Raising Steam *Warning Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Raising Steam *Warning Spoilers*

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm

I must say that I was pleased that the questions I had about golem horses were answered - after a fashion. It seemed to me that, because golem horse were horse shaped they were treated as domestic beasts rather than the man-shaped golems, who were treated more as people. Of course there was no reason that a golem horse couldn't talk as well as a normal shaped golem. And there's no reason that I can see why a human shaped golem wouldn't be just as fast as a golem horse. I was a little disappointed that Moist seemed to think that he had to tell it to behave like a horse. It's not a horse - it's just horse shaped.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Neigh Lad, get thee to t'other side of room I tell ee. ;) :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Hungryjoe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Is it just me or did he try to get a character from every book into this story. Some of them are quite minor, like the camel philosophers from pyramids, Charlie from the Truth, Queen kali from Mort...but I think he may have got them all
Hungryjoe

Postby pip » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:35 am

Getting that feeling myself to be honest .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:41 am

Quite a smorgasbord of characters but I liked it, do you think it may be the Swansong for Discworld as we know it. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:54 am

I'm half way through but I'm starting to get that feeling. So many characters have been mentioned or appeared it could be for a reason
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Just Feegled this from Steeljam on the Cunning one's site, an excellent review by Ben Aaronovitch who is going to be a GOH AT DWCon. :mrgreen:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/n ... ett-review
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:07 pm

I went into Waterston's today just to have a look, and saw there was a slipcase copy of Raising Steam it was sealed had a look at the bookmark in their standard edition, then went to the desk with it, has this got the bookmark inside young guy said yes but I had to tell him where the price was so I bought it opened it there no bookmark!! them Mr. important came around doubled checked went away (while the young kid looked inside the case) and came back with one. I just hope that whoever gets a standard copy checks as he took one from the other books.
Glad I checked in the shop or I would have left with a refund, I had no intention of buying one. :roll: :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Raising Steam

Postby Slantaholic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I found it slightly disgusting, and couldn't finish it in one sitting.

The pink mists of exploding people and that skull (UK hardback page 191) *shudders*. The last time I encountered a high-up placed skull like that, the author had broken out mad, mad purple prose, rather like Terry Pratchett had in Snuff and ISWM. I don't know what history books Terry's been reading lately, but they scan for mad before they publish these days. Methinks, he copied over something... dreadful. But largely, it was about a human skull being boiled clean in a second and sky-rocketed to the rafters that did it.

I liked the golem horse, which talks just as well as biped golems. I liked the troll lawyer, except, er, he was white in imagery and sparkling. I picture all the trolls mostly as grey, black and brick-orange. Sparkling white/diamond ones, especially when they've dropped all the "da, dat" from their language, come across to me as specie-racist. It was nice he was a former engine to Mr Pratchett. Thomas the Tank Engine, anyone?

Also - Drumknott's the wrong introvert personality. He's moved to a machine-lover, not a paperwork/spy device lover, which I hoped he was previously. I half-wanted the new Drumknott to run away from an increasingly murdering Vetinari and become an engine-builder, rather like Moist von Lipwig; they were both together on Iron Girder at the start. Vetinari and Drumknott playing trains and wearing hats later was fun, but I'm worried. Lots of characters appear out of character.
Last edited by Slantaholic on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slantaholic

Postby pip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Finished it and I quite enjoyed it. By no means the best DW book but certainly not the worse.
He did try to squeeze a lot of DW characters and references in all over the place but in general I found them fun to spot.
Story was generally Ok and Moist is undergoing a nice mid life crisis.
Can't see the criticism from people saying Terry didn't write it because it is very similar to all the later books . I'll agree that it differs a lot from the early to mid DW books but Terry's style evolved a lot throughout the series which is why he's interesting to read.
The book is not without issue. Some parts did drag a little and the prose got a little flowery from time to time but these didn't ruin the book for me.
I can see some hardcore longtime readers will cry that its not like the early books but they should take the main point from the story - Move with the times and grow the hell up.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Also reading amazon reviews I've come to the conclusion that people are looking for the Alzheimers in his writing and are waiting for it to be rubbish
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:26 pm

pip wrote:Also reading amazon reviews I've come to the conclusion that people are looking for the Alzheimers in his writing and are waiting for it to be rubbish

Yep, me too. It annoys the hell out of me. :hand:
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Actually quite liked what Moist has become in this book. He's a much more interesting character than in making money were he pretty much was the same as Going Postal.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:06 pm

I enjoyed it as well and found the first hundred pages or so reminiscent of his earlier works (that may be to do with the amount of footnotes and references to old characters and places, of course). I did think some of his satirical messages to be unusually heavy-handed though, in a 'hits you in the face and batters it over your head' type of way, rather than with the usual subtlety that I associate with his work. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:16 pm

The Fat Controller reference made me laugh out loud. :lol:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books