dodger

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: dodger

Postby cheery_j. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Quatermass wrote:I got the thing about Onan straight away (partly because I remembered a scene from The League of Gentlemen where Harvey Denton gives a lecture about 'onanism' to his nephew Benjamin).

"Spilling your seed" ( :roll: ) is called 'onanieren' in German. So no big surprise there... I still can't see why you would call a dog Onan - as far as I know he only spilled and didn't mate with chair legs... and people's legs ... and ... well, I guess we all know THAT kind of dog.
cheery_j.

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Maybe he (Onan the dog) was pale and sickly . . . a real wan cur . . . :whistle:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 pm

oh jeez :roll: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Alanz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm a bit behind everyone else i'm afraid, Desperately playing catchup, i'm only on my 15th "TP" book but hoping for "Dodger" for my birthday next month, might even get some others as well i've got three daughters :D
Alanz

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:41 pm

they could start their own coven alan :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby meerkat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

I like Dodger. It is cleverley written, witty and so wonderful to describe Charles Dickens as a bit of a scribbler! A Super book. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! Plus which I loved the description of Seven Dials. Ah, the Rookeries... and as for that scene with Queen Vic and Albert...excellent!

Yes, this one has the Meerkat Thumbs up! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Been in the pub just opposite it called the Crown. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Finished it last night and really enjoyed it too! There was a lot of slang in it that I was completely unfamiliar with, but thankfully the meanings were fairly obvious due to the context. Not all, but most. It was funny to discover that the word "crib" is an old slang, not a modern one. Although I think my favorite was "cove". Couldn't tell you why though.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I suspect anyone who had read Dickens would have been familiar with the slang. But I've never read Dickens, so I don't know. :D
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Mysteries published before 1950 tend to have older slang in them as well.
Reading a newsgroup inhabited by older people who grew up in the UK could also work as an introduction to older UK slang.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Words go in and out of use and even get new meanings. I remember all the ejaculating going on in H.G. Wells. :lol:

It's something that QI brought up regarding Sherlock Holmes as well.

Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 am

Apparantly, my brother was given Dodger for his birthday. He rang me last week saying, and I quote "I've finished it. You'd think it was written for Children, wouldn't you?" (coughs in an embarrased fashion at having a 62 year old brother who thinks Sir T is a waste of ink). However, he has now read a Pratchett, so at least he is starting to act like a human being again!

As for the slang. Growing up in the fifties/ sixties in London E17, we were using Cove to mean anyone who was over 15. There were certainly some dodgy Coves where I grew up!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Geezer certainly had a different meaning than it does now.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 am

From Twitter:

Pat Harkin ‏@dwauctioneer

Today is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Henry Mayhew, Victorian social reformer and founder of Punch #Dodger @terryandrob
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby =Tamar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:26 pm

meerkat wrote:Apparantly, my brother was given Dodger for his birthday. He rang me last week saying, and I quote "I've finished it. You'd think it was written for Children, wouldn't you?" (coughs in an embarrassed fashion at having a 62 year old brother who thinks Sir T is a waste of ink). However, he has now read a Pratchett, so at least he is starting to act like a human being again!

Congratulate him on his amazing perspicacity?
=Tamar

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books