Unseen Academicals - Revelation!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 am

LilMaibe wrote:I'm just a bit puzzled why it had to be those two. I know it was likely an accident, but it's a bit weird :/

Which two should it have been then? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Do you mean that you still think these two fit these so-called stereotypes? I think that everyone else is disagreeing with you. Are you trying to make the characters fit into the stereotypes?

Anyway, I've never heard of these stereotypes. I would say that a more typical stereotype is that gay men are effeminate. And neither Bengo or Pepe are that.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:08 pm

I feel bad for saying that now :( sorry
LilMaibe

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 pm

No-one's mad at you! If I was I would have used this :evil:

The people who made the documentary fed you a load of crap.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby meerkat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Keep an open mind, Meeps. Not every one fits a stereo type. and the best way to think is: It's takes a lot of differences to make the world go round!

I'm not mad at you at all. So DON'T feel bad or Meerkat Will be cross! :lol: :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:15 pm

The only 'normal' is a washing machine cycle :wink:

As for married men - my best gay friend has had so many 'affairs' with married men he's lost count. Luckily (well actually I wouldn't care in the slightest) he doesn't fancy the housemate at all so that's a) laid to rest. It's just like being straight, one girls Brad Pitt is another's Quasimodo - you don't fancy everyone just because they're the right gender for your tastes. We're actually Dave's best friends so far as going on 'normal' holidays are concerned, because he feels 'safe' in that any other supposedly 'straight' blokes 'giving him the eye', and I can confirm they really do, assume he's with Pete and I'm their 'cover'. :P

I tell you I'd far rather go shopping or on a girlie night out with Dave than most women friends as there's more laughs and any bitching is all mutual! :wink:

A normal man who has sex with a gay one is bi-sexual or not 'out' even to himself. Old gay joke - 'What's the difference between a straight bloke and a bi-sexual? In my experience darling about 9 pints of beer.' (classify beer as lager if it helps any outraged heteros reading this :roll: ) and a pronouncement on married men who consider themselves straight but regularly sleep with blokes...

Tom Farrell - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme wrote:You're so far back in the closet you're in f*cking Narnia!

... if they become impotent as a result it's their own sense of shame at being 'weak' and inability to cope with the knowledge that they're, in their own eyes, freaks or morally decadent that makes them violent and usually that's directed at themselves and not at other people. In fact I'd go so far as to say that documentary is a textbook example of why people get so screwed up over their sexual identities and inclinations because they're made to feel they're dirty and irredeemably warped at the stigma assigned by such stupid and inhumane attitudes. :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 am

To explain (it is gnawing on me) I was confused as these fearmongering-things i heard in the documentary reminded me of the two :/ My fault I guess
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 am

Meeps, it is NOT your fault. That item you saw or read caused you uneccesary puzzlement. Forget it and move on or it will bug you for ages. :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby woshiniyeye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:44 am

SPAM SPAM SPAM
woshiniyeye

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:46 am

Okay, this is a new one... Legimate info concerning the topic but as far as I see it illegal stuff in the sig.

/confused
LilMaibe

Postby pip » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 am

They siad in another thread they like Twilight so they can't be real :wink: :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am

Tonyblack wrote:By the way - Dave Hayden is a member of the Cunning Artificer's site and is who Prof. Hayden is based on. He does indeed give talks on snakes and lizards.

This spammer is just quoting other posts. Pay no attention.
Dotsie

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 am

Dotsie wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:By the way - Dave Hayden is a member of the Cunning Artificer's site and is who Prof. Hayden is based on. He does indeed give talks on snakes and lizards.

This spammer is just quoting other posts. Pay no attention.

oh, missed that. Geese, that's a new low for spambots....

On the bright side... I tihnk whoever programmed the bot is weeping in a corner somewhere now if they noticed there bot made it look as if they are liking twilight.
LilMaibe

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:42 am

:lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby LilMaibe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Okay, I have to annoy some of you again, other's might plain wonder why the heck I have too much time on my hands:

There's a bit about half way through the book (page 204 or so, corgi edition) that goes something like
'And thus, after a lot of bickering, UU's first match of football in decades began'

I know it's basically just 'training' but I can't help but wonder:

The Bequest just states they have to enter a team into the game, aka, play a match.
It never states it won't be ok to play faculty vs students.

Wouldn't it just have been enough to get someone from the guild of lawyers, watch their attempts and give the Okay that that counted for the next 20 years?

I mean if a game of not even 45 minutes following a set of rules (very likely) different from those active when the bequest was made, which is in its end not even played with something that by all good geometrical will COULD be called a ball, a match faculty vs students on the UU's campus should count too, shouldn't it?
LilMaibe

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels