Discworld water cycle

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld water cycle

Postby steveplater » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 pm

New Scientist magazine 31 October 2009 has a feature (p.31) on Sir Terry and PCA. A reader's question asks how Discworld can conserve water, when it continually falls over the Rim. Terry's reply is simply that "arrangements are made". I'd like to suggest a possible mechanism.
Could it be that the breath of Great A'Tuin and the four elephants is strong enough to drive the Rimfall water back up in a gentle arc, to fall back as rain upon the Disc?
This opens another question, of where the gas for the breath comes from.... But who says it has to be air? Interstellar gas should suffice.
steveplater

Postby chris.ph » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:52 pm

how about that the elephants suck the rimfall up in their trunks and squirt it back up to fall as rain :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Welcome to the site Steve! :D

Well it's obviously magic that causes the water to be conserved. :wink:

I wonder what would happen to water that went into space - presumably it would immediately freeze - wouldn't it?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 pm

WElcome tot the forum Steve :D
On lofty Beysitoun the lingering sun looks down on ceaseless labors, long begun.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Steve. 8)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 pm

chris.ph wrote:how about that the elephants suck the rimfall up in their trunks and squirt it back up to fall as rain :)

Coo! Is this deja vu?

Welcome, Steve.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Deja Fu - one of the worst of the Martial History arts ... most painful!

Welcome Steve ... and I cannot offer a theory as to the DW water cycle as I am confused enough by the RW one.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby kakaze » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:23 am

I have a theory.

My theory is that the Disc, the elephants, and the turtle, are all surrounded by air, thus allowing everything to breathe. This would also allow the water that falls off the Disc to remain gaseous/misty, since it would be warmed by the daily passage of the sun.

Below are how I envision the orbits of the Disc's sun and moon:

The yellow and brown orbits are possible orbits I imagined the sun taking. I've put these further out because the sun burns the outside of the moon black.

The red and blue orbits are possible orbits that I imagined for the moon. I seem to remember reading that the elephants have to occationally cock a leg to let the moon go by.

Note: I think it makes more sense if both the sun & the moon orbit the Disc AND the turtle, but that the moon, or both the moon and sun, rotate around the Disc as they orbit it, so that once or twice a month the sun & moon are lined up, so the sun can burn the back of the moon, and as the moon moves around the Disc, it would appear to be waxing & waning.

Anyway, my theory is that the orbiting sun keeps the cold-blooded turtle warm, and the water that falls off the Disc gaseous. Then, the gravitational fields of the sun & moon, along with the action of the turtle's flippers, circulate the water vapor around the Disc, where it cools down and condenses into rain and snow.
kakaze

Postby mspanners » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:41 am

I think that the Magical Field extends out to a Distance of maybe Half a Million Miles around the Turtle and the Water is lost as it vanishes at the edge of this Field.

However as it vanishes the Quantum Potential of the water is released back into the System and Fresh water is Generated for the Quantum Flux and materialises on the Disc.

In the Book The Last Hero it was pointed out that if the Magic Field was disrupted by the explosion the Seas would rapidly Dry up, so Magic is defiantly involved........... :shock:
mspanners

Postby Kladivo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:03 pm

It is very simple indeed. As it happens the Discworld is moving through an 8 bit Universe which is like scaled down, oldskul version of ours (running in 64 bit mode) and therefore all the water that disappears at the bottom of the screen automagically falls down from the upper edge. The phenomenon is called '8bit asteroiduum atariensi' and has even been observed on Earth by the means of computer emulation.
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:05 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... alive.html

This is the interview from New Scientist.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 am

Kladivo wrote:It is very simple indeed. As it happens the Discworld is moving through an 8 bit Universe which is like scaled down, oldskul version of ours (running in 64 bit mode) and therefore all the water that disappears at the bottom of the screen automagically falls down from the upper edge. The phenomenon is called '8bit asteroiduum atariensi' and has even been observed on Earth by the means of computer emulation.
:shock:

Image :thinking :thinking...
Well, it looks like magic to me!! :D
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Kladivo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Yes, but it's a very scientific magic!
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:36 pm

When the Turtle who does not have to be named takes a leak, the cosmic winds whip it upwards into the atmosphere above which then desends on the disc ie hence the expression pissed upon from a great height. :lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Kladivo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:44 pm

For the first time in my life someone actually made me consider buying an umbrella...
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Next

Return to Discworld novels