Pyramids Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Pyramids Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby UnseenAcademical88 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up, Pyramids is now £2.57 on Amazon.co.uk for the Kindle Edition. :)
UnseenAcademical88

Postby Ceno » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Hello, new here.

I got a question: The gods of Djelibeybi became real due to Dios's manipulation of time breaking reality itself, in a similar way to how Bilious and the Verruca Gnome became real in Hogfather due to Teatime's actions.

However, in Last Hero we learn that Bast and Sessifet are up there in Dunmanifestin with the main gods of Discworld.

Do we know how did that work? Did Bast and Sessifet survive after Peppic saved the day and went to claim a place at Dunmanifestin? Or were the Bast and the Sessifet that manifested in Pyromids different entities than the "proper" gods? Or were the "proper" Bast and Sessifet taken from Dunmanifestin and forced to manifest at Djelibeybi?

Also, iSessifet is described as a "naked blue goddess" in several wikis, but in the books the only naked blue goddess is Nept...is that an errata that has been copypasted again and again, or am I missing some reference? Is she described as a "naked blue goddess" in the Discworld Noir Video Game?

Thank you in advance.
Ceno

Postby =Tamar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:49 am

Ceno wrote: The gods of Djelibeybi became real due to Dios's manipulation of time breaking reality itself, in a similar way to how Bilious and the Verruca Gnome became real in Hogfather due to Teatime's actions.

However, in Last Hero we learn that Bast and Sessifet are up there in Dunmanifestin with the main gods of Discworld.

Do we know how did that work? Did Bast and Sessifet survive after Peppic saved the day and went to claim a place at Dunmanifestin? Or were the Bast and the Sessifet that manifested in Pyromids different entities than the "proper" gods? Or were the "proper" Bast and Sessifet taken from Dunmanifestin and forced to manifest at Djelibeybi?

Also, Sessifet is described as a "naked blue goddess" in several wikis, but in the books the only naked blue goddess is Nept...is that an errata that has been copypasted again and again, or am I missing some reference? Is she described as a "naked blue goddess" in the Discworld Noir Video Game?

Hi.
I think your first guess seems more likely: that Bast and Sessifet survived and went to claim their place. Djelibeybi had been in a sort of time-loop (time peninsula?) so their gods hadn't made it into the more usual Disc reality; possibly they were on the edges of the kingdom the same way the Sphinx was. Once the time-loop was broken loose, the living part of Dejlibeybi was in the normal Disc timeline. I think that enough of the people still believed in some of the gods to let them stay on, and they found their way to Dunmanifestin after that. Some may have melded - I think it's possible that the crocodile headed god of the Djel might have melded with Offler.

I don't do the games so I don't know about Sessifet. However, it seems reasonable for a goddess of the afternoon in Djelibeybi to be blue.

=Tamar
=Tamar

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 pm

There's a couple of blue goddessses in TLH depicted either side of the double spread. That might be them! I'll check.
Yes, Sessifet's on the far left, and Patina on the far right is also blue. Bast is a biped tabby cat.

In the art, Sessifet is indeed all naked, with bare breasts and hips under the table, no hair than other on her head. She wears a golden tiara and necklace, and that's about it.
Slantaholic

Postby Ceno » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 am

Thank you for your answers.
Ceno

Postby nfelton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a little advice and guidance. I am new to Terry Pratchett and have recently read his 'Pyramids' novel. I now need to write a 2000 word essay highlighting what myths are presented, alluded to or appear within the novel. I can clearly see the theme of religion and stagnation of Ancient Egypt, but was wandering if any of you guys could elaborate the idea behind the novel? Your help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :)
nfelton

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:37 pm

One springs to mind long time since I've read it, but in history what normally happened to the third or later sons of Kings and nobility they were murdered, left stranded or left to make there own way in the world,that was why he was sent to the assassin's guild.

Oh! and welcome to the forum. :) pop over to the Broken Drum and introduce yourself and I'm sure you will get a lot more information.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome to the site! Reading through this thread may help to give you some ideas, if you haven't done so already. In the Discworld the idea is that gods do not create people - people create gods through the power of belief. Some of the ideas put forward in religions would, if they actually physically happened, be nonsense. For example, the idea of a huge dung beetle pushing the sun across the sky. There are actually a lot of ideas in there. One of the most powerful (to me) being the idea of living infinitely and doomed to make the same mistakes over and over again. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Hm, the Annotated Pratchett File on L-Space may help in some respects:

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/pyramids.html

It is not only about symbols in this book and some still may be missed (and furthermore it has been composed by fans so there may be no warrant that everything there also was intended). But I think you can pick up the one or another reference concerning your question(s).

And of course, as Tony mentioned, reading this thread also will show you a lot.

Ah, yep, and welcome to the forum, nfelton!
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby nfelton » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for replying.
You were right, I have read through ALL the feeds now and picked up some interesting points.
I am still struggling to identify particular myths? Do you see any yourselves?

P.S What or where is the 'Broken Drum' section. I do apologise but I am new to forums :)
nfelton

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 pm

The Broken Drum is the general chat section of this site. It can be found HERE.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Tonyblack wrote: In the Discworld the idea is that gods do not create people - people create gods through the power of belief.

In Small Gods, it's more that the gods exist as tiny sparks with potential, and then belief gives them strength. Once they get up to strength they can hang around quite a while, but they still need belief.
=Tamar

Previous

Return to Discworld novels