THE GREAT TRANS-ATLANTIC HUMOUR BATTLE OF 2010!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 pm

poohcarrot wrote::? At the moment Dotsie, we just ain't on the same wavelength.

Jeffinboston wrote:I am so glad I never started with any of the Rincewind books, Pyramids or Small Gods, since I never would have finished any of them and would never have picked up another.

I wouldn't recommend any of the early or "one-off" books (other than Thief of Time) to a DW newbie. They're just not that compelling or interesting.


And I don't see the word "slapstick" in there anywhere. And that's the word that you seem to have a problem with.

If you check out the "Least favourite discworld book" thread, you'll see that Pyramids gets named by three forum members, two of them resident in the UK, and one in the US. So what does that mean? That Americans like the book more than the British of course :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:52 pm

:roll: Let's get this slapstick issue put to bed here and now and leave the Nightwatch v Pyramids grudge debate that appears to be building up in this forum for other threads where they're being given more intensive and civilised consideration :P

Here's what pooh means about the passionate exchange that's prompted him to create this funfest... :D

poohcarrot wrote:
swreader wrote:Pooh, I get the impression that the books you like have lots of semi-slapstick comedy bits - and that's why you like them (though I may be totally wrong about this)


SW I get the impression that you DON'T like Pyramids (though I may be totally wrong about this), because you think the humour is semi-slapstick. I think you are dead wrong about the humour classification, and it is exactly that kind of assumption that makes TP books not big sellers in the US as opposed to in the UK. :P

That's considered opinion from 2 eloquent and committed Pterry fans expressed in their personal idiosyncratic styles, so let's leave that particular duel to pan out when Pyramids gets it's own thread in the sun and clear the decks for the purpose this thread was created for...? :wink:

THE GREAT TRANS-ATLANTIC HUMOUR BATTLE OF 2010 :twisted:
Ground Rules
1. NO Pterry comparative arguments on international sales figures or the books themselves
especially between Nightwatch and Pyramids - they have another pre-booked and separate floor(s) to be canvassed.
We're all Pterry fans here so it's really pointless using Discworld humour to score points - most of us have lots of favourites and not so many 'not keens' and so this has nothing to do with nationality and/or ethnicity and proves nothing because we're ALL biased in this respect :wink:

2. make your points as you wish but if you want to include clips, try to use ones that illustrate that and aren't just appealing to the audience's funny bones for cheap laughs - have them for a reason.

3. in the same way if you want to illustrate why the other faction doesn't understand, do so for the purpose of supporting your argument not to start cream pie fights :P

Everyone happy with that? 8)

OK - I took my side already, because I do think there is a difference between Old and New World humour, but it's not a blanket one except in the very broadest sense of media demographics that takes no true account of individual preferences except on a bums on seats basis. Nobody on this forum is that classifiable, so it's taken as read that we are all talking in general terms and won't make any cheap shots against the French or indeed the Germans, even though everyone knows they have no sense of humour whatsoever... :shock: :oops: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:54 pm

SWreader wrote:Pooh, you silly boy--of course you understood every word. Though I can expect that you'll find something to disagree with me about. That's what makes these (book discussions) fun.


Couldn't agree with you more SW. :lol:
I agree that we should agree on agreeing to disagree.

(Don't understand what everybody else's getting all het up about :? )
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:22 am

That's a rather old and hoary quote isn't it? I do remember it though so I expect that says more about me than you and Sharlene (I just get so jealous when you row with other women) :twisted:

It's certainly fun to disagree - oooo yeah! :twisted:
Hit me!
UK - 1 USA - 0

Ding ding! Next up please :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Wjy does there have to be a war? I love them both!

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
User avatar
Vena Ravenhaired
Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:38 am

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:10 pm

(It's not a real war. :lol: Most people seem to be missing the word "humour" in the title)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Zeno of Elea

An ancient Greek philosopher

Zeno's Achilles and the tortoise paradox

“ In a race, the quickest runner can never overtake the slowest, since the pursuer must first reach the point whence the pursued started, so that the slower must always hold a lead. ”
—Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b15


In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 metres. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 metres, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 metres. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of points Achilles must reach where the tortoise has already been, he can never overtake the tortoise. Of course, simple experience tells us that Achilles will be able to overtake the tortoise, which is why this is a paradox

Pyramids "X"eno

The same paradox but using an arrow and succesfully creating a load of tortoise kebabs. :lol:

Slapstick

"The type of humour that is based on simple actions eg; people hitting each other, falling down etc"

Erudite

"Having or showing great knowledge that is gained from academic study."
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby raisindot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

poohcarrot wrote::? At the moment Dotsie, we just ain't on the same wavelength.

Jeffinboston wrote:I am so glad I never started with any of the Rincewind books, Pyramids or Small Gods, since I never would have finished any of them and would never have picked up another.
[/b]


Now, dear sir, you condemn all of us Yanks as PTerry-dislikers just because I alone found Pyramids to be tedious, unfunny, and hovering at the very bottom of the DW pantheon? Whilst proud that you chose me to represent the philisitinic (philistinian? philinic?) tastes of the American public, I suggest that perhaps, sir, you may wish to refrain from making such blanket generalizations of Americans until at least TWO of us weigh in on it. If one other Yank says they like the book, then feel free to conclude that, "50% of all American DW readers LIKED "Pyramids." Half of us shall sleep easier knowing that we have your approval on this score at least.
:roll:

For the record, as a lifelong Anglophilic TV watcher since Python was first unleashed upon our shores in the mid 1970s, I have seen every single one of the clips of the shows you posted, and liked all of them. Plus "Python," "Reginald Perrin," "Yes Minister," "Red Dwarf," etc. Even "Blackadder." (Yanks who have only been exposed to Hugh Laurie through his marvelous 'serious' work in 'House' are totally missing his amazing comedic side.) I hope I score a few points on your taste meter for despising "Benny Hill" and all those tedious Brit comedies featuring old grumpy retired people.

Even with all that anglo-exposure, I still dislike "Pyramids" immensely. As we say on this side of the pond, YMMV. But I do look forward to seeing the case you make for it. :)

Jeff in Boston
raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:50 pm

raisindot wrote:Whilst proud that you chose me to represent the philisitinic (philistinian? philinic?) tastes of the American public, I suggest that perhaps, sir, you may wish to refrain from making such blanket generalizations of Americans until at least TWO of us weigh in on it.


I agree with you 100% Jeffinboston. However the current score is two Americans don't like Pyramids. So I calculate that as.......still 100%! :lol:

As more Americans join the discussion, I will gladly alter the figure accordingly. :P

Just because you have all the vids of British humour doesn't mean you understand them all. I've got a video player but haven't got the faintest idea how it works, sir. :lol:

(I hope nobody takes any of this toot-talking personally, because it's only typical British humour - but I'm sure you already know that :lol: )
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm

What does YMMV mean? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm

poohcarrot wrote:What does YMMV mean? :?
Your Milage May Vary. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28684
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:52 pm

< But I do look forward to seeing the case you make for it. >

If pooh can't make a case will it be Ok if he shows you a carrier bag. :wink: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14539
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm

HEY, I Love Pyramids. I really, really do. Seeing the growing up in the desert with a crazy da, then his real growing up in A-M in the guild is Marvelous. When he "inherits" it gets even better. The Worlds Greatest Mathematician, Ptraci being his sister, it is hilarious. I loved the part where all the mummies came back and had to be translated by intermediately aged ones. Death's reaction when they all show up and he gives up and says "ok, then at least form an orderly queue". And at the end, Dios comes out of the river with an agenda. Whats not to love?

MONTY PYTHON Rocks! I adore every episode, interview and bit of it. Eric Idle should not be an author, but I think he proved that well. THEY, however were and still are Fantastic! 8)

Now, Benny Hill falls in with The Three Stooges as far as I am concerned. It takes no intelligence whatsoever to understand Fart and Booby humour.
Last edited by Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby raisindot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:13 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Just because you have all the vids of British humour doesn't mean you understand them all. I've got a video player but haven't got the faintest idea how it works, sir. :lol:


Dear sir, I would be very happy to help get your video player working for you. I have always wanted to visit Japan. I await the ticket with the greatest anticipation.

To the comment, however, by all means I wouldn't even dream of being able to understand all or even a significant portion of British humor. To this day I still haven't figured out why "Are You Being Served" lasted more than five episodes. :lol:

On a side note, many years ago, there was a program on public TV featuring debates between Yanks and Brits at either Oxford or Cambridge (being a Yank, they're all the same to me). One of these programs posited the topic: "British humor is funnier than American humor."

It was totally unfair. The Brits had an extremely droll person who had the looks of a young Hugh Grant and the wit of Oscar Wilde representing their side, while the U.S. was represented by (shudder!!!!) Steve Allen and (SHUDDER!!!!) Alan King. It wasn't even close. The best line came from the British guy, when King did some awful shtick about hosting an event to bestow upon the Brits the designation of "honorary Jews." To which the Brit replied, without missing a beat, "I hope you will allow me to skip the ribbon cutting ceremony."

Now THAT'S humor.

Jeff in Boston
raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Hells Bells, if he is handing out tickets to Japan, I am going... I, sir, am a Master Robotics and Robotics Systems Programmer, Debugger, and probably have a better rack than you do. I am quite sure I could figure out a VCR. 8) 8)
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron