Nation

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:49 am

jirzinek wrote:Thank you again! You are a lovely lot :)

Spray cans were mentioned right there in the very first chapter (for "spitting" the disinfectant on Cutty Wren).

And if there is something else a translator of Nation should know, tell me :)
Difficult to say really as a lot of the stuff that might seem odd to a person in another country, might be perfectly normal to us here.

Regarding the spray cans - I suspect it's not so much an aerosol and rather more an old fashioned pump attached to a can that someome would have to pump back and fore to get a spray out.

I do wish you loads of good luck with this project though and please let us know if we can help further. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Parkstee » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:12 pm

jirzinek good look with the translation and you have a pm :wink:
Parkstee

Postby jirzinek » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Just this morning I got a message from the Nation editor and you were right about spray cans - they worked like pumps rather than aerosol.

As for Twinkle - it's supposed to be a baby word for a penis, although it's rare now. Did you know? :)
jirzinek

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:40 pm

jirzinek wrote:
As for Twinkle - it's supposed to be a baby word for a penis, although it's rare now. Did you know? :)

Well yes, I wondered about that. Don't think I've ever used that word for that purpose, but was vaguely aware of it. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby jirzinek » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 pm

A few more questions :)

1)
I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "up close" in the following sentence (p. 210):

"He (Pilu) managed to suggest that the trouble had not been made by him, very definitely not by him, and that he was against trouble of any kind, particularly any trouble up close. Ever since the Twinkle song, he had always been a little nervous of Daphne."

2)
What's the meaning of "struggling" in what an inner voice says to Daphne (p. 233):
"How is it that you hear us? We are blown about by the wind, and our voices are weak, but you, a trouserman, heard our struggling silence! How?"

3)
How do you understand "humpty" and is it a word made up by the author?
(p. 297):
"The captain got humpty. Crew who'd served with him for a long time said he was a decent man and a good captain, and they'd never seen him get humpty before. Everyone suffered under a humpty captain..."

4)
When Mau and Daphne come back to the cage, at one point she says (p. 309):
"I think people from this island sailed around the world, a long, long time ago. You remembered, but over the years it became a story for little children."
Even down in the dark, Mau thought.

Somehow I cannot see what this "Even down in the dark" thought relates to...

5)
When Daphne takes gold false teeth from a little boy, she says (p. 314)

"Tell the little boy I will give him an arm's length of sugar cane for them and he can stretch as much as he likes. Is that a trade?"

What's her point about stretching exactly?

Would anyone like to help?

Thanks a lot!
jirzinek

Postby Dotsie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 am

1) Up close = nearby

2) The voices struggle because they are trying to be heard.

3) It means bad-tempered (but not particularly aggressive), & is probably made up by Terry. The closest word we have in English is grumpy, which means the same thing.

4) & 5) - sorry, I'm not sure. I'd need to see the rest of the page for both to decide I think!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am

Got the Hump, no that word is not made up by Terry it is a popular word in use in Scotland as you say in a bad mood/temper or upset with someone or something if they are generally that way described as a humpy person to put it politely. :)

#5 I would think that being sugar candy if it was warmed it would stretch in length making it longer, so he could make it last longer by snaping of short thinner pieces.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Byakuran » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Right, I just skipped through this entire thread because I HAVEN'T GOT IT YET!!! :(

I don't have a lot of spare cash right now (student...), but is it worth the buy? I think I heard that it was completely different from his usual style, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. :)
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 pm

(coughs and says nothing) :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Byakuran » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks Chris, that was most informative :D

I take it you're not recommending the book?
Byakuran

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:19 pm

I enjoyed reading it Byakuran. It certainly is different from Discworld though. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 pm

I thought it was great. Well worth the money and much better than Making Money. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Byakuran » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:45 am

Tonyblack wrote:I thought it was great. Well worth the money and much better than Making Money. :)

Haha I'd rather make money than spend it :D

I'll try and grab hold of a copy soon and get back to you ;)
Byakuran

Postby TheMole » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:41 am

jirzinek wrote:Hi! I'm translating Nation into Polish and I wonder if you could help me with a few queries:

1) What do the acronyms M.R.H and F.R.A stand for (It's in "Birds of the Great Southern Pelagic Ocean by H.J. Hookwarm, MRH, FRA...) p.103

Isn´t there something like "Most Right Honourable" in English?

by the way, our Czech translator thinks that FRA means Full Retirement Age :wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:29 am

Not sure about Right Most Honourable - maybe Most Right Honourable? :? But that would be at the start of the name rather then the end.
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books