Men at Arms: the gonne ?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Men at Arms: the gonne ?

Postby mattgn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:17 am

Hello I am new to the discworld novel's and audiobooks but I have a question . In Men at Arms the gonne Is a six shot weapon with a mind of It's own. But what does It look like are there any pictures of It? I would like try and make a replica of It by using pictures and going from there . thank you
mattgn

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:53 am

Hi mattgn and welcome to the site! :D

There are a couple of illustrations of it on various covers.

If you have the Josh Kirby cover of the UK book, look on the back and you'll see someone holding it. This is the best picture I could come up with.

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mattgn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:03 am

thank you but can someone post a scan of the uk cover front and back ? If that Is possible ?
mattgn

Postby kakaze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 am

Well, there's this one:

http://www.lspace.org/ftp/images/bookco ... arms-2.jpg

but I think it's one of the American covers. I can't find any other full images.
kakaze

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:40 am

I've never seen that US cover before. That certainly redefines the whole concept of the word "pants!". It's awful! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:09 am

What on earth?! What is Cuddy trying to do with Angua? And is Detritus threatening to shoot Carrot?

I have to scrub that picture from my retinas :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Danny B » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 am

kakaze wrote:Well, there's this one:

but I think it's one of the American covers. I can't find any other full images.

Why is Errol on that cover? I thought he flew off into the sunset in G!G!. I initially thought it might be the dragon used as a bomb on the Assasins Guild, but since IIRC (and I might not, it's been a couple of years since I read it last) the Watch never actually had possession of that dragon in a live state, it couldn't be.:? On a sidenote... Why is Errol being petted by Danny Bonaduce? :shock:
Danny B

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 am

That cover :shock: The horror... the horror...
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am

Dwarwolf ... :lol: !

Although that cover is pretty awful I have to admit that I am not a fan of the Josh Kirby artwork either - I prefer Paul Kidby as I find his style more to my taste and more how the characters appear in my mind.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi mattgn, if you go to Amazon UK site and look for M.A. you can view front, back and inside covers as well as zoom them. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kakaze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Dotsie wrote:What on earth?! What is Cuddy trying to do with Angua? And is Detritus threatening to shoot Carrot?

It looks like Cuddy is threatening Angua with his axe, but I think he's just ready to behead the dragon if it looks like it's going to hic-up.

Detrius isn't threatening to shoot Carrot, he's retraining Cuddy by holding his leather cape.

Danny B wrote:Why is Errol on that cover? I thought he flew off into the sunset in G!G!. I initially thought it might be the dragon used as a bomb on the Assasins Guild, but since IIRC (and I might not, it's been a couple of years since I read it last) the Watch never actually had possession of that dragon in a live state, it couldn't be.

You're right, they never had the "bomb" dragon (I can't remember his name at the moment), so it must be Erol.

Did anyone notice the tag on the box? It says "Have a Blast!" :P

Also, what do you think of Gaspode? What a cute little doggie!
kakaze

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:19 pm

*is utterly speechless and appalled about Vimes - he's bloody Elliot Ness ? :shock: ? :evil: ? *

But Gaspode never goes in the Watch house does he? Unless it's supposed to be the Patrician's office in which case it could be Wuffles (except he's not in it) and it's not Elliott Ness... :shock: - Perry Mason as Vetinari *faints in horror* :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Oh this is a fun thread... Chubby was the dragon what blew himself up, I think... Pants, Pants Pants, lol I shall make that one into the dictionary if only by sheer volume of usage.

Wow the Kirby cover is insane.

going to bed and try not to be hungry, I may have to kill my husband tonight tho, I am sure he will be "making food" and well, it will probably send me right over the edge... where's a good knockout drug when ya need one. Just send me to oblivion for the next 5 hours until Magnesium Citrate time and well, hell, shoot me up with demerol so I don't care about what will occur.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:*is utterly speechless and appalled about Vimes - he's bloody Elliot Ness ? :shock: ? :evil: ? *

But Gaspode never goes in the Watch house does he? Unless it's supposed to be the Patrician's office in which case it could be Wuffles (except he's not in it) and it's not Elliott Ness... :shock: - Perry Mason as Vetinari *faints in horror* :lol:

Gaspode is in Night Watch... he is an exceptionally long lived dog apparently, and Yes he does go into the old watch house. :prickle prickle prickle: *There, there Jan, have a chocolate and it will all be better*

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Danny B wrote:
kakaze wrote:Well, there's this one:

Why is Errol on that cover? I thought he flew off into the sunset in G!G!. I initially thought it might be the dragon used as a bomb on the Assasins Guild, but since IIRC (and I might not, it's been a couple of years since I read it last) the Watch never actually had possession of that dragon in a live state, it couldn't be.:? On a sidenote... Why is Errol being petted by Danny Bonaduce? :shock:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! no idea.

Next

Return to Discworld novels