Dodger's guide to London

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Dodger's guide to London

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:56 pm

I had a look at it and decided not to buy it, I found it to be just like a almanac or enhanced yellow pages. :|
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Dodger's guide to London

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:39 am

It is very much in the style of Bernards' Almanac, it's not for reading in one go just for dropping in and out of for short sections.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:28 pm

I have the Almanac, that's one of the reasons I gave it a miss too similar in style but not as interesting. :|
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby meerkat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I had a look at it and decided not to buy it, I found it to be just like a almanac or enhanced yellow pages. :|

Saw it yesterday, not one of the best. I won't be buying it to add to my ever increasing collection. :hand:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't think dodger is good enough, or long enough, to bother getting the merchandise. If it was discworldian i'd buy it. I love the discworld almanac and think there should be others, then again I suppose the diaries (though I don't own any) are a type of almanac? if the century (or year) of the fruitbat is over, what animal symbolises the current?
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby pip » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:10 pm

The diarys do have a lot of info packed into them and are an interesting addition to the DW books. Liked Dodger but don't feel the pull to buy the guide at all.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 pm

It was not on my to buy list either pip. :|
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Molokov » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:04 pm

So I finally got around to finishing this the other night.

It's not bad, but certainly not essential for a Pratchett fan. The book has lots of tidbits about life in Victorian London, but not being all that familiar with modern-day London, I suspect many of the place references were lost on me.

The biggest issue is that it's very light on the humour - I think I may have giggled 2 or 3 times in the entire book - and that's mostly what disappointed me. The spinoff material not written by Terry needs to still be funny whilst enriching the worlds of his books. The World of Poo succeeded well there, because Geoffrey's story was amusing and it explored a side of Ankh-Morpork we don't often see. This book explores Dodger's London with some interesting facts, but little in the way of jokes.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Return to Latest books