Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Serendipituously (is that a word?), I picked up my reserve copy from the library and received my ordered version in the mail.

I know nothing about the book trade, but it seemed very odd to me that the library version was larger than the one I bought. The library's version said it was a first edition (US); the ordered one wasn't. I bought mine through Book of the Month, so maybe this is why it's different? Still, it just seems strange that on a first run of a book they'd print it in multiple sizes, unless it's done to save on shipping costs?
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Library editions are normally different as they are specifically for library use, and they use the same format for the enlarged print editions.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby deldaisy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:20 pm

raisindot wrote:Serendipituously (is that a word?), I picked up my reserve copy from the library and received my ordered version in the mail.

I know nothing about the book trade, but it seemed very odd to me that the library version was larger than the one I bought. The library's version said it was a first edition (US); the ordered one wasn't. I bought mine through Book of the Month, so maybe this is why it's different? Still, it just seems strange that on a first run of a book they'd print it in multiple sizes, unless it's done to save on shipping costs?

The library waiting list for Snuff here started last year! :lol:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby raisindot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:19 pm

deldaisy wrote:The library waiting list for Snuff here started last year! :lol:

See, that shows the difference in popularity Pterry has in the rest of the English-speaking world vs. the U.S.. I was the first one to reserve Snuff book in the library system covering my entire county of 2 million people. (I did it about two weeks ago), and even now there are only a handful of people waiting for it.
raisindot

Postby RJH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm

RJH

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks RJH! Interesting review. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby RJH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Thanks RJH! Interesting review. :D

I thought so as well, will comment more when I have finished the book although I do agree with his comment about Vimes but that does not take away from what has so far been an interesting read.
RJH

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Very complimentary review. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks RJH, that was an interesting review. :D

I've just watched Sir Terry's interview on BBC News and was a little surprised to hear that Snuff is the third fastest selling book since records began. :shock:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 am

A lot of people may not have read Discworld, but it seems that there's very few people, in this country at least, who haven't heard of Terry because of his TV programmes etc.

I think all that has done a lot to increase his readership.
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 am

Penfold wrote:Thanks RJH, that was an interesting review. :D

I've just watched Sir Terry's interview on BBC News and was a little surprised to hear that Snuff is the third fastest selling book since records began. :shock:
:shock: So that's why there were none left in Sainsburys yesterday...! 8) I currently stand at 40 pages from the end. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:20 am

I finished it last night and thought it was amazing. :D Sharlene is reading it for the third time already. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:23 am

Wow that's fast! I usually get a book read in 2 weeks but I am happy that this one will have taken me 7 days exactly. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 pm

This feegled from the main site.

Snuff - the brand new novel from Terry Pratchett
Snuff became the third fastest selling novel since records began after selling over 55,000 copies in the UK in its first three days of being on sale.

Only Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol (2009) and Thomas Harris’ Hannibal (1999) have sold more copies in the UK during the first week of sale.

Snuff – published in the UK by Transworld Publishers - was one of more than 200 hardbacks to hit the shelves on Thursday last week (13th October), in what was another huge day in the 2011 publishing calendar.

Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said, “[Pratchett] is now firmly established as one of the nation’s most important and widely read authors, with so much to say about the world in which we live. I couldn’t be more delighted that with Snuff, Terry now joins a very select band of record-breakers.”

Congratulations to Terry and a huge thank you to everyone who purchased a copy of Snuff.

And from the Guardian.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 69986.html
Who's Wee Dug

Postby RJH » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Just finished the book tonight and really enjoyed it, going to review on my site later.
RJH

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books