Disturbing Trend in UA and Snuff: **Major Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:40 pm

No, but please give it to me. I don't think it will make any difference though; any quote that tries to draw a line between "normal" and "kinky" will most probably be ridiculed by me.
BaldJean

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm

there is one about using a feather is kinky but using the whole chicken is perverted but i dont think it was in pratchett more like forum :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 pm

chris.ph wrote:there is one about using a feather is kinky but using the whole chicken is perverted but i dont think it was in pratchett more like forum :lol: :lol:

I knew that one.
BaldJean

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:56 pm

:lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:58 pm

It's in Eric.

I feel a bit Hipster now, seeing I seem to be one of the few persons who read that :x
LilMaibe

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:04 pm

I read "Eric", but I don't remember any quote about normal and kinky.
BaldJean

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

I just read "Eric" again, and I have no idea which quote you are referring to.
BaldJean

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:21 pm

It's pretty early, when we see how the Librarian is dealing with the heat
LilMaibe

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm

So you also mean the "feather and chicken" quote? I thought you meant something else.

That is not the usual definition for "kinky" though. The usual definition goes: "What I do is normal, what others do is kinky". It is the same as "Other people are pigheaded, I have firm opinions" or "Other people are greedy, I want to make a living". There are dozens of quotes like that. Actually the "feather and chicken" quote of course implies "I use the feather, of course".
BaldJean

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:40 pm

True, true.

What I was heading for was more the, well, shift and I got reminded of the quote.
Yes, people's opinion on such topics vary and what made me 'wonder' is the actual increase of the combination of sex and scatalogical themes.
As said, nothing against fiction being 'unclean', but also everything in limits.
It's just rather bothersome that scenes like that are in the novel but actually fulfill no real purpose (again, can't speak for Thud or Snuff here, but for example in Making Money this whole fetish sex stuff and Harry King seemed...out of place and pretty pointless)
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 pm

LilMaibe wrote:It's pretty early, when we see how the Librarian is dealing with the heat
Do you mean The Last Continent? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't read books thinking "what point does the author want to make?" all the time; that is something which is only done for literature lessons. The author does not need to make a point; that's a mere invention of literature critics. But if I ever read a book like that I would easily spot the point in the example you give: It is the contrast between the very formal official life of a banker and the rather deviant private life. The message is along the line "Don't judge a book by its cover".
BaldJean

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:It's pretty early, when we see how the Librarian is dealing with the heat
Do you mean The Last Continent? :?

Nope :) In LC it was winter and the Librarian had gone ill. In Eric there's a heatwave over the city and the Librarian is relaxing in the basement where they store the naughty book in barrels of icewater.

BaldJean wrote:I don't read books thinking "what point does the author want to make?" all the time; that is something which is only done for literature lessons. The author does not need to make a point; that's a mere invention of literature critics. But if I ever read a book like that I would easily spot the point in the example you give: It is the contrast between the very formal official life of a banker and the rather deviant private life. The message is along the line "Don't judge a book by its cover".

I agree widely, but as mentioned before, I learned, in great part from Mr Pratchett's works, to actually think about the things I read, see, or even write.

A bad book leaves one, not only me, I'm certain, with a queasy feeling, whether one actually thought about the flow of events or not.
And it is especially off in a series like Discworld, as the things that baffled me are mistakes a beginner makes, not someone with a certain reputation AND editors and people who read the story even before the editor gets his hands on it.

It's the big picture these little things paint when put together that make me feel rather unwell.
LilMaibe

Postby stripy_tie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm not even going to pretend to know what this discussion is about anymore.
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby BaldJean » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:15 pm

I did not say I don't think about what I read; I just don't go "What is the author trying to tell me?" all the time. Since you are German you probably know Kurt Tucholsky. In his essay "Starter, die Fahne! Vorwärts mit 5 PS!" he describes his relationship with Siegfried Jacobsohn, the chief editor of the "Weltbühne", the magazine he was writing for. He mentioned his stylistic accuracy and that he often came to him showing him something he had written and asking: "What does that mean? It's cloudy", whereupon Tucholsky started in defense "I wanted to say that...", followed by some explanation, only to be interrupted by Jacobsohn with the words "Then say it"! That is what I want an author to stick to.
BaldJean

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books