Unseen Academicals - Revelation!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Draywoman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:10 pm

A belated welcome from me too, Herron and glad you like the tag. No credit to me, all praise to the Master:)
Habeus testiculares, habeus cardium et cerebellum
Draywoman

Postby Perebis Sedate » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 am

Hi to you all,

Thank you for opening my eyes to another aspect of Unseen Academicals. I had seen it as commentary on class stereotyping, and very much as a prequel, but the gender issues passed me by. Ach y fi!
Gently Push Over The Forces Of Repression
Perebis Sedate

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:11 am

It's definitely a book that requires more than one reading. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Generally speaking, if a dwarf says they're female they probably are but with the whole parody of the fashion industry it's possible Sharn is merely fabulous. We can never know his/her until he/she bares all.
One Man Bucket

Postby high eight » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Herron451 wrote:Hi all. Long time reader of the books but new to your forum here. (long time listener, first time caller)
I agree about the professor, and acknowledge that Pepe is both human (dwarf by adoption sort of thing) and a right bastard, but I am almost as confused about his sexual identity as I was about my own once upon a time. Is he bi, gay, or straight, simply acting a part for the purpose of sales?

My own feeling is that Pepe plays the part of a flamboyant effeminate gay because that is what is expected of him as a fashionista. Underneath the surface, Pepe is a hard embittered working class lad made good with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. And still gay.

But that's just my opinion. :?
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:14 am

You know I have read this book 3 times and listen to it about 6 times and I knew that Pepe was in love with Madame, but I never thought in a million years that they were both gay until I read this thread.

I had an idea that Pepe was gay or maybe Bi since you don't know what sex dwarfs were and Pepe could like that bisexual bend to it. And I wondered why if Madame was straight why was she interested in Bendigo. Now knowing about the 'Bugger and sod' it makes sense. I guess being a Yank (no pun intended) I missed out on that.

Now the book makes more sense and I might need to read it again soon.

The only thing that confuses me is when Madame is telling Glenda about being a female as a King, but being a Queen then he/she is king. But that makes sense. Being an old 'Queen'! OH! an A-HA moment! An Old QUEEN!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is why I love Terry. All the little hidden gems and Jewels ( :wink:) you can find after many readings and picking aparts!
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby dennykay » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:16 am

Exp. Date, the rat wrote:You know I have read this book 3 times and listen to it about 6 times and I knew that Pepe was in love with Madame, but I never thought in a million years that they were both gay until I read this thread.

I had an idea that Pepe was gay or maybe Bi since you don't know what sex dwarfs were and Pepe could like that bisexual bend to it. And I wondered why if Madame was straight why was she interested in Bendigo. Now knowing about the 'Bugger and sod' it makes sense. I guess being a Yank (no pun intended) I missed out on that.

Now the book makes more sense and I might need to read it again soon.

The only thing that confuses me is when Madame is telling Glenda about being a female as a King, but being a Queen then he/she is king. But that makes sense. Being an old 'Queen'! OH! an A-HA moment! An Old QUEEN!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is why I love Terry. All the little hidden gems and Jewels ( :wink:) you can find after many readings and picking aparts!

that, in a nutshell.

now i'm only waiting for a discussion about the agony aunts' sex, somehow they always read male to me.
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby meerkat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:23 am

ooh no! I knew ladies in Walthamstow like that! They were the ones who threw yobs out of the pubs or sorted out difficult husbands. Seriously!
you did not mess with those Ladies. Usually single and from a large family.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25 am

dennykay wrote:now i'm only waiting for a discussion about the agony aunts' sex, somehow they always read male to me.

:?: :?: :shock:

Dotsie and Sadie are definitely female :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 am

Most definitely female :evil:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby dennykay » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 am

maybe it's just that exalted mode of speech they have, like 'ooh, indeed kind lady' and so on. i never heard that before, and somehow, it sounded a bit like a female impersonator i know. but, thanks to meerkat, i stand corrected :))
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 pm

dennykay wrote:maybe it's just that exalted mode of speech they have, like 'ooh, indeed kind lady' and so on. i never heard that before, and somehow, it sounded a bit like a female impersonator i know. but, thanks to meerkat, i stand corrected :))

You need to watch more Miss Marple and 'Arsen und Spitzenhäubchen' (Arsenic and Old lace, what was the original title again?)
LilMaibe

Postby dennykay » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:33 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
dennykay wrote:maybe it's just that exalted mode of speech they have, like 'ooh, indeed kind lady' and so on. i never heard that before, and somehow, it sounded a bit like a female impersonator i know. but, thanks to meerkat, i stand corrected :))

You need to watch more Miss Marple and 'Arsen und Spitzenhäubchen' (Arsenic and Old lace, what was the original title again?)

i think it was arsenic and old lace. and yeah, i need to see them in english.

on madame sharn and pepe: i'm right now re-reading UA and didn't think that madame sharn was a 'he' (apart from being a dwarf of course). i just saw those two as an odd couple, a loving one. and maybe pepe is just a pumilio-phile , which doesn't seem to happen very often, even in ankh-morpork. come to think of it, are there any human-dwarf pairs on the disc apart from sharn/pepe and, technically, angua/carrot?
I DETECT...MALIGNITY.
dennykay

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 pm

I suppose there's all the women who fall foul of Casununda's charms but seeing as he acts and dresses like a somewhat refined human gentleman it's not quite the same
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby Cool Middle Name » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Penfold wrote:Makes me wonder whether Rhys, Low King of the Dwarfs is actually Rhys, Low Queen of the Dwarfs? :?

You mean, like the Dragon King of Ankh Morpork was infact the Dragon Queen of Ankh Morpork?
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels