A small question about Snuff (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

A small question about Snuff (SPOILERS)

Postby tmoh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:41 am

During the scene where Vimes confronts Ted Flutter with the Dark's "witness testimony," he says:
I haven't mentioned some of the other conversation between you and Mr. Stratford, because Feeney here is listening, and you should be relieved about that; gossip can be so cruel.

What, if anything, are we supposed to infer from that line? It's already been established that Stratford and Flutter are murderers, and their smuggling activity gets exposed just a few paragraphs later, so whatever gossip-inducing conversation they had out there must've been about something else... :?
tmoh

Re: A small question about Snuff (SPOILERS)

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 am

I took it to be acts of sadism. But I can't really remember the context. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:32 pm

I thought it was about rape (or about Flutter and Stratford discussing rape) of the goblin girl.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 am

Rape is possible (or talking about it). I mainly took it though as either talking about who was behind it all, or just general talking about what others there had done.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby alicenanjing » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:07 pm

I, for one, just thought that, between Flutter and Stratford, Stratford was the leader, with Flutter quite probably agreeing with everything Stratford said and trying to seem more of a hardened criminal in order to fit in and get on Stratford's good side. So he may have boasted about something or other that he didn't actually do, or about something he allegedly wanted to do, or professed some opinion that he thought would please Stratford, made nasty comments and so forth. It needn't be something that actually happened, but if Constable Upshot heard about it, it would be unpleasant for Flutter.
alicenanjing

Postby Ridcully » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm confused. I might be way off, but I cannot recall any line where rape of the goblin girl was hinted at or mentioned. So where does that come from? Goblins are considered vermin, remember? (and I am so not finishing the rest of this sentence...)

On topic:
Also, I agree with Tony. I didn't think too much of it. I thought Vimes was just saying that to rattle Feeney's cage in case he had something more to say.

Return to Latest books