Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Considering what a disaster the watch were in TFE when Vimes was away and Carrot left I'm not sure how well it would work

but there are possibilities, esp if Angua and Cheery were there

Seeing as Angua got promoted to Captain in "I Shall Wear Midnight" they now have 3 people capable of running the show so there's little chance of another 5th Elephant occurring. In addition, I strongly believe that given the Watch when created had 5 Captain spots [The New Discworld Companion] Cheery, a troll (most likely Detritius) and a member of some other species [Dorfl perhaps] will also be Captains

As for the meaning of Snuff I think in this case it's referring to the Troll drug rather than snuff films or tobacco
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Is there a Troll drug called Snuff?

I can remember Slab, Scrape Slice and maybe a few other variations but not snuff.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Seeing as they all start with 'S' for reasons Detritus outlined I was operating on the assumption that it's a new drug
One Man Bucket

Postby BatrickPatrick » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:16 pm

AHHH that's interesting, I wouldn't have thought of it being a drug...
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Dotsie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:54 am

Good point. If there are other captains though, I think they'll be new characters. The main characters can't be the ones who get the best jobs, just because they've been there longest (that's no way to run a Watch :wink: ).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby One Man Bucket » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 am

Dotsie wrote:Good point. If there are other captains though, I think they'll be new characters. The main characters can't be the ones who get the best jobs, just because they've been there longest (that's no way to run a Watch :wink: ).

Because they've been there for the longest they're the most experienced,any way, it's not like my suggestions are incompetents bordering on semi-competence like Nobby and Colon. Cheery is good at her job as is Dorfl. Now Detritus seems to be a question mark as he's been having deeper and deeper thoughts as the series progresses so he might be capable of doing the job without needing to adjust his helmet. People like Reg and Visit aren't described as more than competent and someone like Salacia is too new even with the rapid promotions that take place in the Watch. In addition the leadership of the Watch being diverse sends a good message
One Man Bucket

Postby Dotsie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:19 pm

I don't think Terry would be so dull as to make all the main characters from the first three watch books captains. Length of service is no indication of ability to do a captain's job, neither is competence as a lower ranking officer. The watch is huge now, why should it be these characters just because you like them?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Detritus is a natural born sergeant :wink: It would be a shame to promote him to captain :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby One Man Bucket » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Dotsie wrote:I don't think Terry would be so dull as to make all the main characters from the first three watch books captains. Length of service is no indication of ability to do a captain's job, neither is competence as a lower ranking officer. The watch is huge now, why should it be these characters just because you like them?

It's not a matter of liking them, though I do, I'm looking at most competent known characters and considering the fact the Watch has been used from Men at Arms as an example of the diversity of AM. I'd be just fine with new characters taking the spots but Angua's promotion suggests to me that Terry might very well do what you so strongly believe he wont. It's not like Angua stood head and shoulders above every other copper like Carrot and Vimes did so her promotion could very well be favouritism on Pratchett's part and possibly on Carrot's.
One Man Bucket

Postby Dotsie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 am

I doubt very much Carrot would show favouritism, and Terry certainly wouldn't. Angua got the job because she has a very different skill set from any other officer, that goes beyond competency.

One Man Bucket wrote:I'm looking at most competent known characters

Exactly. But if you really wanted to fill a post, you wouldn't just look at people you know, would you?

Anyway, Snuff will probably settle it :wink:
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 am

It's not about Troll drugs, it's about goblins! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby One Man Bucket » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 am

poohcarrot wrote:It's not about Troll drugs, it's about goblins! :D

I thought Goblins were mentioned in the extract rather than the story being explicitly stated to be about them

Dotsie wrote:I doubt very much Carrot would show favouritism, and Terry certainly wouldn't. Angua got the job because she has a very different skill set from any other officer, that goes beyond competency.

She was capable of using that skill set to maximum effect as a Sergeant so how would being a Captain help. She didn't do anything in I Shall Wear Midnight that we haven't seen her do before, If anything she did less. As seen with Carrot, the spot of Captain seems to involve a lot of paperwork especially in light of the fact Vimes doesn't like it [things may have changed since he started using his Disorganiser] and putting Angua behind a desk is a waste.

One Man Bucket wrote:I'm looking at most competent known characters

Exactly. But if you really wanted to fill a post, you wouldn't just look at people you know, would you?

Anyway, Snuff will probably settle it :wink:

Indeed, it will.
One Man Bucket

Postby Dotsie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:14 am

No, you misunderstand. The last word was this:

Dotsie wrote:Anyway, Snuff will probably settle it :wink:

:P
Dotsie

Postby One Man Bucket » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:23 am

I'm not fluent in smileish so I don't what you're saying or implying :cry:
One Man Bucket

Postby Dotsie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Don't cry, I was just kidding!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books