NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT...

Postby Alanz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Didn't you enjoy Dodger raisendot :?: , I think the new book would be good set in the Victorian era, But saying that a follow on from Going Postal would be good, i'm sure that whatever it is it will be as usual a good read :pray: :D
Alanz

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

The Moist books are in the 'Victorian' era (or should that be Vetinarian? :P ) - both GP & Making Money certainly have shades of entrepreneur capitalists in stovepipe hats that'd suit an industrial revolution on the scale of the railroads.

I agree with Jeff on the style of novel though - we've had enough of Dickens does Discworld now :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Alanz wrote:Didn't you enjoy Dodger raisendot :?:

No, I disliked Dodger a lot. Won't bore you with the details here--you can find my 'minority' review in the Dodger thread.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Yes we want to get back to the real Discworld in Ankh-Morpork, which was based on the model of ye olde London town. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Yes we want to get back to the real Discworld in Ankh-Morpork, which was based on the model of ye olde London town. :)

I always visualise the Shades as being like that final chase scene around the docks and Whitechapel with Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist (the film of the the musical with Olly Reed... :twisted: ). It's alright to look Dickensian I suppose :whistle:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 am

raisindot wrote:
Alanz wrote:Didn't you enjoy Dodger raisendot :?:

No, I disliked Dodger a lot. Won't bore you with the details here--you can find my 'minority' review in the Dodger thread.

That really suprises me raisindot :o , I would love to go back in time to the period for a day at least :D
Alanz

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

I think if TPratchett makes AM too "real" then it will lose it's "charm" so to speak, having the city based around a certain style is all well and good but he needs to be careful not to take it too far. This steampunk thing is obviously the next step for the city, TPratchett has done well on that part but it should only be done lightly in my opinion, have working steam engines and whatnot 2 books later if anything.

1 thing I notice is that people here either want moist von lipwig in new novels or not at all and then bang on about him being in the new books (or hoping he wont be) and someone mentioned adorabelle in this new steampunk novel?.... wtf is wrong with you!?.....
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby raisindot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:13 pm

simmonds91 wrote:
1 thing I notice is that people here either want moist von lipwig in new novels or not at all and then bang on about him being in the new books (or hoping he wont be) and someone mentioned adorabelle in this new steampunk novel?.... wtf is wrong with you!?.....

Maybe you should be asking yourself that same question after coming to a forum of extremely nice and civilized albeit highly opinionated Pterry and DW fans and then dissing their views and behaving rudely.
raisindot

Postby =Tamar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:55 am

raptornx01 wrote: it wouldn't be surprising to see some spectacularly trivial steam powered equipment.

I've read that in Roundworld one of the first steam-powered things was a model airplane. (I was never into that but I would love to have a steam powered one! Just because!) I suppose a steam-powered pencil sharpener might be sufficiently trivial.
=Tamar

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:41 am

I used to have a Steam powered Pencil Sharpener, but it used to make the Pencil end all soggy, I had to bin it when the Piston broke :oops: :lol:
Alanz

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm

raisindot wrote:
simmonds91 wrote:

Maybe you should be asking yourself that same question after coming to a forum of extremely nice and civilized albeit highly opinionated Pterry and DW fans and then dissing their views and behaving rudely.

I didn't realise what I said was all that rude to be honest and of course I will diss their views, it kind of mixes with not having the same opinion but I apologise if I came off as being rude, that was not my intention.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby raisindot » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Nothing wrong with dissing people's views or ideas. We do it here all the time, but we keep it focused on the opinion itself, not on the personality of intelligence of the person expressing it.

What we try not to do here is make an extreme rude value judgement about the people who express their views, especially using an acronym as provocative and over the top as what you said. What you might think is funny in your mind can come off quite differently in something as impersonal as a forum.
raisindot

Postby Alanz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 am

I may be wrong but i think it's called Free Speech :D
Alanz

Postby =Tamar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:31 pm

There's a difference between disagreeing and disparaging. I can disagree with someone's views without disparaging them.
=Tamar

Postby simmonds91 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Apparently The Long War is coming out in 3 months, I don't know about you but this is news to me, I can't wait! I've been waiting since the end of The Long Earth for this....
simmonds91

Previous

Return to Latest books