Son of God, right?"

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:35 am

Since sweat glands and milk ducts are microscopic (and numerous), I certainly don't count them amongst my orifices (not that I count my orifices very often).

raisindot wrote:Joseph: "Son of God right, okay, okay, I got it, Mary. Son of God. But this had better be the ONLY Son of God, right?"

:lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:06 pm

I think the Hindus have orifices defined best in terms of hygiene/cleansing. :P

Navels don't feature in this ritual bathing as it's not a body opening but a disused sealed up tube (not even an exit/entrance). Ditto sweat and milk ducts as Dotsie points out they're basically skin and don't need 'sluicing' as such. All the other points have bodily substances (not necessarily the individual's :wink: ) being inserted or emitted or both. I could go on about the anus as being primarily designed as a one-way (exit) valve but better not go there... :twisted:

Anyway the good ole Hindus all make sure they cleanse the ears, eyes, nostrils, mouth and up to 3 nether region orifices daily. The rest aren't too important ritually :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby bikkit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Rejoice! A twinkle was what I thought it was!

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels